NFL off season

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
:gaah:

We offered a new multi-year contract to that numpty Cutler! And we're letting Cowan go as a free agent! That's the wrong way up, surely?

And yes, I know this happened a while back but I've only just checked.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ravens signed Steve Smith. Could be a great short term improvement for the receiving core, but I still hope they draft a good receiver in the first two rounds.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of that was due to them not having a free safety at all really. Both starting safeties were far better at defending short passes and the run than they were covering anything deep downfield.

It was actually the first time since the '99 season that the Raven's haven't had a hall of fame caliber safety that excels in covering the deep center field (first Rod Woodson then Ed Reed).

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ermmm.... this is the thread about the National Football League....

I think you're in the wrong place, Flounder. Did you copy and paste this elsewhere to do your crit and then C + P back again?

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
New set of rule changes being discussed by the owners:
Proposal No. 1, via Redskins (Kickoffs): Would move the kickoff to the 40-yard line for safety and historic consistency reasons.
Proposal No. 2, via Redskins (Replay personal fouls): Would expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.
Proposal No. 3, via Redskins (Preseason overtime): Would eliminate overtime periods in preseason games for player safety reasons.
Proposal No. 4, via Patriots (Heighten goal posts): Would extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar, making it easier for officials to determine whether kicks are good.
Proposal No. 5, via Patriots (Longer extra points): Would move the line of scrimmage for extra points to the defensive team’s 25-yard line, making it a 43-yard attempt. This is to make the extra point more competitive.
Proposal No. 6, via Patriots (Boundary line cameras): Would put stationary cameras on all boundary lines – the sideline, end line and end zone – to supplement the TV cameras.
Proposal No. 7, via Patriots (Coaches challenges): Would permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays.
Proposal No. 8, via competition committee (Roll-up protection): Would add a penalty for “rolling up” on the side of a defender. Currently, a blocker cannot go low at the back of the legs of a defender. This would further extend that to include the side.
Proposal No. 9, via competition committee (Referee consultation): Would allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department in New York during replay reviews.
Proposal No. 10, via competition committee (Replay fumble recoveries): Would allow plays where the ball is in the field of play and there is a clear recovery to be reviewed and potentially overturned. Currently, when a ball is ruled dead, it is not reviewable.
Proposal No. 11, via competition committee (Clock stoppage): Would eliminate the stoppage of the clock on a sack at any point of the game.
Proposal No. 12, via competition committee (Pass interference modification): Would allow for pass interference to be called even if the foul occurs within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage.
Proposal No. 13, via competition committee (Penalty enforcement): Would make all defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage enforced from the previous spot rather than the end of the run or the spot of the foul.

I like some of them, namely rule 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, and 13.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I officially give up on the Jets. Hiring Tebow put me close; Michael Vick is over the edge. If we were talking about really skilled players in their primes I could maybe understand - instead it's like collecting used-up assholes for no particular reason. What's next? Tom Brady? :flag:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Michael Vick? Really? :Wha:

I bet Sanchez is glad to be finally out of there though. IMO, the Jets treated him really badly with all that Tebow nonsense. I know he's not the best QB ever but still....

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
That Sanchez-Vick news about knocked me off the chair.

I agree with Shadow Dragon about the proposed rule changes in Post #14. I've never understood why a coach couldn't challenge so many things. With such a limited number of challenges, I don't foresee them squandering any. Good proposal and I hope they pass them all.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score

As a Bears fan, I do not like rule 12. Where would the Bump and Run be if that was in force? Receivers get enough protection as it is.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That Sanchez-Vick news about knocked me off the chair.

I agree with Shadow Dragon about the proposed rule changes in Post #14. I've never understood why a coach couldn't challenge so many things. With such a limited number of challenges, I don't foresee them squandering any. Good proposal and I hope they pass them all.

Why should a coach be able to challenge a call? It portends chaos to me - asking for a play review is one thing, but challenging calls? Ref is a ref for a reason. I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if the NHL tried that one.

Michael Vick? Really? :Wha:

I bet Sanchez is glad to be finally out of there though. IMO, the Jets treated him really badly with all that Tebow nonsense. I know he's not the best QB ever but still....

Was better than Tebow? True. Also true - an open cardboard box may also fit that description, and it's more personable.

As a Bears fan, I do not like rule 12. Where would the Bump and Run be if that was in force? Receivers get enough protection as it is.

I'm sorry, but you understand we're talking about the sport with all the padding and the pausing and the helmets, right? Not the shorts and perpetual run, run, run, kick, run in the other direction, repeat, for some indeterminate amount of time thing. Like, football.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I officially give up on the Jets. Hiring Tebow put me close; Michael Vick is over the edge. If we were talking about really skilled players in their primes I could maybe understand - instead it's like collecting used-up assholes for no particular reason. What's next? Tom Brady? :flag:

Tom Brady is hardly used up....the Jets only wish they could get a QB the caliber of Tom Brady.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score

Good post. I don't like rule 1 because it would take away one of the most exciting plays in the game, the kickoff return. It also would hurt a team that has a good kickoff return unit because it would reduce the value of that aspect of the game.

I also don't like 12. Let the DB be physical with the WR in the first five yards. It seems silly to throw a flag for PI one yard beyond the line and give a team an automatic first down. The PI rule needs some work but I don't see that as an improvement.

The others look good to me.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Tom Brady is hardly used up....the Jets only wish they could get a QB the caliber of Tom Brady.

Considering what they've been collecting lately in terms of personnel, yeah, it looks like they wish they could downgrade to Brady. :p

He may not be the worst QB in the league, but he's certainly on the downside of his career and he's such an insufferable pos ass I just can't. It'd be nice to be totally unaffected by players' personalities or off-field exploits, but I can't do it. If I could, I might think Denis Potvin didn't suck... no, see, that's ridiculous on its face. ;)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you understand we're talking about the sport with all the padding and the pausing and the helmets, right? Not the shorts and perpetual run, run, run, kick, run in the other direction, repeat, for some indeterminate amount of time thing. Like, football.

ERmmm.... not sure what you mean by this. Yes I do know we are talking about NFL not football. I've been a fan for 30 years.

My point is that not being allowed to touch the receiver is going too far in weighting the game towards the offence. And it's weighted too heavily to them as it is.

ETA: Ok, now I got it! You are so damn cheeky! :ROFL:

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Considering what they've been collecting lately in terms of personnel, yeah, it looks like they wish they could downgrade to Brady. :p

He may not be the worst QB in the league, but he's certainly on the downside of his career and he's such an insufferable pos ass I just can't. It'd be nice to be totally unaffected by players' personalities or off-field exploits, but I can't do it. If I could, I might think Denis Potvin didn't suck... no, see, that's ridiculous on its face. ;)

Hate to break this to you but Brady is one of the top ten QBs in the NFL right now. Probably in the top five still. And there are guys who have done worse things off the field than Brady. Such as Michael Vick.