Man + machine = FLOOD

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Guy comes to fix the backed up kitchen sink and dishwasher, says the dishwasher needs a part. Says husband can buy it and install it himself. Real easy stuff. Husband says no problem. Husband installs the part WRONG, notices the dishwasher leaking in the kitchen. Calls up guy, who comes back and tightens up part.

I come home, husband's in basement watching the Yankees and eating pizza. He says, "You have to come down here and try this pizza - it's delicious." I come down the stairs, take one look and scream. He's sitting amidst a FLOOD and doesn't realize it!!! I mean he's not IN the flood, the flood is off to the side but the water is VERY VISIBLE ... to a normal, functioning human, that is.

so Husband caused the flood in the basement, which he sheepishly confessed to the following day. And we're still cleaning up.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
He didn't realize the water was there - he was totally oblivious. I mean, the Yankees were on - we all have our priorities.
But it's funny - we each have our own radar antennae - mine are trained to pick up on anything askew. Within a second of being in the basement I was like WHAAA...?
And he'd been down there for, what, an hour?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
When I was leaving for vacation once, literally going out the door, I walked across a squishy section of carpeting. I called a plumber friend and asked him to take a look. I left a key for him. After he had ripped up the carpet and dug through the flooring, he told me he found a small hole and replaced a section of the pipe.

When I returned after two weeks, he said that small hole would've had enough time to grow to the size of a silver dollar, and the lower level of my house would have been completely flooded. I was fortunate that the leak was caught in time before it created significant damage.

One of the things he said has always stuck with me: "Don't ever leave your house for more than a couple of days without turning off the water main. The worst leaks happen when people come back from out of town and find their houses flooded."

I'm not sure how well that advice works if you live in an area where pipes freeze in winter, but it works in southern areas where temperatures rarely drop below freezing.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Actually, it's more important in northern areas. If you leave in winter and your heat goes out, the pipes could freeze and burst. I knew somebody it happened to.

Our water heater decided to die and spew water all over our basement just as we were taking the kids out to the zoo on a long weekend. We never made it to the zoo. And we had to pay the plumbers time and a half.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
He didn't realize the water was there - he was totally oblivious. I mean, the Yankees were on - we all have our priorities.
But it's funny - we each have our own radar antennae - mine are trained to pick up on anything askew. Within a second of being in the basement I was like WHAAA...?
And he'd been down there for, what, an hour?

Perfectly normal. He'd have eventually noticed after the game, or during a commercial, if he doesn't watch those.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
the water is VERY VISIBLE ... to a normal, functioning human, that is.

See, there's your problem. A male sitting watching a ball game and eating pizza is not a normal, functioning human...