[RESOLVED] Pop-ups won't go away

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: I'm frustrated...

I have pop-ups blocked and use FireFox but still get pop-ups in an IE window.

I have uninstalled IE. When I close the pop-up I get another saying "Internet Explorer encountered a problem and is not working properly", I'm guessing because I've uninstalled it.

I've also tried uninstalling uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox ...? Any other suggestions?

This all started when I downloaded a media reader then decided I didn't want it, so I removed it, now these pop-ups won't go away. :rant:

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And you've checked the Contents settings in Firefox, including the exceptions?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

shyne

At your service
Registered
Reaction score
http://adblockplus.org/en/installation

Once installed, you'll see the stop sign in the upper right corner of FF. Click the drop down and select preferences, filter, add filter subscription. Subscribe to all of the filters and you should be good to go.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This all started when I downloaded a media reader then decided I didn't want it, so I removed it, now these pop-ups won't go away. :rant:

Hmm, sounds virus/malware-y. I suggest a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and possibly a round of Spybot S&D as well.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://adblockplus.org/en/installation

Once installed, you'll see the stop sign in the upper right corner of FF. Click the drop down and select preferences, filter, add filter subscription. Subscribe to all of the filters and you should be good to go.
okay, I tried this and we'll see what happens! thanks Shyne!

Hmm, sounds virus/malware-y. I suggest a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and possibly a round of Spybot S&D as well.
hmmm....that's what I was afraid of :(

Xvee

I Need Monkeys
Registered
Reaction score
Google and download Microsoft Security Essentials, it's a free and very good protection software that will clean up your system.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AdBlocker may or may not work in this case, but you should have it anyway. If it doesn't work for these pop-ups, keep it for use on other websites.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys--I'll keep you abreast of any developments :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking...is it saying Internet Explorer is not working properly or is it saying Windows Explorer is not working properly.

They mean very different things...
yanno....I don't recall now you mention it. I did just get another pop-up, so I'm sure there will be more. I'll post again and pay closer attention...:)

thanks!

Lex

Fanciful Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like malware, unless what's happening is your default browser is still set to IE. Make sure you've set Firefox as your default browser. When you click on a link, Firefox should launch, not IE.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking...is it saying Internet Explorer is not working properly or is it saying Windows Explorer is not working properly.

They mean very different things...
"Internet Explorer has stopped working"

You've got malware.
GAH! what do I do?!
Definitely sounds like malware, unless what's happening is your default browser is still set to IE. Make sure you've set Firefox as your default browser. When you click on a link, Firefox should launch, not IE.
No, IE isn't even on my computer anymore...:-/

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just tried to run my DefenderPro to see what it said and apparently, it's gone. I must have deleted it while trying to uninstall other crap.

*head explodes*

I don't even know if I ever created a restore point. What's so stupid, is that this is all my own stupid fault.

Ugh...

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Don't panic. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Install it if possible. Restart the PC. Boot into safe mode (google it, but holding down F8 while Windows is loading I think will do the trick.) This ought to prevent anything nasty from loading into your Windows session. Now run Anti-Malware - don't change any settings, just get it scanning. If you have an infection, that ought to clear it up. When it is done, reboot normally.

PS When I say install it if possible, some malware may try to stop you installing it while it is running; if so, you will need to install it in safe mode.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just tried to run my DefenderPro to see what it said and apparently, it's gone. I must have deleted it while trying to uninstall other crap.

*head explodes*

I don't even know if I ever created a restore point. What's so stupid, is that this is all my own stupid fault.

Ugh...
Your system will create its own restore points from time to time. Check to see.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was able to get my DefenderPro back but when I click on the DefenderPro icon to run the program I keep getting a message that says

One or more activex controls could not be displayed because either:
1. your current security settings prohibit running activex
controls on this page, or
2. you have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.
as a result, the page may not display correctly.
and the window box doesn't look normal; there's no minimize button or "x" to exit out of the screen.

Not sure if this is something to do with my bug or not.

ETA: AC, I'll look for that. Thanks :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Install it if possible. Restart the PC. Boot into safe mode (google it, but holding down F8 while Windows is loading I think will do the trick.) This ought to prevent anything nasty from loading into your Windows session. Now run Anti-Malware - don't change any settings, just get it scanning. If you have an infection, that ought to clear it up. When it is done, reboot normally.

PS When I say install it if possible, some malware may try to stop you installing it while it is running; if so, you will need to install it in safe mode.

This makes me nervous... I'm afrad I'll screw it up, lol (imagine that)!
I'll google it, as you say:) thank you!

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I was able to get my DefenderPro back but when I click on the DefenderPro icon to run the program I keep getting a message that says

and the window box doesn't look normal; there's no minimize button or "x" to exit out of the screen.

Not sure if this is something to do with my bug

yep, I suspect whatever-it-is is preventing anything helpful from running; hence, you need to boot into safe mode to kill it. Actually, as confirmation you are dealing with a malware infection, try getting Task Manager up (CTRL-ALT-DEL). I'm betting it will be blocking that too.

Again don't panic: this kind of stuff is usually very cleanable.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
try getting Task Manager up (CTRL-ALT-DEL). I'm betting it will be blocking that too.
I was able to get this up...

Again don't panic: this kind of stuff is usually very cleanable.
Oh sure, tell me that now--AFTER I've pulled all my hair out :D

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

hallelujah

It worked! thank you SOOOO much!

:snoopy: