Crucifixion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I think most writers want to avoid crucifixion if only to avoid the religious implications of it. And of course, a crucifixion is incredibly brutal - I can't imagine too many stories where a fully depicted crucifixion would 'fit in' with the mood/descriptors. The only time I can remember seeing someone crucified was in non-book media, i.e. a manga and a comic.

In Fullmetal Alchemist someone is crucified with swords to a cross-shaped stone and then lowered into acid. This is only in the Japanese version, though, as in America they changed it to a simple block of stone. The comic book is X-Men under the authorship of Chuck Austen. It featured an issue that had several young mutant children crucifixed on the front lawn of the mansion. That was one of the lesser egregious things in that arc.

Agreed, besides, I think of crucifixion as a Roman practice, so what would a fantasy-based culture that developed entirely separate from our world use this as punishment? TBH it does just conjure up the religion aspect.

Just my $.02

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, besides, I think of crucifixion as a Roman practice, so what would a fantasy-based culture that developed entirely separate from our world use this as punishment? TBH it does just conjure up the religion aspect.

Just my $.02

Well, Fantasy cultures seem to use an awful lot of features of our world quite often. They even seem to have the same animals most of the time, including humans. Why would crucifixion be any different?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Well, Fantasy cultures seem to use an awful lot of features of our world quite often. They even seem to have the same animals most of the time, including humans. Why would crucifixion be any different?

"We must nail the smeerp to the two piece scaffolding where one piece is secured to the other in the center, but slightly raised up so the shadow falls more dramatically."

"Couldn't we just stew it?"

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score

Ah, a snide remark. Well, crucifixion is, as has been said, so religiously relevant that is bound to be seen as such in a story.

i.e. There is a saint in one of my fantasies and almost every beta has said, "why is there a christian saint in a fantasy world?" Though saints may not be inherently christian, they are viewed that way.

Like I said, that is my $.02.

Feel free to crucify your characters. :)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Ah, a snide remark. Well, crucifixion is, as has been said, so religiously relevant that is bound to be seen as such in a story.

i.e. There is a saint in one of my fantasies and almost every beta has said, "why is there a christian saint in a fantasy world?" Though saints may not be inherently christian, they are viewed that way.

Like I said, that is my $.02.

Feel free to crucify your characters. :)

It's probably the word 'saint' that is too associated with Christianity. There are high quality holy people in every religion and some of them have enough of a supernatural kick (in the stories about them) to correspond to what the word saint usually means.

I've seen some books where the Buddhist term Bodhisattva is translated as saint.

There's a Chinese word that is translated as Sage which strikes me as innocuous for the amount of punch they often pack in stories.

Ironically, the word saint has different meanings for different Christian sects. For some it means high power holy people (often dead ones). For others it can mean the people of the community of the church.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
If people want to insist on bringing Christian connotations to a punishment that was around long before Christians, that's their lookout. When I think of Christians being executed I usually think of Nero and his human torches, but I could probably put that in a book without anyone saying, 'Won't you think of the Christians?'.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
If people want to insist on bringing Christian connotations to a punishment that was around long before Christians, that's their lookout. When I think of Christians being executed I usually think of Nero and his human torches, but I could probably put that in a book without anyone saying, 'Won't you think of the Christians?'.

Symbols can become attached to particular groups in a manner that overlays their previous history. The best non-Christian example I know of would, however, Godwin the thread.

In any case, I don't think it's reasonable to expect ones audience to not see the meanings in things that their culture gives them. We have to write in relation to how our audiences think, rather than insisting that they already understand and see things as we would like them to.

Changing people's minds about things is part of what art does. if one wants to crucify someone in a story without any Christian connotations, one should probably do the work to write it away from those associations. Make it a common form of execution or make the person executed a plain criminal or something other than a would-be martyr or anything else that moves away from the undesired perspective.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd sure like to crucify a character, but I might just settle for impalement.

Now, i'm going to have to impale a character. I won't be able to get it out of my head until i do. ;)

cat

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait! I just remembered, The Man Who Would be King! Kipling knew how to do a good crucifixion scene.

And played to perfection by Peter O'Toole! ::swoons:: (Yes, i *am* that old.)

EDIT: Oh, oh. Apparently I'm *too* old, since that particular one was
Sean Connery. I was thinking of...darnit! I can't find the one i was thinking of. I saw it 3x, too! ::grumbles:: EDIT part dos: Lord Jim! I knew it was there somewhere [/derail]

cat

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
In any case, I don't think it's reasonable to expect ones audience to not see the meanings in things that their culture gives them. We have to write in relation to how our audiences think, rather than insisting that they already understand and see things as we would like them to.

You're right, of course. I expressed myself badly. What I wanted to say was that if people want to insist on Christian meanings to the exclusion of all others, that's not a reason for us to accept that limitation ourselves.

I think that's what I wanted to say, anyway!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
And played to perfection by Peter O'Toole! ::swoons:: (Yes, i *am* that old.)

EDIT: Oh, oh. Apparently I'm *too* old, since that particular one was
Sean Connery. I was thinking of...darnit! I can't find the one i was thinking of. I saw it 3x, too! ::grumbles:: EDIT part dos: Lord Jim! I knew it was there somewhere [/derail]

cat

Connery and Micheal Caine were in A Man Who Would be King.

You might be thinking of Lord Jim, with Peter O'Toole. An excellent movie...

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I'd go for a good old hanging and drawing, myself. Every bit as nasty and without any of those unfortunate implications.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score

Just my $.02

I think the religious aspect is what makes it useful. It's part of the common "language" of symbolism. So you can crucify someone and evoke Christ, the one who dies for others. Or you can crucify them and invoke the cruelty that is at the heart of crucifixion. Or maybe the contradiction between the sacrificial savior and the vicious end of filthy felons. Or you can crucify them and invoke the wizard-god who dies for spiritual power, like Odin (Christ too!). Or something else, there's lots of possibilities.

An act with powerful symbolic connections ramps up the layers of meaning. This is catnip to lit-crit types, they can take the ball and run with it, coming up with all kinds of deep meanings whether the author meant them or not. And it gives the reader who's aware of symbolism something to chew on as it were. Little cookies or easter eggs or whatever you call 'em are appealing, I think they help draw readers back, so they can re-read your work and get something new each time.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score

I think of Christians being forced to fight lions in the Colosseum...or being torn apart by lions, really. :evil

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
An act with powerful symbolic connections ramps up the layers of meaning. This is catnip to lit-crit types, they can take the ball and run with it, coming up with all kinds of deep meanings whether the author meant them or not.

Good and accurate point. I'm in a workshop class right now and it's interesting to see the things people pull out of "random" events. 90% of the time what people think IS going on or the meaning behind an event is not the author's intention. Just interesting.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Ape shall not kill ape!

Oooh! I just remembered another, though it's cinematic. In Beneath the Planet of the Apes, when General Ursus and the Ape army invade the Forbidden Zone, the Mutants project terrifying images of flames and crucified apes to frighten them off. Trippy '70s sci-fi with a real eyeball kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.