Need the Power of Persuasion

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Please help me. What can I say to my 8 yo daughter to convince her to let me change her earrings for the first time? She's had them in since the end of May and my MIL bought her a new set today, but she won't let her take the old ones out.

It's been long enough, I'm sure. So, any ideas from the vastly wise and experienced?

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Hrmmm. My eldest was dying to put her new earrings in when she got them, but she was only two and i can't remember what my mom did with me. How about trying the old "Grandma wants to see how pretty those earrings are on you." trick. Never fail to take advantage of using the trump card of nana, grandma, grandpa or poppa when dealing with kids :). Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap. I spelled persuasion wrong. Mods? Oh mods...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
The ol' PIN AND YANK. It's like YIN AND YANG only vastly different.

Pin her to the floor and yank them out.
So as not to induce any undue trauma, right?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Hrmmm. My eldest was dying to put her new earrings in when she got them, but she was only two and i can't remember what my mom did with me. How about trying the old "Grandma wants to see how pretty those earrings are on you." trick. Never fail to take advantage of using the trump card of nana, grandma, grandpa or poppa when dealing with kids :). Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas.
I'll keep trying that. It's her grandmother who just called me trying to talk into changing the earrings, though.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
After a few months it's not a bad idea to take out the original pair, even if it's just to clean them and her ears. I admit that I didn't do it with my eldest because my mother insisted on peircing her ears when she was an infant, but at 8, I always thought that there wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps even letting her pick out a new pair of earrings for herself. Eventually she will wear grandma's earrings...provided they aren't hideously ugly or totally uncool.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
After a few months it's not a bad idea to take out the original pair, even if it's just to clean them and her ears. I admit that I didn't do it with my eldest because my mother insisted on peircing her ears when she was an infant, but at 8, I always thought that there wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps even letting her pick out a new pair of earrings for herself. Eventually she will wear grandma's earrings...provided they aren't hideously ugly or totally uncool.
Yes! I like the angle of "it's good to change them so we can clean them". I think that might work, especially if I say they recommend it. She's a big rule-follower.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Words can not describe how much I hate you right now for lying like this.
Right! I lie like a rug. No. Wait. That's not right...

Have you any body piercings so I can hold you down and rip them from you?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Yes! I like the angle of "it's good to change them so we can clean them". I think that might work, especially if I say they recommend it. She's a big rule-follower.

You could take that a step further and tell her if they aren't cleaned they could get infected and she might have to let them close up, then get them re-pierced. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You could take that a step further and tell her if they aren't cleaned they could get infected and she might have to let them close up, then get them re-pierced. :D

And if she still puts up a fuss, tell her that if they aren't changed regularly, her ears will swell up, turn black, and then fall off. And she'll look a lot sillier going to school without ears, than she will wearing a different set of earrings.

:eek: This is why I'm not allowed around impressionable children.....

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score

That's what I was going to suggest. Can't help you otherwise - I remember counting down the days until I could take out theose boring gold studs and wear my new pretty "emerald" earrings.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Melanie and Chaos, those suggestions are so devious they just might work. You tricksters, you!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was going to suggest. Can't help you otherwise - I remember counting down the days until I could take out theose boring gold studs and wear my new pretty "emerald" earrings.
I hear she bought monkeys when she was out with Oma. I mean, who wouldn't want to wear monkeys in their ears?!

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible she does not like Grammy's earings? Perhaps she is not averse to having new earrings in, but does not want those specific ones in? If that is the case you can tell her you just want her to put those in to take a photo to give Grammy and you will be glad to put the old ones back in (IF she really hates the style)?

Another thing may be that she has some pain from her current earrings that she has not told you of? Like maybe she tried to remove them once herself and it hurt and now she is afraid to try even though they are healed and should not cause pain on removal?

If you find out why she is not allowing the change, it may make it easier to find a way to do it.

Of course, if it is just plain stubbornness (which would have been the case if it were me being asked at that age) you certainly can just tell her you want said photo for Grammy's frig and old can go back in once they have been properly cleaned.

She may find she likes the change once it is done.

Good luck either way and let us know how well you fared.

Christine