• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of/dealt with Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.?

http://www.liebertpub.com/index.aspx

I just received a nice little check from them, but I haven't...er.. sent them (or anyone else?) anything in the past few years which might have ended up there.

I have written a few journal and editorial articles... but I had been invited to just submit straight to their editors ahead of time. The ones I've worked with do not go through this publisher. More so, I've never been offered payment for my work with these journals anyway.

I'm afraid to cash the check because I don't know how I would have earned it?!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a twist. Was there any indication with the check what/when it was for? Perhaps a journal you wrote for merged into one of theirs?

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't say anything on the check at all! No letter came with it in the fedex envelope, nothing. The top left hand corner is printed out like normal checks (name of the publishing agency and their address - but nobody's name is additionally specified here), and in the "Memo" section at the bottom it says "Pay Cash."

???

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Do you have contact information for them?

You might send them a short note (snail or e-mail) and query about the check. It can't hurt and since you didn't expect it, a few days wait isn't going to make the check go stale. *grin*

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have contact information for them?

You might send them a short note (snail or e-mail) and query about the check. It can't hurt and since you didn't expect it, a few days wait isn't going to make the check go stale. *grin*

There is contact information on their website, so I was thinking of either calling or snail-mailing (they do not have an email address listed. Though, they do have a form you can fill out for requesting additional information).

I just thought it would be good to ask everyone here first, prior to contacting them in case for some reason it was an extremely elaborate scam (or similar). ;) I don't want to get too excited about having actually SOLD something unless it's true!!! :)

Could Liebert have acquired a journal for which you wrote in the past?

- Victoria

I thought about this, so I went through their list of journals (it's posted online). None of them were even vaguely familiar. I suppose it is possible their website isn't updated, though.

So strange.

I'll let everyone know what I find out ;)

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update on this:

Apparently, this was a scam. I called the publishers and they said that someone was reproducing faulty checks, and sending them out to people, and then calling them up once they had started processing to say accounting had "sent too much money" and asking for a partial refund. So just beware if you get a check in the mail you're not expecting (especially if it's a sizable one)!!! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congrats on the escape!

I've saved co-workers from similar scams involving shipping charges, et al. These scum are everywhere.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It sounded scammish to me. I'm glad you sorted it out.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, this was a scam. I called the publishers and they said that someone was reproducing faulty checks, and sending them out to people, and then calling them up once they had started processing to say accounting had "sent too much money" and asking for a partial refund.

So it sounds like Liebert was a victim of the scammers, too? Because sounds like these aren't just "faulty" checks, they're fraudulent.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, are they pressing charges? Or maybe they should put a blog post up so people know and aren't taken in by the scammers.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it sounded very scam-ish as well, so I'm quite glad I was able to get to the bottom of it so easily.

I'm not sure if they're pressing charges or not, but supposedly this person has been creating fraudulent checks for many, many companies (I don't know which ones!). I wish I could get an update of some kind on actions-taken, but I doubt that will be the case. Just spread the word!!!

ETA: and just to emphasize: it doesn't seem that Mary Ann Liebert should be considered at fault for this in any way. It is a scammer who stole their name/check facings. So if someone does a search for this, don't necessarily be scared away: I've never worked with them as a publisher but they were very nice to deal with on the phone.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
You need to contact law enforcement.