Not open for further replies.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
Email addresses are posted at end of reviews and anyone can find a phone number. Have you heard about something called google? I didn't see a request to harass, just asked to let reviewer know how you feel about review.

Right. So if a reader disagreed with the review, they could choose to write the reviewer an email voicing they're opinion.

The reviewer does NOT post his personal telephone number because that is a part of his private life, NOT a part of his job.

When the author decided to tweet the reviewer's personal info, that became a personal attack instead of a difference of opinion.

A review is ONE person's opinion. A person doesn't have to listen to it, and they don't have to respond to it, either.

The whole situation is very high school, imho.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Email addresses are posted at end of reviews and anyone can find a phone number. Have you heard about something called google? I didn't see a request to harass, just asked to let reviewer know how you feel about review.

Just because it can be done, does not mean it should. And why should an author feel the need to rally the troops to tell one measly reviewer who has the absolute right to say "I didn't like this book and here's why" what they thought about it? It's stupid and a waste of time. And can only end in negativity and harassment.

The reviewer didn't like the book. Hoffman couldn't deal with it. There was no reason for Hoffman to take her inability to cope with a bad review out on the reviewer. I don't care what her excuse was or what kind of a day she was having.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I didn't see a request to harass, just asked to let reviewer know how you feel about review.

Which is still unprofessional of her.

How people feel about a review doesn't matter.

How they feel about the book itself DOES.

They can disagree with the review by buying the book and recommending it to friends.

The fact is, Hoffman was in the wrong. Maybe she doesn't want to admit it, but she is. In time, maybe people will forget about this kerfuffle, but for now, she is a cautionary tale of unprofessional behavior.

I bet only a few thousand at most even bothered to read the review when it came out. Now, thanks to Hoffman's behavior a few hundred thousand have read it, read Hoffman's reaction, and they're all siding with the reviewer!

Hoffman will still have loyal fans, but others who might have liked her books won't bother, now.

Next time, her best course is to ignore the reviews--ALL of them.

The bad ones are just annoying, and the good ones can puff a writer up too much.

I've got two books coming out in the next 4 months, and I promise you the last thing I'm going to read are the reviews!

Instead, I'm going to be writing.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's disappointing! She was on my reading list, actually.

I'm glad to see others who hate If Apologies, too. My Ex would always say "I'm sorry that you got angry." WTF?

Funny how words matter. Wait; she's a writer - kind of expected then, eh?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
And if you don't like the review, move on and ignore it.

Or send a letter to the editor of the newspaper or magazine where you read the review expressing your disagreement.

That's what grownups do. They don't call 75-year-old ladies at home to complain.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Eh. The writer isn't the book, backslashbaby. I've read Turtle Moon and a couple of her other books - they're still books worth reading.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
People do make mistakes .... even large ones. I won't hold this against her.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
True, people do make mistakes. But for myself, it's hard to justify supporting someone when they act like a child. I could have given her the benefit of the doubt, someone who just made a big mistake if she had come back and apologized properly. Then at least she recognizes her mistake and owns it. But when the person does something so stupid and thoughtless as that, and then says 'sorry someone was offended' that's someone who doesn't deserve my business. Others may feel differently. It's the same reason I won't buy another Anne Rice book - hard to enjoy a writer who berates her readers because they didn't like her last book. Heaven forbid we don't love everything.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
True, people do make mistakes. But for myself, it's hard to justify supporting someone when they act like a child. I could have given her the benefit of the doubt, someone who just made a big mistake if she had come back and apologized properly. Then at least she recognizes her mistake and owns it. But when the person does something so stupid and thoughtless as that, and then says 'sorry someone was offended' that's someone who doesn't deserve my business. Others may feel differently. It's the same reason I won't buy another Anne Rice book - hard to enjoy a writer who berates her readers because they didn't like her last book. Heaven forbid we don't love everything.

While I could not bring myself to hate a book based on an author's public or private lives, nor a director his or hers, I support a person's right to do so. Isn't this effectively what they call a boycott? People may boycott a product because the product stinks or is dangerous, because the people who made it are awful people, or any other reason in between.

If the author's personality is so toxic as to forever ruin your enjoyment of her books, then who is anyone to tell you what you aught to buy instead?

Sorry, it's 4th of July here in the states so I'm feeling all...constitutional. Er. Something.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
While I could not bring myself to hate a book based on an author's public or private lives, nor a director his or hers, I support a person's right to do so. Isn't this effectively what they call a boycott? People may boycott a product because the product stinks or is dangerous, because the people who made it are awful people, or any other reason in between.

If the author's personality is so toxic as to forever ruin your enjoyment of her books, then who is anyone to tell you what you aught to buy instead?

Sorry, it's 4th of July here in the states so I'm feeling all...constitutional. Er. Something.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't hate the author's books, I've never read them so that wouldn't really be fair to say. But this is the first time I've ever heard of Alice Hoffman and I can't say it encourages me to go out and pick up her books after this tirade. If someone still wishes to purchase her books, it's fully their right to do so and I don't think ill of them for choosing to do so. It's just that obviously my money would go to her should I purchase her books, and I can't bring myself to do that. It's just a big personal turn-off for me is all.

I'm not American, but since you brought it up allow me to wish you Happy 4th of July :partyguy: We just celebrated Canada Day up here but people are still partying :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I guess with all that's going on in this crazy world I don't feel that outraged towards her. I know it wasn't the right thing to do and something I would never do as a writer. Yet I can't help but wonder why she did go off like that. I don't follow her. Does she have a history going off on bad reviews?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, anyone can have a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. If it's a pattern of behavior, though....

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
That's a perfect of example of when even the 'I did something stupid and I'm sorry' apology is no longer acceptable. Not when you're going off the handle more than once.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a writer having a temper tantrum.

It made me think of actors/actresses in plays. Their play gets reviewed and perhaps they get a bad review. It happens. Another reviewer maybe gives them a good review. Doesn't mean you have to strike back at the reviewer who gave you a bad one.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
They lose that thick skin. Not everyone's going to like something, that's just reality and if some authors can't deal with that it's no one else's problem but their own and the people who indulge them (like SMeyer's brother, for example). You're well within your rights to say you don't like something.

Whats the story about SM's brother? i missed that?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Whats the story about SM's brother? i missed that?

Totally off-topic, but kudos on the Assassin My Little Pony avatar. Love it!

And yeah, what's old SM's bro up to? I have this vague impression he serves as her Internet bodyguard or something.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
He's her gatekeeper, basically protects her from negative anything. So negative reviews, negative comments, he doesn't let her see any of it. Apparently because she can't handle the fact that some people just don't like her books and her precious Edward. I say grow up SM.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Totally off-topic, but kudos on the Assassin My Little Pony avatar. Love it!

And yeah, what's old SM's bro up to? I have this vague impression he serves as her Internet bodyguard or something.

Offtopic: Oh you mean my little eddie (scissorhands?) pony?? :)

A beautiful combo of johnny and pony.

Ontopic: oh i knew he runs her websites and all that, but didn't hear anything of buffering?

Edit: Oh just saw your post M.R.J. - now i understand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.