How Many Novels Did You Write Before You Got Published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished numero uno, but had written a few screenplays/short stories also. Always hear about how people write 4-5+ before they actually break through.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

That was with a small press. Wrote 3 for them followed my editor to a bgger press. (Tried querying in the meantime, no go)

In the end it was the third novel I started, and the seventh I finished that got me a deal

It is NOT how many. It is...how good are they? Are they what the market wants? I know several Big Names who got a deal on their first ever book. I know many others who waited six or more

Write a good book that the market wants...you've got a great chance

Take out a variable,...and you may not

Last edited:

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for that.

Have you ever gone back to those other ones and tried to re-work? Or do you just move on?

I feel like there is a lot that I love about the one I've been working on, and it would be really hard to just move on without getting to share it.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was published, but it took more than two decades and a bunch of rewrites while I was doing other stuff.

I never doubted it would be published, but I didn't expect it to take so long! I'm hoping for a much faster turnaround with my WIP.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Two-ish? I wrote novel 2 and novel 3 almost in tandem. Sold 3, two got me an agent who sold 4 (and 5, but that was unwritten at the time). I'm back to revising 2.

1 is waiting in the wings. It has issues, but I know how to fix them, but since it happens after 2 and there's probably another novel in the time between 2 and 1...1 can wait a while.

That's kind of confusing...

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Two-ish? I wrote novel 2 and novel 3 almost in tandem. Sold 3, two got me an agent who sold 4 (and 5, but that was unwritten at the time). I'm back to revising 2.

1 is waiting in the wings. It has issues, but I know how to fix them, but since it happens after 2 and there's probably another novel in the time between 2 and 1...1 can wait a while.

Haha, a little, but I'm heartened by the fact that at least a few people feel like they can publish their first. I was sort of under the impression that everyone needed to write 5 novels and hide them in a drawer forever before finally taking that 6th one out.

Sounds like the answer to most things - it depends.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first one was published, although I don't count it because it was with a notorious POD publisher who published anything, then made its profits by selling the authors their own books at outrageous(ly high) prices and through special promotion offers.

My third book was picked up by a small press that has since gone under, with very few sales of my or anyone else's book.

I'm working on my sixth or seventh book right now, depending on how you slice them. (Book #2 was completed, but has since been split into two separate books with substantial new material written for both, so six if you don't count #2, since it no longer has its own identity.)

I'm still waiting for my "big hit."

Last edited:

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score

Cool! So you wrote a novel, then you wrote the prequel?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Cool! So you wrote a novel, then you wrote the prequel?

Yup, pretty much. A supporting character did some really interesting stuff, and I wanted to figure out some of his background. Figured a 30 page short story would do it.

88K later...

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much. A supporting character did some really interesting stuff, and I wanted to figure out some of his background. Figured a 30 page short story would do it.

88K later...

Haha, nice. I guess that might be better than hoping for a novel and sputtering out at 30 pages. Although I've heard everything has its length.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score
I sold my first book to a big five publisher.

Publishing is made up of every kind of experience you can imagine :)

Wow that's awesome! Cool to know that can happen. This is why I'm asking! I'm loving finding out that most of my assumptions about publishing, agents, and conferences were definitely skewed.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I published the first one I wrote. It was a POD, but I count it. I didn't have to pay them anything and I didn't have to buy any of the books myself. In fact, I was able to talk them into giving me about 20 free ones for promotional purposes. However, like many POD's, my book was overpriced which of course hurt sales. But I have written three more since that I have not sold. I'm currently reworking my second one (thanks to a publisher's great advice and AW) and will keep working on it until it is published.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Not counting novel length fanfics, I did three before I started submitting. The first two I wasn't even thinking about submitting yet. The third was a "maybe I'll submit it...maybe...nah..." It was okay, but not quite there yet, so I didn't sub that. All three were edited and put on my old website and two I eventually dabbled with self-publishing and put them up as free ebooks.

Once I started submitting I sold that first one to a small press and have sold everything I've submitted since (there have been rejections, don't get me wrong. But all sold in the end.)

So you could say I did three practice ones before giving submitting a go. Maybe they would have sold if I had subbed them, maybe not. But I'm generally happy with how things have gone. :D

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first 'novel' when I was 10. Then another when I was 15 and another at 17. I never tried to get any of my teenage works published.

If we don't count those, I wrote one MG manuscript that I trunked before writing Unicorn Tracks, which was accepted by a publisher.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone in this thread must be far more talented than I am. I'm finishing up my tenth novel with zero interest from anybody.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
I'm another that sold quickly. I have one completed full I never subbed or queried, a short story I submitted, then withdrew from a small press when I got a better look at the company's track history. Next was a novella which sold to small press.

I'll add that I've had a few stories that went nowhere after that sale. Rejections still happen.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone in this thread must be far more talented than I am. I'm finishing up my tenth novel with zero interest from anybody.

I'm sure not more talented. Truth is, my first novel wasn't ready to be published. The first printing had 200 (at least that's where I stopped counting) errors. I have fixed them since, but you can imagine how I felt. That must be a world record or something. Actually, they released the first draft that I sent them by accident, but that is a problem I'll save for another post. Like I said earlier, I haven't had much luck with my other three novels. Just keep at it. You will find someone to accept yours.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Brandon Sanderson had written and submitted twelve novels before he got his first acceptance. (Some of those first twelve were also eventually contracted and published.)

It's not always a question of talent, but also timing - which we have very little control over. The only thing we can do is keep writing and submitting 'til we're successful.

pedroj012

Registered
Reaction score

Keep at it! Have you self-published at all? I'm definitely going to make mine available to people if it doesn't get anywhere with traditional publishers. In the end for me, it's really not about making money or making a name - I just want people to enjoy the characters and story I've created. Even if it's just a handful of friends/family.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
The first flash fiction, short story, novelette, novella, and novel I wrote were all published under two separate pen-names. I then introduced a third pen-name, and then realized I was on the verge of settling into the role of a prolific third-rate mini-star, and decided to take a step back, wind down the pen-name identities, and concentrate on reaching world-class level as a writer.
Almost there :e2writer:

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I got zero interest from agents for the first three novels I wrote. Hundreds of rejections. However, the fourth got pretty immediate interest and was published, actually getting me a three-book deal.

I am currently going back to the first one, reworking it at the suggestion of my agent. Going through the book, I can see why it didn't get any traction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.