How'd You Find This Site?

SMC101

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously though, I was just poking around for places that might pay me for writing.

ABCDZ

Registered
Reaction score
I found this site while procrastinating instead of writing. I think I followed a link from another writer's page.

vivalalauren

Registered
Reaction score
Twitter, although for the longest time I thought there was just this magical place called AW due to character limits. I wondered if it was some sort of oasis where plots randomly solved themselves.

Figuro

Registered
Reaction score
My crit writing partner recommended I join this site.

She said that she lived on here - whenever she had a free moment and enjoyed the discussion threads. It's also where she met one of her other crit partners.

walter101

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
One of my companions told me about it. She is a local writer who was literally saved from financial disaster by using this site. I am still a big fan of books, and now audio books. She types here what I tell her. My late second wife was a children's book illustrator, so I thought it would be nice to see what other authors think and write about when not actually composing their great american novels.

Voxtrot

Registered
Reaction score
I found this site through a google search going something like this: 'Is it easier to publish short stories than novels?'

And I found such a great thread on this site, devoted exactly to that question, that I decided to join.

Wurdsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
I found this site by searching for feedback for various agents I was considering for submissions. I found the information extremely helpful. Did some more research and discovered this site was much more than just agent feedback.

Soon Lee

Registered
Reaction score
First time was via Making Light, but more recently as a refugee after the Asimov's & Analog fora got shut down.

Saildone

Registered
Reaction score
Search engine

I was searching for information about the average length of a book; found this site and found it interesting. Poked around a little and decided to register so I can really wander around in here.

G.P.

Greg
Registered
Reaction score
Website
iwritetoo.weebly.com
Strangely enough I was on a plane bound for the Caribbean when engine trouble forced my jet down into the sea. floating on a raft made of Samsonite bound together by women's lingerie, I eventually washed up on a seemingly uninhabited island approximately half the size of Iowa. Tired, hungry, and deprived of much needed hydration I traveled inland to search for fresh water. I soon came to a small creek surrounded by strange broad leafed plants that I could use for a shelter of sorts. A fire was quickly ignited and I lay in the grass looking up at the stars through the dense foliage. Strange how the sky look so different here I thought. I laid there for the better part of an hour listening to the noises of the jungle, straining to hear any sounds that might warn of a nocturnal predator. How many of us had survived? My thoughts began to turn dark as loneliness washed through me.

Feeling quite alone and uncomfortable I sat up, something was glowing through the underbrush to my left, dimly at first then it began to grow in waves of pulsating light. Rising from the seclusion of my makeshift shelter I crept slowly forward towards the source of the light. Broad sharp leaves cut at my arms and face and my feet were beginning to feel raw from the rough terrain upon which I crept. Slowly, carefully, I twisted my way through a small growth of low trees to the edge of the light. Peering around the edge of a gnarled tree trunk I saw a large table of smooth polished stone that appeared to shimmer as if it were the source of light itself.

"Impossible," I whispered hoarsely to myself. Nothing I had ever witnessed before even came close to the spectacular scene that I alone now witnessed. Trembling with fear and excitement I slipped silently from the trees, drawn towards the stone dais, it's radiant light drawing me forward, beckoning to my soul with a fervor I had not known before. For what seemed like an hour I stood before the giant alter basking in the awe of it's presence. shaking uncontrollably I stretched my hand forward and ran it across the smooth surface, tracing intricate lines of some unknown language carved in the stone. Studying the symbols more closely I noticed that they had begun to form a pattern, one that was strangely familiar yet unknown. Upon further study I finally made out...

http://absolutewrite.com/
... And here I am today!

Well, either that or I stumbled upon it using google, not really sure.

Last edited:

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
When I got serious about writing (in 2009?) I was googling the best writing websites and forums and found AW.

Linds

Can't Touch This, Stop, Query Time!
Registered
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this site via a writer's blog during a late night round of internet procrastination. I lurked for the night and decided to sign up. Seems like a great place to connect to other writers.

Matchy

Lazy Daizy...
Registered
Reaction score
I ran into this site thanks to the powerful magic of google-fu - I was researching several writing related things and always stumbled over AW. It seems like the road to writing leads through AW - at least for me.