The Duotrope Thread

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I'm one of those who has a lot of subs listed and it feels like they are holding the stats hostage. I never got a newsletter with a heads up. I liked their services to donate to them and, well the truth is DT is something you need for more than a few months in order to keep submission momentum. Now they are higher than Writer's Market which was poorly run. Still deciding....

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
It seems the reported times on Duotrope are already getting pretty wonky. I suppose it's inevitable - people reported submissions and then abandoned Duotrope when they heard about the fee, or now are shut out and can't update.

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought about deleting the open-ended subs, even sort of intended to, but I never got around to it. At first I was hoping I could close some more, then it fell off my radar. Maybe duotrope would be well served to send out some kind of "Click here if you're never coming back and want us to delete your stats" e-mail to non-subscribers. I don't know if that would make the stats better or worse overall.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I too am one of those with open-ended subs which shall remain open/orphaned.
I faithfully reported (and donated) to DT but I'm not subscribing so I won't be able to close those subs whenever the replies come in. :(
Oh how I wish they'd gone with $20/yr or $2/month...

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I too am one of those with open-ended subs which shall remain open/orphaned.
I faithfully reported (and donated) to DT but I'm not subscribing so I won't be able to close those subs whenever the replies come in. :(
Oh how I wish they'd gone with $20/yr or $2/month...

This! I lost interest in reporting my submissions when they announced they were going to a fee-based subscription. I've always kept an Excel spreadsheet and only reported my submissions to assist with their stats.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if maybe I missed it somewhere along the lines or around the other threads but is there any other "Theme Calendars" out there like the one duotrope had?

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
What does the first line of the duotrope submission export file say? I didn't keep my original copy, and I chopped all the data up into separate documents. I'd like to try and put it back together to see if I can import it to the submission grinder.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Great! I'll check out The Submissions Grinder, thanks!

PS- If anyone needs a list of markets to work off of or just to have for their own spreadsheet, I can send a copy of my excel list with over 200 markets listed (both genre and lit/mainstream markets with word count and pay data etc. included).
I'm finishing up my updates on it, and it has its limitations of course (mostly just U.S., paying markets for example) but for anyone who needs a base, you're welcome to it! PM. :)

Last edited:

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
How curious. I just clicked on the link to The Submission Grinder and got this:

"HTTP Error 403.18 - Forbidden

The specified request cannot be processed in the application pool that is configured for this resource on the Web server."

I have no idea what that means...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're still in the beta stages of the site, so bugs are aplenty... but it's free. :)

Just logged on to it to report by rejection from today.. Worked fine.

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
They're still in the beta stages of the site, so bugs are aplenty... but it's free. :)

Just logged on to it to report by rejection from today.. Worked fine.

Just logged on to it again and it's now working. Thank goodness for that. It's good to see an alternative site to Duotrope. :)

AWSullivan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthonysullivan.net
Hey all,

I'm Anthony Sullivan, the developer of Diabolical Plots new submission tracker, The Grinder.

As you can probably tell if you've been watching the site since it's launch on Monday, we are working very hard to increase stability and functionality. If you have questions, concerns or suggestions, please let me know. You can email me at (anthony at diabolicalplots dot com).

Thank you for helping us get the ball rolling. We appreciate your support.

Yours,

Anthony

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
Just registered for the grinder. I dig it. It's not as comprehensive as D (yet), but the price is right and it has potential.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you (like me) still clinging to Duotrope, was anybody using the RSS drop down thing on your bookmarks toolbar? Because mine stopped working when Duotrope went paid, even though I subscribed, and I'm not sure if it's Duotrope or Firefox or my computer or what. Specific question, I know :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the monthly thing at Duo but never used the RSS feature. Sorry.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
For those of you (like me) still clinging to Duotrope, was anybody using the RSS drop down thing on your bookmarks toolbar? Because mine stopped working when Duotrope went paid, even though I subscribed, and I'm not sure if it's Duotrope or Firefox or my computer or what. Specific question, I know :)
I was using that in Google Reader, but the last update I have was from November.

The Upcoming Fiction Deadlines and Updates & Additions RSS feeds have updates from Jan 1.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but if I missed it, my apologies. The website Dark Markets has a pretty good list of markets, separated into Anthologies, Book Publishers (both print and ebook), Magazines and eZines, and contests. They only list horror/dark fantasy markets, but it's a nice little resource.

Also the Submission Grinder is my new favorite :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Got the first monthly non-subscriber "summary" newsletter today. Like pretty much everything else on Duotrope now it's mostly "If you subscribe you can see all the updates on reopened markets and new listings!"

They did include three market listings for the top fiction, non-fiction and poetry markets (per most submissions reported). The fiction markets were all non-paying and one actually required a purchase of the publication in order to submit. o_O

Aggy, all *boo* and *hiss*

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the first monthly non-subscriber "summary" newsletter today. Like pretty much everything else on Duotrope now it's mostly "If you subscribe you can see all the updates on reopened markets and new listings!"

They did include three market listings for the top fiction, non-fiction and poetry markets (per most submissions reported). The fiction markets were all non-paying and one actually required a purchase of the publication in order to submit. o_O

Aggy, all *boo* and *hiss*

Interesting. I didn't even get the newsletter. Ah well. Long live The Submission Grinder and Submitomancy :)