FAN-SITES

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this thread to Book Promotion Ideas and Advice because it's a perfect fit, but I'm also going to suggest, at the risk of appearing egotistical, that you start by reading the thread that's stickied there:

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

The thing is, you don't want to promote YOUR BOOK as an author; you want to participate in a conversation with other people who like the kinds of books you like, presumably, and write.

Promoting the book(s) is secondary. Otherwise, it doesn't work very well.

Hieronymous

An Awakening Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marcroyston.wordpress.com
I'm going to move this thread to Book Promotion Ideas and Advice because it's a perfect fit, but I'm also going to suggest, at the risk of appearing egotistical, that you start by reading the thread that's stickied there:

How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb

The thing is, you don't want to promote YOUR BOOK as an author; you want to participate in a conversation with other people who like the kinds of books you like, presumably, and write.

Promoting the book(s) is secondary. Otherwise, it doesn't work very well.
VERY much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering what are the best fan-sites to interact with fans of Fantasy and to promote yourself as an author.

Thanks!

That bolded part...That is not what fan sites are for. Fan sites generally frown upon people coming there to do self-promo, and you are likely to alienate more readers than you gain.
You don't have to hide that you are an author if/when you are on a fan site, but going on a fan site for any other purpose than being a fan is generally a bad idea. If you really are a fan, engage as a fan, and most likely people will be interested in what you do as an author because you are a fellow fan.

That being said, some sites with forums have self promotion sub-forums. I'm personally still at the "finish writing the story"-stage, so I have no idea of the effectiveness of those for promotion. But I'll make an educated guess that it will be more effective if you are already an active part of the fan community on that site.

ETA: Some forums worth checking out if you are interested in Fantasy are:
http://www.rantingdragon.com/forum/
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/

Last edited:

Hieronymous

An Awakening Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marcroyston.wordpress.com
That bolded part...That is not what fan sites are for. Fan sites generally frown upon people coming there to do self-promo, and you are likely to alienate more readers than you gain.
You don't have to hide that you are an author if/when you are on a fan site, but going on a fan site for any other purpose than being a fan is generally a bad idea. If you really are a fan, engage as a fan, and most likely people will be interested in what you do as an author because you are a fellow fan.

That being said, some sites with forums have self promotion sub-forums. I'm personally still at the "finish writing the story"-stage, so I have no idea of the effectiveness of those for promotion. But I'll make an educated guess that it will be more effective if you are already an active part of the fan community on that site.

ETA: Some forums worth checking out if you are interested in Fantasy are:
http://www.rantingdragon.com/forum/
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/
Thanks! :) At the least, it would be useful to know where the genre fans are talking and to hear what their likes and dislikes and concerns are. I've seen from several posts that one can "quietly" promote just be taking part in the discussions while maintaining a link in your signature (without any further prodding for anyone to seek out your site, just maintaining a presence within the community).

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Thanks! :) At the least, it would be useful to know where the genre fans are talking and to hear what their likes and dislikes and concerns are. I've seen from several posts that one can "quietly" promote just be taking part in the discussions while maintaining a link in your signature (without any further prodding for anyone to seek out your site, just maintaining a presence within the community).

Absolutely. Precisely. Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.