Women's Fiction Without Romance (At All)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I posted something about this but I can't seem to find the thread.

I think I've always written women's fiction (a female character at the center who is trying to find her sense of herself and her world in a strong and independent manner) but I never really dug deep into the genre, so I'm trying to do more research now (in lieu of hoping to self-publish next year).

I don't read much contemporary fiction, so I've been trying to read more lately and also see what's being published in ebook and traditional formats in the genre.

What I notice a lot is that many women's fiction books seem to focus not just on a woman seeking herself but also seeking herself through a relationship with a man (usually).

I have nothing against this kind of story but the books that I write are more about women seeking independence, self-discovery, self-worth, etc., though their own means and through other relationships besides romance (friends and family, usually). There might be a flirtation here and there, but nothing ever blossoms into a romance. I write this way because it rings true for me.

But I can't seem to find novels that are like this. Does this mean that if I tried to label my fiction "women's fiction", it would be misleading to readers because there is no romantic relationship in it?

Are there books out there in the genre that do not focus on a woman finding herself with a romantic relationship at the core of it?

Djuna

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I have a WiP that I tried to flog as 'women's fiction' and it had no romance. The only interest I had for it, was from publishers who wanted me to turn it into a romance.

Kalliopaea

Kalliopaea
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it's a good story with a solid plot, I don't think that a novel touted as "women's fiction" should necessarily be a romance.

Women can live without men, but men can't live without women. ~cheeky grin~

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you want it to be considered "women's fiction" rather than just "fiction"?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The books of Renita D'Silva, set in India with Indian characters, are almost exclusively about the women characters; usually the conflict is between mothers and daughters. Yes, there are men/husbands/fathers involved somewhere in that scenario but they play a minor role. It's about mothers and daughters. Her website is here; two books out already, the next one (which I've read!) to be published this week.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Is there a reason why you want it to be considered "women's fiction" rather than just "fiction"?

I really don't like the "women's fiction" distinction either, but an awful lot of agents specifically ask for it - so you have to go to them and say 'here is my women's fiction novel' blah blah, even though mentally, you're thinking 'I'm hoping guys will actually read this too, cos, you know, it's just fiction.'

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought I posted something about this but I can't seem to find the thread.

I think I've always written women's fiction (a female character at the center who is trying to find her sense of herself and her world in a strong and independent manner) but I never really dug deep into the genre, so I'm trying to do more research now (in lieu of hoping to self-publish next year).

I don't read much contemporary fiction, so I've been trying to read more lately and also see what's being published in ebook and traditional formats in the genre.

What I notice a lot is that many women's fiction books seem to focus not just on a woman seeking herself but also seeking herself through a relationship with a man (usually).

I have nothing against this kind of story but the books that I write are more about women seeking independence, self-discovery, self-worth, etc., though their own means and through other relationships besides romance (friends and family, usually). There might be a flirtation here and there, but nothing ever blossoms into a romance. I write this way because it rings true for me.

But I can't seem to find novels that are like this. Does this mean that if I tried to label my fiction "women's fiction", it would be misleading to readers because there is no romantic relationship in it?

Are there books out there in the genre that do not focus on a woman finding herself with a romantic relationship at the core of it?

Djuna
Of course there are such books.
You might find agents who are looking for "upmarket women's fiction", "book group reads" and literary fiction a better fit.

Such books often end up under the literary banner, and if well written enough become prescribed texts in women's fiction papers at university. I personally took some papers at university that focused entirely on such stories.

If I were you I'd try those who look at general fiction, those who look at "upmarket women's fiction", those who want to look at "book club fiction" and those who look at literary fiction (If you think it could possibly be literary that is.)

I would spend less time looking at imprints and agents that focus mostly on romance and include women's fiction as a side category, or who don't mention "upmarket" or "book-group".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.