Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Anyone else notice that not many agents rep horror?

A simple search on Agentquery brings up about 45 agents that take horror.

The problem is that of these 45 who are listed as accepting horror, many of them don't actually rep it.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that is definately at the back of my mind as I write my horror novel. I'm uncomfortable with it, but never the less, I'm still gonna push.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Have the zombie kiss his victim befor he eats him, and call it a romance.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Haggis said:

I agree, Haggis. :roll:

Emeraldcite,
You're right. I did notice that there are alot who are taking urban fantasy, and some dark. I was told to market mine as dark fantasy, which equates to horror. You may want to try that. A friend of mine is a successful horror writer and that's how he marketed his. His agent didn't rep horror either, but now she does. Don't send it to someone who says specifically that they hate horror, but if they rep fantasy with no specifics mentioned, I slip that dark fantasy in.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes you can slip a horror novel to an agent as a thriller. I write horror, but they can also be classified as a thriller so those are the agents I tend to query.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Sometimes you can slip a horror novel to an agent as a thriller. I write horror, but they can also be classified as a thriller so those are the agents I tend to query.

Excellent, excellent, excellent point, SW!

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
I agree, Haggis. :roll:

Emeraldcite,
You're right. I did notice that there are alot who are taking urban fantasy, and some dark. I was told to market mine as dark fantasy, which equates to horror. You may want to try that. A friend of mine is a successful horror writer and that's how he marketed his. His agent didn't rep horror either, but now she does. Don't send it to someone who says specifically that they hate horror, but if they rep fantasy with no specifics mentioned, I slip that dark fantasy in.
Note to self.... I'll have to remember that...

I was appalled at the lack of agents who listed horror.... it was, well, horrifying... :D

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Haggis said:

:roll:

Mine is romance. I mean, the boyfriends is splatered all over a road and then kills everyone his spirit can reach but she still loves him.

You'd like it Haggis. Lots of blood and guts. I pride myself on killing a dozen people on the same spot, each with a different flair. The girlfriend dies too but not really, much to the surprise of the medical examiner, but she gets shot and burned and all sorts of cool stuff. :D

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're right. I did notice that there are alot who are taking urban fantasy, and some dark. I was told to market mine as dark fantasy, which equates to horror.

I agree, but it's still tough to weed out the agents who say they represent horror and dark/urban fantasy and those who actually do rep it.

Horror has a strong midlist prescence, but there's no one really at the helm anymore on the bestseller lists like there used to be.

I recall the days of 800 page epic paperback horrors in the 80s. King hardly writes horror and Koontz is all weird.

Don't get me wrong, I love the midlist horror writers (i'm even signed up for the Leisure Horror Book Club :) )

but, it would be nice to see some really horror on the Times. Pubs tend to buy buy buy when it's hot.

So, Liam, when are you going to get your book up there on the list?

Del

Registered
Reaction score
emeraldcite said:
Horror has a strong midlist prescence, but there's no one really at the helm anymore on the bestseller lists like there used to be.

I recall the days of 800 page epic paperback horrors in the 80s. King hardly writes horror and Koontz is all weird.

That makes me wonder. What is horror? Heck, maybe I don't write horror after all.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Emeraldcite,
You are right! I'd like to see some more horror folks on the bestseller lists as well. I just got a request for my 1st 100 pages from an agent at the Ralph Vicinanza agency. Mr. Vicinanza is Stephen King's agent! They are out there, it's just a matter of convincing them! Liam, get on that bestseller list. I'm going to buy your book! Can't wait to read it!

Del

Registered
Reaction score
I've just read something very convincing that a first-timer should do his own leg work and forget about agents. The consensus being that a the agent you want isn't going to look twice if you don't have credentials and the agent you could get you likely don't want.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Delarege said:
I've just read something very convincing that a first-timer should do his own leg work and forget about agents. The consensus being that a the agent you want isn't going to look twice if you don't have credentials...

That's not entirely true. Short story publications are nice, but they're not a requirement for getting an agent. Besides, agents have connections to all the good publishers that are closed to unagented submissions. They also know how to negotiate the best deal possible for you and your book. So I wouldn't discount the possibility of trying to get an agent, even if you don't have any credentials. They won't turn down a good book just because you've never sold anything before.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
IMO the biggest reason it's hard to find agents for horror, is because horror doesn't sell. The reason horror doesn't sell is either (1) because it's cr@p, or (2) because potential readers have come to define horror as the stuff they see in the movies--i.e. Freddie, Jason, and Michael Meyers, with all the attendant blood and guts and special effects and bad acting.

Real horror should mess with your mind, not your eyes. It should get inside your gut, crawl around, and make you scared as hell to look over your shoulder. I'm sure some of that is being written, but the genre is not respected right now. What else can we do but keep trying to write it?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
emeraldcite said:
I agree, but it's still tough to weed out the agents who say they represent horror and dark/urban fantasy and those who actually do rep it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the midlist horror writers (i'm even signed up for the Leisure Horror Book Club :) )

but, it would be nice to see some really horror on the Times. Pubs tend to buy buy buy when it's hot.

So, Liam, when are you going to get your book up there on the list?

Hell, its been on the shelf for three weeks, now. You mean it's not on the list, yet?! Who's running the NYT, anyway? Its a Travis-Tea of justice! A Travis-Tea, I say!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis just hit on an excellent point, as did Spooky Writer in a previous post. I had this same conversation with my agent, whom I signed with despite a lack of short stories, long stories, or any stories. (And that bit about "the kind of agent you can get, you won't want" is about 50% truth, 50% crap. I've been very happy with mine, especially when the checks come in the mail.)

Back to Haggis. My agent told me that too many publishers tend to think of "slasher splatter" when they see a query for a "horror novel," today. My editor backed this up. (I've no idea if they're right, but I'm reasonably sure they're better informed than I am.)

So, when pitching a book to a publisher, many agents classify a book as one of several categories of the thriller.

Years ago, Carrie was plain, old-fashioned horror. Today it would be marketed as a pyschological thriller, suspense thriller, paranormal thriller, supernatural epic, or some other color of the same horse.

If you want a good idea of how agents and pubs are interchanging the genres, check out Amazon.com. Go to books, then select "thriller." Then look at the number of subgenres. Then check the top ten books in each sub-genre and note the number of cross-overs. When you're finished in the thriller section, go to "genre fiction." Sure enough, you find horror. But notice that horror is broken down by category, too.

"Narrow by Category"Anthologies (1052)Authors, A-Z (8890)Books on CD (125)Books on Cassette (357)British (513)Dark Fantasy (924)Erotic (316)General (9667)Ghosts (894)Graphic Novels (809)Occult (955)Reference (168)United States (2012)Vampires (1531)
When you check these categories, you'll find *SURPRISE* most of the same titles listed in various thriller sections.

Use the same search model on Borders.com and note the similarities.

So, if an agent states, "no horror" don't stop reading. You may see in the very next sentence that he accepts scary thrillers. ;)

Last edited:

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
Liam Jackson said:
Haggis just hit on an excellent point, as did Spooky Writer in a previous post. I had this same conversation with my agent, whom I signed with despite a lack of short stories, long stories, or any stories. (And that bit about "the kind of agent you can get, you won't want" is about 50% truth, 50% crap. I've been very happy with mine, especially when the checks come in the mail.)

Back to Haggis. My agent told me that too many publishers tend to think of "slasher splatter" when they see a query for a "horror novel," today. My editor backed this up. (I've no idea if they're right, but I'm reasonably sure they're better informed than I am.)

So, when pitching a book to a publisher, many agents classify a book as one of several categories of the thriller.

Years ago, Carrie was plain, old-fashioned horror. Today it would be marketed as a pyschological thriller, suspense thriller, paranormal thriller, supernatural epic, or some other color of the same horse.

If you want a good idea of how agents and pubs are interchanging the genres, check out Amazon.com. Go to books, then select "thriller." Then look at the number of subgenres. Then check the top ten books in each sub-genre and note the number of cross-overs. When you're finished in the thriller section, go to "genre fiction." Sure enough, you find horror. But notice that horror is broken down by category, too.

"Narrow by Category"Anthologies (1052)Authors, A-Z (8890)Books on CD (125)Books on Cassette (357)British (513)Dark Fantasy (924)Erotic (316)General (9667)Ghosts (894)Graphic Novels (809)Occult (955)Reference (168)United States (2012)Vampires (1531)
When you check these categories, you'll find *SURPRISE* most of the same titles listed in various thriller sections.

So, if an agent states, "no horror" don't stop reading. You may see in the very next sentence that he accepts scary thrillers. ;)
I have a female character that gets in the MC's pants... can I say it's a paranormal romance? Will all the dead bodies get in the way of that? :roll:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Andre_Laurent said:
I have a female character that gets in the MC's pants... can I say it's a paranormal romance? Will all the dead bodies get in the way of that? :roll:

Sounds like a new genre to me: Ick Lit.:D

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Dear Agent:

I am submitting my dark romantic fantasy with horrific scenes entitled "Bodice-Ripping Elves on Elm Street" for your perusal.

Thank you for your time.

Cordially, with blood,

Writer

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
I love how I read this after I realize that I really and truly do want to spend the rest of my life writing horror novels. I mean, I went through a five year period covinced it wasn't my thing, and then the zombies found me, and- damn.

Well, fingers crossed, anyway. I suppose if my initial attempts to sell <i>Zombieland</i> fail, I can retitle it, <i>Life for the Living</i> and market it as a self-help book...

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Liam,
Are you going to quit your day job or will you keep it and write? Does it interfere? I'm just curious. Some folks say quit, others say don't. I hate ordering stuff online. I'm going to hit the bookstore and get your book this weekend...;)

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HW, I'm still working the day job, but over the last year I've moved more into a consultant role, and away from the day-to-day operational role.

Yeah, the day job does get in the way sometimes. It's a pain trying to capture a scene on a micro-cassette recorder while standing in the rest room of an airborne 757. You really get some odd looks from flight attendants when you come out of there.

I don't see any major changes in the near future.

And thank you. I hope you enjoy the story.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Liam, I know what you mean. Well, except for the really giant plane part! I am in the Human Services field and it kicked my butt to write my novel, polish it, send it out to my beta readers, and now query, while trying to work. Plus I'm considering grad school in order to obtain a Master's in Clinical Psychology. Yikes! When I start that I will definitely not be able to write or work! We'll see. I just got a bite from an agent requesting a partial. Hopefully I'll have an agent by Christmas. I can't wait to read your book. I already read the premise. Cool!

Last edited:

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
Liam, I know what you mean. Well, except for the really giant plane part! I am in the Human Services field and it kicked my butt to write my novel, polish it, send it out to my beta readers, and now query, while trying to work. Plus I'm considering grad school in order to obtain a Master's in Clinical Psychology. Yikes! When I start that I will definitely not be able to write or work! We'll see. I just got a bite from an agent requesting a partial. Hopefully I'll have an agent by Christmas. I can't wait to read your book. I already read the premise. Cool!
I worked for Human Services for a long time... you have my sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.