Read a good Horror novel lately?

WriterX

Happy Thanksgiving!
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good horror novelist? Outside, the well-knowns listed below.

I find it difficult to find horror novelist I enjoy. As I've stated on another thread. I LOVE Dean Koontz, I go hot and cold on King, and do not like Anne Rice. I also love F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series. If you aren't familiar with those, check 'em out.

I'm looking for lesser known but good horror writers. Not too heavy on the gore, good intriguing characters, and a lot of atmosphere.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Try Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box. I'm only a few chapters in, but his writing is fantastic, and the story is extremely gripping. It's really giving me the willies. Oh, and it has tons of atmosphere.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Heart-Shaped Box, definitely.

Justin Evans's A Good and Happy Child

WriterX

Happy Thanksgiving!
Registered
Reaction score
Huge thanks to both aadams and Will! That is just what I'm looking for. I just read about him. He's actually Stephen King's son. How cool is this.

Reaction score
I recently read Shaun Hutson's Dying Words and it made baby Jesus cry. So don't waste your time on it. :D

I liked Simon Clark's The Fall but I don't know if it's still in print. I've never seen it in the library or in book shops.

Tymolee

Registered
Reaction score
You and I have very similar taste in authors... I love F. Paul Wilson, feel the same about Koontz, King and Rice as you.

Have you read anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I don't know if they necessarily count as horror (some of their books do, I think - Relic and Reliquiary, but Ice Limit, Thunderhead, etc. are good), but the books have great atmosphere, intriguing characters, and very suspenseful. There's occasionally some gore... but usually it's not too bad. They rate high on my "buy it the day it comes out" list... and the only other person on that anymore is F. Paul Wilson.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Try Gary Braunbeck--particularly In Silent Graves. One of the best I've read in a long time.

WriterX

Happy Thanksgiving!
Registered
Reaction score
You and I have very similar taste in authors... I love F. Paul Wilson, feel the same about Koontz, King and Rice as you.

Have you read anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I don't know if they necessarily count as horror (some of their books do, I think - Relic and Reliquiary, but Ice Limit, Thunderhead, etc. are good), but the books have great atmosphere, intriguing characters, and very suspenseful. There's occasionally some gore... but usually it's not too bad. They rate high on my "buy it the day it comes out" list... and the only other person on that anymore is F. Paul Wilson.

It's okay if they aren't quite horror. I think Koontz and Wilson sometimes fall into that category; more thriller. But that's good too.

I read Relic and loved it. I'll check some of their others out. Thanks!