What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Pretties is a little hard to get into, with all the bubbly Tally-wa and Shay-la stuff. Keep reading, though. It's a good book. :)
Yeah, I never picked up Pretties because I read the preview and it was all so bubbly and bogus and bubbly and bogus that I was like, "OMG, I won't get past the first chapter." Uglies suffers from that a little at the beginning (everything is so pretty or so ugly all the time, not even when we're talking about Uglies vs. Pretties), but I didn't think I could get through the bubbly/bogus stuff

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Deathly Hallows a few days ago. The best book, but saddest, one I have ever read, I'd say. I enjoyed it, but it made me cry so much. Like (spoilers ahead. Hahah), when Fred died, and Lupin and Tonks died-I think their death was the worst with me-, and then when Harry was talking to his parents and Lupin and Sirius with that rock (I'm already forgetting stuff)... I was super shocked when Snape was killed, and I cried with his memory. The part that made me cry the most was when I read the name of Harry's son, Albus Severus, and how he was saying Sanpe was probably the bravest man he knew... I bawled. I don't know why. Hahah.

Sorry for the rambling.

I don't know what to read now. Maybe someone needs to come out with a rip off ;) I could do that... Hahaha.

Last edited:

JulianaHaygert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julianahaygert.com
I just finished the Iron King by Julie Kagawa ...

It was sitting in my TBR list for a long time and I just knew I wanted to read it, I just never did ... I'm mad cause I didn't get to it earlier--it's great!!

Now, off to the rest of the series =)

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Pretties is a little hard to get into, with all the bubbly Tally-wa and Shay-la stuff. Keep reading, though. It's a good book. :)

Hah.. that's exactly the problem I'm having with it. I'll give it one more go and hope I can make it more than 5 pages before putting it down for good.

The other part of it though is that even after finishing Uglies, I don't feel like I have a good insight into any of the characters. They all feel really flat.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I have recently begun a campaign of reading lots of YA and MG books to dig into the genre more since it's what I write.
I recently read The Hunger Games and loved it. Re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I have some books at home from my own childhood that I re-read recently too but I want to go to the library and get into some new stuff! Re-reads are The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar, whose short concise scenes influence the way I write the scenes in my book and A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I just started on Forever, the last book of Maggie Stiefvater's Werewolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. I've been waiting for a while to get my hands on it (there was a long holding list in the library's system), and now that I started, I had to force myself to close the book and work on my own novel.

This book is currently sitting on my nightstand, looking so beautiful and calling to me every other minute. But, I took out a bunch of books from the library so I have to finish those before I dive in to Forever. But, I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Just finished Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers. I know people have issues with it though I'm not sure they're the same as mine. Overall, I LOVED this book hard. I loved the voice of parker and actually enjoyed being in her head. I can't wait for her 4th book to come out!!!

Now I'm finishing up Invincible Summer and then on to the first book in the Vampire Academy series and then...FOREVER. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I never picked up Pretties because I read the preview and it was all so bubbly and bogus and bubbly and bogus that I was like, "OMG, I won't get past the first chapter." Uglies suffers from that a little at the beginning (everything is so pretty or so ugly all the time, not even when we're talking about Uglies vs. Pretties), but I didn't think I could get through the bubbly/bogus stuff

Haha. It drove me crazy at first too, but I actually ended up liking it better than Uglies. The MC is tougher now and more likeable. I just started Specials tonight. We'll see how it goes. :)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just read rawther an interesting book called Brooklyn, Burning. The main character and love interest are of indeterminate gender (and most of the characters are bisexual, whatever they are). Or rather, their gender is not defined in the novel. The author avoids the ole pronoun problem with 1st and 2nd person, the MC is "I" and the LI is "you". They have indeterminate names as well (Kid and Scout). I was confused at first but I quite liked it. In my head they were two boys but they could have been anything really.

I heard of this one, but I didn't realize it was like that. Sounds intriguing. I may have to get it. :)

ETA: So, I just finished Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley last night, and OMG I LOVED it so hard. From the very first page, I was crushing on the writing. The characters were flawed, but funny and believable. I wish I could write books like that.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Graffiti Moon is one of my all-time favorites. And it was a present from DrummerGirl (thanks, Nomes!). :D

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I'm reading Mockingjay. I can tell you right now: I won't be finishing this within twenty four hours. With how it's making me feel, I'm not even certain I will be able to bring myself to finish it at all. I'll do my best -- I need to if I want to review it. I definitely have stuff to say...

It's not that it's poorly paced or written. Rather, Mockingjay is such a haunting portrayal of self-loathing, guilt and pain (this far, at least...) that I feel like crying when I attempt to keep going forward. Katniss is broken, Peeta is not with her and people want to use her for a "great and noble purpose" when it seems to me that she'd just as soon roll over and die.

I understand what Collins is doing here. I get that war is bad and that when people are forced to do terrible things it is likely that doing those terrible things will in turn do terrible things to their psyche. But I know better then to read stuff like this; I know how I react to it. Regardless of what happens to Katniss and Peeta, the best that can be hoped for is a bittersweet ending (a prediction here, obviously, as I'm not finished yet) ... because when someone is emotionally scarred to the point where their soul is broken, there's not much that can be done for them.

To anyone thinking of reading The Hunger Games ... I strongly advise you to decide from word go if you can handle pain. If you read the first book on it's own its alright. If you read all three I'm sure that it will all end up as Collins intended. But Catching Fire does not offer an ending that can be considered "the end". If you read past the first book you will need to either be prepared to face down Mockingjay or you will need to pretend you didn't read Catching Fire. Don't say I didn't warn you. (I know people warned me -- and part of me wishes I had listened.)

Lnlee

Reading and writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lylawrites.blogspot.com
I'm reading Mockingjay. I can tell you right now: I won't be finishing this within twenty four hours. With how it's making me feel, I'm not even certain I will be able to bring myself to finish it at all. I'll do my best -- I need to if I want to review it. I definitely have stuff to say...

It's not that it's poorly paced or written. Rather, Mockingjay is such a haunting portrayal of self-loathing, guilt and pain (this far, at least...) that I feel like crying when I attempt to keep going forward. Katniss is broken, Peeta is not with her and people want to use her for a "great and noble purpose" when it seems to me that she'd just as soon roll over and die.

I agree that the first part of Mockingjay is kinda hard to get through. It's just so depressing and she hides herself in closets and you're like: AWWWW ;_; I'm usually good at forcing myself to read things I might not necessarily enjoy, but I remember the friend I recommended it to took months to get past the beginning.

The only thing that kept me going was my faith in Collins and Katniss. (ie: I KNOW this book is going to get better. I KNOW IT.) And it did...about mid-way, I think. The pain/broken-ness is one of the reasons I love the Hunger Games, actually. Not that I'm a horrible person, but I think it's inspiring to see how much a character suffers and then deals with it/does something about it. It takes incredible strength, which is why Katniss is one of the MCs in YA that I respect the most.

Last edited:

Lnlee

Reading and writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lylawrites.blogspot.com
This book is currently sitting on my nightstand, looking so beautiful and calling to me every other minute. But, I took out a bunch of books from the library so I have to finish those before I dive in to Forever. But, I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

I'm about three-quarters along Forever now, and I'm loving it. The characters grow even more in this book (esp Cole and Sam), which I love. I'm trying to slow myself down now so I can savor the ending, but there's a bit of a suspense going on that makes this incredibly hard.

I love Maggie Stiefvater. I've read all her books.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
My reading has been shoved to the side for a while so I can put the final push on my own WIP, but today I dug CATHERINE AND THE PIRATE out of a closet and I couldn't resist sitting down with it. I haven't read it since I was a teenager, but it's like curling up with an old friend-- I know all the good parts and the bad, and it feels so cosy to get reacquainted.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm reading SCARS by Cheryl Rainfield. I received a signed copy from the author. Also...I'm reading WITHER.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just finished Summer on Fire by Kevin Craig (AW's own KTC) which I liked a lot. If you are curious to hear my thoughts, I reviewed it on my blog. The short answer, though? Highly recommended. :)

Again...thanks SOOOOOOO much. Your review is one that writers DREAM about receiving. Still on cloud nine! (-:

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Again...thanks SOOOOOOO much. Your review is one that writers DREAM about receiving. Still on cloud nine! (-:

Welcome. :) I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true.

I just finished Mockingjay. Wow was that a hell of a ride. The first fifty pages or so were almost impossible to read because they made me so sad, but the book got much better after that. (Yes, I reviewed it. Don't want to bog this thread down with that. :p)

I just got a huge shipment of books in from Amazon this afternoon. (Anna and the French Kiss, Perfect Chemistry, The Sky Is Everywhere, Nevermore, Fallen, Divergent, Wither, Delirium, Bumped, Heist Society and Keturah and Lord Death... Not going to count the books *on* writing.)

I think that I'm going to read Anna and the French Kiss next.

Last edited:

trirae

Registered
Reaction score
Website
triciaclasen.com
I just got a huge shipment of books in from Amazon this afternoon. (Anna and the French Kiss, Perfect Chemistry, The Sky Is Everywhere, Nevermore, Fallen, Divergent, Wither, Delirium, Bumped, Heist Society and Keturah and Lord Death... Not going to count the books *on* writing.)

Oh my goodness you have some lovely books to read in there. You've picked one of my 3 favortes of the year so far as a starting point, and you've got another one of my top choices in that list as well. Enjoy!

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
Has anyone ready any of Lisa Mantchev's books from the Theatre Illuminata series (Eyes Like Stars etc)?
Just curious.
I'm debating whether or not to buy them now. I already have a ton of to-be-read books on my shelf. But the cover art is so gorgeous, and the plot kinda intrigues me.
So.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score

OMG!!! I am so so so so jealous of all those book you now own. Holy crapers, girl! Anna is AMAZING. Good place to start. From your list, I desperately want to read, Perfect Chemistry, They Sky is Everywhere, Nevermore, Fallen, Divergent, Bumped, and Heist Society. Gosh you make me so tempted to just go blow money I don't have!

milkymoon

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'before i die' by jenny downham and my pillow is saturated by tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.