Hello From The UK

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
... And on the complete opposite end, I'm from Somerset! Hi everyone!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Suffolk girl here :) transplanted to Essex, planning on uprooting to Nottingham (maybe, if it all works out, you know how it is) in the future.

FoxyLoxy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, checking in from sunny Hull, formerly of Leeds/Bradford, wessie at heart X

JWRainsford

J.W Rainsford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi all, I am from leafy Hertfordshire, which is the forgotten county just above London and between Essex, Cambridge, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. It is nice here, we get mild summers and winters and we have large areas of countryside and big woods. The perfect place for a young budding Fantasy Author to group up, if you are good at entertaining yourself.

Defos

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a mongrel being half Scottish, part Irish and English or a half blood as some recent stories would have it. I live in the north of England now near Manchester where people claim to be tough about the weather ..... Until it snows :D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I am from leafy Hertfordshire, which is the forgotten county just above London and between Essex, Cambridge, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire.

Beautiful area. You can tell I'm jealous... :D

Hey guys, I'm a mongrel being half Scottish, part Irish and English or a half blood as some recent stories would have it.

Plenty of us proud mongrels running around. If I ever have to untangle my lineage, it would take some doing...

I live in the north of England now near Manchester where people claim to be tough about the weather ..... Until it snows :D

:roll:

Hopefully there isn't too much snow there. :)

CeeJam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I'm a newbie from Devon, but was born in Shrophire, grew up in Germany, schooled in Kent, Universitied (OOoh look, I made a word) in Sussex, lived in Hertfordshire and Yorkshire, and work in Cornwall. Not well travelled, just tired.

Hello everyone!

CeeJam

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I'm a newbie from Devon, but was born in Shrophire, grew up in Germany, schooled in Kent, Universitied (OOoh look, I made a word) in Sussex, lived in Hertfordshire and Yorkshire, and work in Cornwall. Not well travelled, just tired.

Hello everyone!

CeeJam

Somerset here - hi!

HumSci

Registered
Reaction score
Hello y'all. I'm a newbie down in Devon too, as it happens. Originally from Cardiff but took a short detour through Oxford.
Glad to meet the thread.

HumSci

MM Kirk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Inverness

Hi

Introduced myself already in the Newbie forum, but didn't realise there was a little UK sub-group lurking on here :)

I've lived all round the UK, from the Lake District to the south coast, but I'm now back in Inverness, where I went to school.

Writing-wise, I've just finished my first novel, a psychological thriller aimed at the quality women's fiction market - not so much an Aga saga, more a rusty Rayburn with something nasty luring in the grate :)

I've sent my first full manuscript out, so am confidently expecting it to coming winging its way back very shortly...

Looking forward to getting to know folks here and swapping writing sagas.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm in Yorkshire, Essex originally.
I'm writing a YA historical - just finished 2nd draft.

Good luck with your submission, MM Kirk!

MM Kirk

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Spinningwheel! I went to the Festival of Writing in York last September - it was run by the Writers' Workshop and included in the price were two x ten minute sessions with agents (had to submit a synopsis and first chapter beforehand).

To my amazement, both agents I saw said they wanted to see more, so I've sent off the first of these this week. Not convinced anything will come of it, but you never know :)

YA historical sounds really interesting - which period?

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Festival of Writing in York last September - it was run by the Writers' Workshop

Congrats on the agent interest!!

What's the deal with the Writers' Workshop? Do people often use them for editing etc? Is it a good idea?

Also - the Festival of Writing - worth going to, d'you think? I'm not sure I'd know what to do there!

Heh, sorry, questions :rolleyes:

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant MM Kirk!

I'm doing Tudor - 1537.
My characters are northern Catholics rather than these rational southern Reformist types who feature so heavily in various successful books about the period. They believe in relics.

MM Kirk

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, the Percys? Great period. It's one of those 'what if' periods, isn't it? What if Anne Boleyn had been allowed to marry young Percy a few years earlier, etc., etc?

Sounds fascinating - best of luck with it!

MM Kirk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I would very much recommend both the Writers' Workshop critiques and the events they run.

The critiques are...not cheap, but they compare favourably with most other agencies, and they have a good range of people working for them, with a fair sprinkling of published authors.

The events - again, they're not cheap, but the workshops and agent panels are interesting, and once you feel you're ready to submit, I think a couple of one-to-ones with a real, live agent have got to be worth investing in.

I would say, wait until you think you've taken your work as far as you can yourself, maybe get a beta-reader or two if possible, and then see what you think about attending an event.

All I have to go on is my own experience, but so far my dealings with them have been very positive.