• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a full to me. My partial requests asked for a specific # of pages.

Congrats, and good luck!

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind response. Now I'm curious, does anyone have first-hand experience with Ms. Ginsburg?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Susan Ginsburg and she got back to me on the same day asking for:

I would be happy to take a look at your novel. Why don’t you send it along electronically and I will read it as soon as I can.

Novel? Does that mean full?

Yes, when they want a partial they usually say how many pages or chapters. Good luck :)

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you....I have fulls and partials out to six agents, but I just got a request for a full from one of my top agents. What is the protocal for letting agents know you have your manuscript out to other agents? I kind of want to let her know, so maybe she looks at it quickly because she is one of my top choices. Is it okay to do that or are you not really supposed to say anything??? How should I if it is okay? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
^Just say that it's multiple submission.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Psst--simultaneous submission. :) you're submitting the same project to different agents. multiple submission is submitting more than one project to the same agent.

bobcat-Did the agent ask for that info in their note to you? Does their agency's website state they want to know? Unless there's a stated preference or direct request, you don't need to. Now, whether you want to or not, that's a whole different discussion. Some will say it can help, some will say it could hurt. Meh.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you....I have fulls and partials out to six agents, but I just got a request for a full from one of my top agents. What is the protocal for letting agents know you have your manuscript out to other agents? I kind of want to let her know, so maybe she looks at it quickly because she is one of my top choices. Is it okay to do that or are you not really supposed to say anything??? How should I if it is okay? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Unless the agent asks, you don't have to mention anything. They assume other agents are asking for it as well. Only if you get the Call are you expected to tell the other agents, and give them a chance to read the full if they have time.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Psst--simultaneous submission. :) you're submitting the same project to different agents. multiple submission is submitting more than one project to the same agent.

Opps sorry, mistake there.

coryleslie

Has anyone seen the sun?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corrinejackson.com
Okay. As much as I would love to work with Jodi Reamer, I'm thinking the time has come to move on to other agents at Writer's House. I sent my query at the beginning of March. She lists eight-weeks as a typical turnaround and I'm going on twelve. I know that she's requested partials or fulls from others in the meantime so I'm thinking she's passing on mine and hasn't sent out the pile of rejections yet :) I did a query check with her assistant weeks ago and he did reply that Jodi is backed up. How much longer do I need to wait to be proper? I feel like I'd be in the clear to move on to another agent now (and would have better odds with another agent who is more actively seeking to add to their list) at Writer's House. What do you think?

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it took her about 12 weeks to request a partial from me...so I'd say there's still a shot - though I admit that I'd already assumed it was a no by then. You can imagine my surprise.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request in mid-April from Jodi's assistant after four weeks. I don't expect a response until the dog days of late summer.

Hey, when you shoot for the stars...

newgreekwriter

Never listens.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Jodi around April...I haven't received a reply from her either. However, I did send one months before that and received a rejection within four weeks. Granted, I never sent it to a specific agent. Oops. :)

pegasus358

Registered
Reaction score
I have one word for those of you who are waiting to hear back from Jodi:
TWILIGHT.
Seriously, though. She's just been really busy lately, between the Twilight movies and her other big clients, and wants to be able to give all submissions the time and consideration they deserve. Please continue to be patient, and hopefully she'll get back to you soon.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Just an update: Maya Rock finally emailed me back this morning, with a rejection. So that's exactly four months from the day she requested the full, for those keeping track of her timeframes.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request in mid-April from Jodi's assistant after four weeks. I don't expect a response until the dog days of late summer.

Hey, when you shoot for the stars...

lol. Try the blustery days of fall. We're hitting vacation time. ;)

Sorry, lenore X, to hear your news. Gone are the days when she responded within a week or two.

wakeupwriting

Registered
Reaction score
If the agent does not have a link on the "about us" page of the Writer's House site (http://www.writershouse.com/content/about.asp), does that mean they are not accepting queries? I notice some of you are querying agents without bio pages and I'm wondering on what basis you chose them (if it's just that you know they repped books similar to yours, or is their info somewhere else on the site? And where do you find their submission guidelines?)

Thanks!

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score

Oops Bobcat, I just read your whole message. I asked The Rejector that same question on his or her blog. That answer is: it doesn't make a difference for most agents. The only thing that will speed things up is if one of the agents offers to rep you. And even that doesn't guarantee anything. The other agents might just pass on the project without reading it. Hope that helps. :D

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: Maya Rock finally emailed me back this morning, with a rejection. So that's exactly four months from the day she requested the full, for those keeping track of her timeframes.

I'm over the four month mark. Hope I hear from her soon!

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Dan Lazar on 6/2. He requested the full manuscript 2 hours later.

Got a very, very nice rejection last night. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about him and I can see why.

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
That's really fast though, quick like a band-aid.

Your signature numbers show that you're getting some pretty good interest...for only 9 queries, I'd say that 3 requests and 2 rejections is impressive.

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Saltier! Those stats are mostly out of 6, too, as I just sent another batch out yesterday. We'll see how the rest of them go.

I'd wondered at all the wonderful comments I'd seen about Dan Lazar, even from people he had rejected, and now I get it. I don't think there was any way to write a nicer rejection.

Am wondering if I should try any other WH agents now, though. I had been under the impression that he refers things if he thinks other WH agents would be interested.