The sound of silence

heretic_scribe

CIA Roadsign Assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shannonthomas.org
I've always wanted to write song lyrics, and I can write the words all day long when I'm in the right groove. The problem is that I can't hear any music in my head. It just isn't in me. Sometimes I think I can hear it... it's similar to the feeling I get when I'm trying to remember the sound of a song I already know... If I could just hear the first three notes, I could recall the entire song, but the memory eludes me. It's just an echo in my head. Sometimes I hear new music like that. I think I could break it out if I could just hear one note clearly. But that never happens. So I write the words, and the say what I want to say, but I don't have any idea if a person can actually sing them or not.

Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions on what to do about it?

David16k

Registered
Reaction score
One thing you could do is play a song in the background that suits the mood of the lyrics you're about to write. Then, while listening to that song, imagine the voice saying the words you're writing down.

The human brain simply can't recreate sound. Use your CD-player and your imagination.

You could also try listening to instrumental songs. There's no right or conventional way of doing these things. Find out what works for you.

heretic_scribe

CIA Roadsign Assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shannonthomas.org
David16K, I've tried that, among other things. I'm not a quitter, but I begin to wonder if it's like a blind man trying to see colors. Maybe I'm just not able to do it. I thought about taking piano lessons. The idea is to get used to using my brain and hands to make sounds, even if they're someone else's. Maybe that would click something in place in my head and allow me to make my own sounds.