It's a King! Um, eventually.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I find this whole circus both fascinating and bizarre. My favorite title in the article is 'the Queen's gynecologist.' Must be very honored to tend to The Royal Vagina.

Anyhow, hope the baby makes it out without incident. Dutchess, Duke or Dairy Queen waitress, the birth of a couple's first child is always exciting.

ellio

a hardback life on an ebook budget
Registered
Reaction score
I really like being an Englishman. I really like yorkshire puddings and scones. I support England in worldwide sporting events. I wouldn't want to permanently live in any other country.

But I can't find it in me to care one iota about this woman's child. I don't care about the gender/weight/name/date of birth/potential title in the future. I care about none of it.

:Shrug:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I really like being an Englishman. I really like yorkshire puddings and scones. I support England in worldwide sporting events. I wouldn't want to permanently live in any other country.

But I can't find it in me to care one iota about this woman's child. I don't care about the gender/weight/name/date of birth/potential title in the future. I care about none of it.

:Shrug:

Did you watch the wedding? I had an Australian friend who stayed home all freaking day to watch that thing, like it was the World Cup.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel sorry for people with "publicly expected" children-to-be. Pregnancy is one time when stress is bad for all involved, and media obsession on a global scale is nothing but stress. Hopefully she'll have an easy delivery for both her sake and the kidlet's, but I still wish there was a way she could have snuck off, had her baby and then let everyone know the little guy or girl exists.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Ofcourse a royal toddler is important. Having a king, or a queen, is important to a lot of people, including me, so the next scion matters.

I wish the parents to be all the luck in the world.

They're gonna need it.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Ofcourse a royal toddler is important. Having a king, or a queen, is important to a lot of people, including me, so the next scion matters.

I wish the parents to be all the luck in the world

They're gonna need it.

If you don't mind sharing, (I'm bored at work) what about having a King or Queen is important to you? I think Netherlands and the UK have two different types of monarchies, but I've always been interested in what, specifically, is appealing about it for those who have and would like to keep it.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, (I'm bored at work) what about having a King or Queen is important to you? I think Netherlands and the UK have two different types of monarchies, but I've always been interested in what, specifically, is appealing about it for those who have and would like to keep it.

Tough to say, really.

I guess most important for me is that our royalty is a strong uniting force. The Dutch have been in a funk these past few years. Economically, there's a fifty-fifty-left-right divide within the population, and during the crisis, the discourse has become pretty nasty and partisan. The troubles in Europa, and questions about staying or leaving, have further deepened this divide. Insecurities about Islam and the influence of other foreign cultures, worsen it even more. The crowning of our new king seems to have had a softening effect on this situation. People are looking up again, or so it feels. We remember we're all Dutch, we remember that this country is far too small for a population of 17 million to have grudges.

And then there's the fact our king and queen are obviously very sympathetic, straightforward, and pretty accessible. They seem to have good hearts and are willing to devote their life to the arduous task of being national symbols.

And with a princess as sweet as Amalia, I mean, come on... what brutal beast of a republican wouldn't have his heart melting....

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love babies!

I'm in that in-between stage where I don't have any, and my grown child isn't anywhere close to having any... so I love hearing about babies.

I agree it probably sucks at times to be a famous person having a baby, and I do wish them their privacy, but I love seeing baby pics.

Best of luck to the almost new parents. :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Not intending to be snarky, but then why did you post in this thread?

Plenty of people don't care. Some of us do and that's what, I believe, this thread is about.

Can't we all just be positive about something for a few days?

Can't we all just have our own feelings about this subject for a few days?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thrilled for the Queen.

Very few women ever get to be great-grandmothers and I'm sure she's happy as all get-out to be alive and in good health to welcome her new great-grandchild.

:)

I don't know...didn't she say something about hoping the baby's born before she goes on vacation?

I mean...she wouldn't postpone?

I hope the labor is easy, and I am hoping for a girl.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Can't we all just have our own feelings about this subject for a few days?

Of course we can.

I made a point in the first post
The birth will be of historic interest if the baby is a girl
. The law was changed to ensure that what ever the gender of the baby s/he would be next in line to the throne. I am aware that not everyone cares about royalty,I just wonder if anyone else has a view on this? How could the change in the law change the lives of, well, people like me. Will we see more shops that say "J.Smith and Daughter"?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on it.

1. About bloody time.

2. I'd get rid of the lot of them tomorrow if I had the chance.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the media leave her alone. Partly because new parents deserve a little privacy, and partly because I'm already sick to the back teeth of hearing about the royal bloody baby. Don't like the royals, don't much like babies either.

Waiting for all the schmaltzy 'if Princess Di were here...' crap to be raked up any day now.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
They won't leave her alone. There will be months of discussion about 'is she breastfeeding? Should she be? Has she lost the baby weight? Is she too thin? Is she too fat? Isn't the baby gorgeous?! (even if it looks like a pug).

Months of it......

Fuck. Think I might emigrate.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I hope the media leave her alone. Partly because new parents deserve a little privacy, and partly because I'm already sick to the back teeth of hearing about the royal bloody baby. Don't like the royals, don't much like babies either.

Waiting for all the schmaltzy 'if Princess Di were here...' crap to be raked up any day now.

If Princess Di were here, I wonder what her avatar would look like?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure she said a holiday?

http://www.today.com/news/queen-elizabeth-i-hope-royal-baby-arrives-my-holiday-6C10660965

During a visit to Cumbria, England on Wednesday in which she greeted a group of schoolchildren, the queen was asked by a small girl whether she would like the newest heir to the throne to be a boy or a girl. She said the sex of the baby does not matter to her, but that the waiting game threatens to throw a wrench into her summer vacation plans.

"I don't think I mind," she said of the gender, adding “I hope it arrives soon because I’m going on holiday."

Sounds like a standard "cute quip" kind of answer for a kid's question.

Granted, it must be a logistical nightmare to arrange travel and security for vacation changes, but I doubt she'd head off now that her grand-daughter-in-law is in labor.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They won't leave her alone. There will be months of discussion about 'is she breastfeeding? Should she be? Has she lost the baby weight? Is she too thin? Is she too fat? Isn't the baby gorgeous?! (even if it looks like a pug).

Months of it......

Fuck. Think I might emigrate.

'Twill do no good unless you go off-planet. The US news is full of it too.

If Princess Di were here, I wonder what her avatar would look like?

:roll:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't the baby gorgeous?! (even if it looks like a pug).

Hey now, I had two pugs. There are few things cuter than a pug mug.

As for the Duchess, hope she has a safe, healthy delivery, but I'm more interested in when the German Shepard female I'm getting my puppy from has her litter.