Jobation June 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to write today, busy, busy day, and now my brain is on go-slow.

But it sounds like everyone else is right on track. Way to go, guys!:hooray:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to write today, busy, busy day, and now my brain is on go-slow.

But it sounds like everyone else is right on track. Way to go, guys!:hooray:

You and me tomorrow, Muse. Butts in chairs and writing like hell... :)

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Now that sounds like a good hero for a mystery series: Marya the former (can't think of what requires a young woman to run in heels...some odd bordello job? no, aha) retires from her long years as a dancer in the Las Vegas Revue, Running Babes in Boas. When she gets a call about a former hoofer friend who has been found dead of a heroin overdose, she knows that it can't be so. Mitzi would never have taken drugs. Marya rips off her hot water bottle, straps on her orthopedic sandals, and returns to the mean streets of Las Vegas to find her old friend's real killer. But can she succeed when...? (etc.)

Loved this! Perhaps Marya the bordello boob might collapse of a 'heroine' overdose, all that rescuing and trudging around in sensible shoes humming old show tunes from Running Babes in Boas.

650 words this morning and nary an adjective or adjectival adverb in sight (onesecondglance).

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Lorna, you crack me up. :D

About 600 for me today. About halfway through the scene, but need to contemplate on where exactly it goes from here.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
::groan::

No words here, I was beta reading. Should finish today and get back to my ms.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::groan::

No words here, I was beta reading. Should finish today and get back to my ms.

1020 this morning, and this afternoon I'll go back and see what they edit down to. oh, and *SNAP!* Jude - I'm about to spend lunchtime beta-ing (and I've already sneaked a peek and this looks like a good one. *sigh* I love good ones ;) )

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Mr Mitchell, go with that pain. It speaks to all of us--so it sells.

I'm off to work out, shake up those brain connections, and then to write. Nothing to report yet, but I have 3 days off work so I'm planning a lock-in for myself.

Have a fabulous write!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm about to go into minus words again. Yet again this book is not working so I'm back to Plot B again. Though I actually think I know what's wrong. I kept changing the plot without changing the characters as well, so after a while everything started to clash and it all just seemed very random. Last night I figured how the character's story has changed as well as the overall plot. I think. Eugh, this book will be the death of me. Someone better publish it after all this...

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing yet today, but I do have to stay up all day, so I may force myself to sit down and write crappy words rather than waste time. ;)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
you guys are so great to wake up to. Seriously, I'm gonna name all my characters after you in the next novel.

mccardey gets some nice words, whoohoo. Zelenka's "Someone better publish it after all this..." makes me smile--tough broad alert, and so cool! And Marya, gotta say, Marya-the-former-showgirl isn't a boob--she's smart and tough and wisecracking and dropped out of a PhD program in cultural anthropology only when her foray into tame exotic dancing, which she did to write a kickass paper about stripper culture, told her that there was far less money in anthro than in dance. Like you, she rocks! Doc cleverly plans for crappy words, so inner critic won't even come around for his dastardly deeds--clever boy, doc!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Mccardey, you beat me by two words. 1018 here today. Maybe I should go back and add a couple of adjectives, huh?

Actually, I'm just happy with progress.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
1000, but must go and think again for an hour or so about this plot line. More in editing later.

Last edited:

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
And Marya, gotta say, Marya-the-former-showgirl isn't a boob--she's smart and tough and wisecracking and dropped out of a PhD program in cultural anthropology only when her foray into tame exotic dancing, which she did to write a kickass paper about stripper culture, told her that there was far less money in anthro than in dance. Like you, she rocks!

Lorna, she literally could rock. I never knew this, but this article is about former strippers who made it big and Courtney Love is quoted in this bit from page 2 http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/04/wsarah_tressler_5_strippers_who.php?page=2:
She Took It Off...: The fact that Courtney Love didn't end up dead in a ditch is testament to her fate as an artist. She spent a fair amount of time stripping, even after having a brief gig as the lead singer of freakin' Faith No More. She worked naked in Oregon and Alaska, and was quoted as saying, "I just stripped and shut up, simplified everything in my life, got rid of everything I owned, and just wrote."

Then...: Look, we're not going to try and sell you on the idea that the modern Courtney Love is a fate that anyone should aspire to, but no matter what she is when she wakes up every day, the fact remains that Love is responsible for at least two of the greatest rock albums of this age, and her other output ain't bad at all, either.

Live Through This totally changed women's rock forever, and Celebrity Skin is for our money the best album of 1998 period. In addition, she's starred in at least two films that really should've netted her Oscar nods, Man on the Moon and The People vs. Larry Flynt. We still hold a deep place in our heart for her.
Might make an interesting bit of research to find out more. Talk about the edge.

Off to obliterate a plot hole.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You and me tomorrow, Muse. Butts in chairs and writing like hell... :)

Well, I got the butt in chair bit down pat. Managed a miserly 225 words.

Great wordage everyone else.

Well, I'm about to go into minus words again. Yet again this book is not working so I'm back to Plot B again. Though I actually think I know what's wrong. I kept changing the plot without changing the characters as well, so after a while everything started to clash and it all just seemed very random. Last night I figured how the character's story has changed as well as the overall plot. I think. Eugh, this book will be the death of me. Someone better publish it after all this...

I think you need one of these, Zelenka :granny:

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a good day of writing, got bit of the novel sorted and rewritten a short story.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mccardey, you beat me by two words. 1018 here today. Maybe I should go back and add a couple of adjectives, huh?

Actually, I'm just happy with progress.

I find the words New Chapter incredibly helpful... ;)

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Go, mccardey and BfloGal! New Chapter, new dawn, new day.

Thanks for that wonderactivist, Courtney Love rocks

BUT Lorna ...'tame exotic dancing'????

Marya channeling Bad Romance backwards in high heels with nipple tassels and belly wobble was not tame. Absurd maybe, not tame

Another 1300 words done this morning but my Zurich is too travelogue, always the problem when you love a place and want to rave about almond pastries and the glassy surfaces of Lake Zurich reflecting the Alps while the victim is marooned off in some hotel room waiting to be murdered

KylaRoxYourSox

Sink or Swim? How about float...
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for June is to find a critic/writing buddy, learn all this writers website lingo so I do not look stupid and write the first ten chapters of my book while also working with someone to decide where it's heading. I'm ready to discover my characters :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
502 words this morning - very interrupted morning, but those are the words that took me to the end of the chapter, so that's good. I'll edit them down this afternoon.

Difficult day.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for June is to find a critic/writing buddy, learn all this writers website lingo so I do not look stupid and write the first ten chapters of my book while also working with someone to decide where it's heading. I'm ready to discover my characters :)

:hi: Kyla! Welcome to the thread. Those are some pretty impressive goals!

Let me know what I can do to help. Do you have specific questions about the lingo? Feel free to PM me!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
2900+

Ahh, remember last week when I was young and carefree? Oh, I laugh, looking back at that sweet naive creature and her ideas about how she was only three chapters from done. ha ha ha, what a silly young thing! But now that I'm much older and wiser, I can see that it's really more like eight chapters to play out the climax. Eight long chapters. If WIP is drafted by July 1, I'll be lucky. Good news: it should definitely be over 70K words. Good news 2: the once-revised parts are now 43K, and that bit is in decent enough shape for public consumption.

Last edited:

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I went nowhere near my WIP. We each needed me-time. Today, tampered with the flow and voice of another chapter. Added 100 words.