Acquisitions editor "reviewing" novel, never gets back to me

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm brand new here so please forgive me if this is absolutely the wrong place for this but it just didn't seem like it belonged anywhere else, especially since it's not a background check or warning or anything like that.

This summer I had an editor of Ace/Roc reply to my basic query letter asking to review my manuscript. I leaped with joy and sent it to her. I was very professional, but friendly. I felt really, really GREAT about it.

Now, four months later, I've heard absolutely nothing from her. I waited two months before asking when I could expect a yay or nay. No answer. I waited another month before trying again, politely asking when I could expect a reply on whether the novel would be accepted or not. Still nothing.

Now, as I come up on 4 months out with not a peep from her, I'm starting to think that she's passed on it and doesn't have the time to drop the news on me.

I want to start soliciting other publishers with the novel, but I did tell her that Ace/Roc were the only ones to have it currently and would remain so. But I kept thinking maybe she'd answer, and she hasn't. I don't know whether I should just assume it's dead and keep going without bothering to shoot an email out (since it's obvious she isn't keen on talking to me) or if I should send one last one saying I'm going to start soliciting others again.

I guess I also just wanted to see what you guys thought of the situation as most of you seem to have more experience than me. Any advice or previous experience with Ace/Roc would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe check their response times at Duotrope? (I'd do it for you but I can't remember my login there!)

A lot of the F/SF publishers have very long response times. A friend of mine was subbing books a few years back. As I recall, she got no response from Ace/Roc (sub and subsequent queries) or Tor and just gave them up for dead after three or four years.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any time you grant an exclusive, it's worth getting an expiry time.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
What Pyekett said. Never grant an exclusive without a deadline.

Four months is a long time, but major publishers (like Ace/Roc) can have wait times going up to two years. She might well get back to you at some point.

I'm not quite sure how standard/expected the exclusive is with major publishers. With agents, after such a long time, you could e-mail saying, "Hi, I understand life gets in the way, but I hope you understand that after four months I've decided to begin submitting to others again. I understand if that means you won't be able to consider my MS anymore, although I'd still very much like to work with you."

I'd probably phrase it a bit differently--it's been a long day and I am completely brain-fogged--but that'd be the gist of it. With publishers, I don't know if it works the same way.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
If you did not agree to an exclusive, you are free to solicit elsewhere at this point.

If you did submit as an exclusive, but without a binding date, then send a final notice informing the editor that the exclusive will expire by X date unless you hear from her sooner.

I know that with publishers like Tor, Ace, and Daw, there are very long response times involved, many are a year or more. While we writers may not understand the reasons, there are a lot of business decisions that have to be made and schedules reviewed before the editor can offer the writer a contract.

Good luck on whatever you decide...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it's an agent or a publisher you really like, one you believe is best for your book, putting a deadline on an exclusive is stupid. It's another way of saying, "I don't care what you schedule is like, or how many hundreds of other writers may be in line ahead of me, or whether the acquisition board is making you wait, if you don't give me an answer by the time I say, forget it."

"Never" is one heck of a long time, and you aren't even close to it yet.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Another possibility is to just politely ask about the status without asking about exclusivity either way. Like, "Hi, I submitted my manuscript X to you on this date, and still haven't heard back. I was wondering whether you'd gotten a chance to review it, and if so, what your decision regarding it was." This way, if she has rejected it (and the rejection vanished or whatever), you'll get a response. And hopefully if she's still reviewing it, you'll get confirmation that it hasn't vanished into the abyss.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
She just hasn't read it yet. There's always an urgent agented submission ahead of yours in the pile.

Your exclusive applies to publishers, there is no reason why you should not be querying agents. In fact, there are several good reasons why you should be.

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
She just hasn't read it yet. There's always an urgent agented submission ahead of yours in the pile.

Your exclusive applies to publishers, there is no reason why you should not be querying agents. In fact, there are several good reasons why you should be.

Actually, I can think of quite a few reasons why querying agents is a waste of time for this novel. *Gets on soapbox and prepares to rant* :Soapbox:

I've queried the crap out of all the agents who take sci-fi and they've all turned me down within the last year. I've pitched to probably 30 agents with two different novels, so 60 submissions, and it was only after I switched to publishers and 3 or 4 subs later that someone asked to see the whole manuscript. That's why I've turned to publishers.

At this point pitching to agents with the same novel is ridiculous. They're going to remember me from last year. I don't think it's going to change anyone's minds. Besides, unless I can sell something, I don't think they're going to be receptive. I got some feedback from a few agents who just told me the rejection was subjective or that they didn't feel they could sell it. No one has told me so far that it's the writing or the query.

The query I used with Ace/Roc I also used with a handful of agents who seemed like a great match for the novel and all rejected it within days. The editor meanwhile contacted me less than a month after I submitted the query. :rant:

But I digress. She didn't ask me to be exclusive, but by that point all the other queries had returned negative, so I just informed her of it to be polite or win brownie points or something.

Is it unusual that she hasn't responded at all? Or is that normal and I'm just inexperienced with this part (MS review) of the subs process?

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I can think of quite a few reasons why querying agents is a waste of time for this novel. *Gets on soapbox and prepares to rant* :Soapbox:

I've queried the crap out of all the agents who take sci-fi and they've all turned me down within the last year. None of them have time for me or take me seriously because it's science fiction, I guess. And because I'm not SWFA because to join them you're supposed to have sold something and I haven't. So it's a vicious cycle. That or it's the queries. I've pitched probably 30 agents with two different novels, so 60 submissions, and it was only after I switched to publishers and 3 or 4 subs later Ms. X asked to see the whole manuscript. That's why I've turned to publishers.

You have got to be kidding me? Agents who rep SF&F turned you down because its SF? Do your realise this does not make sense. Have you ever considered that your query or story did not stack up with others they have sitting on their desk? And SWFA has nothing to do with the fact that agents did not respond. 30 rejections, (and no response is a rejection), is a very small amount. About now, I would be looking at the query and the writing. What are they seeing that you are not seeing?

At this point pitching to agents with the same novel is ridiculous. They're going to remember me from last year. I don't think it's going to change anyone's minds. Besides, unless I can sell something, I don't think they're going to be receptive. I got some feedback from a few agents who just told me the rejection was subjective or that they didn't feel they could sell it. No one has told me so far that it's the writing or the query.

The query I used Ace/Roc, I also used with a handful of agents who seemed like a great match for the novel and all rejected it within days. Ms. Wade meanwhile contacted me less than a month after I submitted the query. That kind of bite after absolutely nothing has really turned me off of agents. I just don't see the point. :rant:

Here is what you are overlooking, agents are signing people every day, so somebody is doing something right. And agents that rep SF&F want to find good SF&F stories. Still shaking my head over that comment...

But I digress. She didn't ask me to be exclusive, but by that point all the other queries had returned negative, so I just informed her of it to be polite or win brownie points or something.

Is it unusual that she hasn't responded just with something to let me know she isn't dead? Or is that normal and I'm just inexperienced with this part of the subs process?

Yes, no response is more common than not, wanna read any of my couple hundred? There are all kinds of reasons agents and editors do not respond. Lots of wacko writers out there who do not know how to take criticism. Agents and editors have been stalked...

From reading your response, I get the feeling that you can not believe that the story, writing, or both are the issue. Trust me, if you are close, agents and editor want your story, they will work with you to make it the best it can be...

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That or it's the queries.
That would be my guess.

Is it unusual that she hasn't responded just with something to let me know she isn't dead? Or is that normal and I'm just inexperienced with this part of the subs process?
Four months is pretty minimal turnaround time for most large presses. If you haven't heard in at the 6 month point, query. (Their submission guidelines say "Please allow 5 months for a reply to an e-mail query.") If you haven't heard back about the sub or query at the 12 month point, query again. If you haven't heard anything after 2 years, move on.

And don't forget to check your email spam folder, in case their response to you accidentally ended up there!

Jessica Wade of Ace/Roc does acquire manuscripts from new authors, as she blogged about here, but, as she notes, editors are very busy people and things like reading slush often have to take a back seat. And they have a lot of manuscripts to go through: Ginjer Buchanan, the Editor-in-Chief at Ace/Roc, notes that they receive up to 1200 manuscripts per year, and they only buy one or two of them.

Adding: Just this morning, Gravity posted a link to an excellent blog post by his agent, which explains why it can take months for an acquisitions team to make a decision on a manuscript.

Last edited:

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
For all I know, this is an editor at a vanity publisher?

Here is what you are overlooking, agents are signing people every day, so somebody is doing something right. And agents that rep SF&F want to find good SF&F stories. Still shaking my head over that comment...

From reading your response, I get the feeling that you can not believe that the story, writing, or both are the issue. Trust me, if you are close, agents and editor want your story, they will work with you to make it the best it can be...

Maybe if you'd read my original post you'd see that the publisher is Ace/ Roc. You know, that big imprint of Penguin? Totally a vanity press, you got me.

S/F is in a slump. Unless you already have a track record, which I don't, it's very hard to get in. They're not willing to take a risk with S/F, even if it is good, because of the market. I'm not saying mine is the best, but I don't think it's terrible.

Also, even though you like imagining me as believing I can't see any fault with my work, I did mention that many of the rejections were subjective. That means they didn't like it. I've rewritten, reworked, and redone one of the novels 3 times and then tried again with new agents. They're just not interested. I have a Master's degree in English Writing, so my professors thought I could write (not that that counts for much...)

And as for SWFA I read that somewhere, possibly the Guide to Agents book or the Writer's Market. They recommended joining them (they said agents would take you more seriously) and I went to investigate and learned it cost money and you had to have sales.

Anyway, I'm sorry my being frustrated so deeply offended and upset you, but this novel doesn't have a future with agents because they've already seen it. If you can think of some way to change that, I'm all ears. Typically it's my understanding that agents don't want to see a book that's been edited and resubmitted to them without their requesting that specifically, so basically that's not an option.

so just Chill... :flag: If it's not OK for me to express my frustration with the process than I'm sorry I did.

Last edited:

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Four months is pretty minimal turnaround time for most large presses. If you haven't heard in at the 6 month point, query.
And don't forget to check your email spam folder, in case their response to you accidentally ended up there!
Ace/Roc does acquire manuscripts from new authors, as she blogged about here, but, as she notes, editors are very busy people and things like reading slush often have to take a back seat. And they have a lot of manuscripts to go through: Ginjer Buchanan, the Editor-in-Chief at Ace/Roc, notes that they receive up to 1200 manuscripts per year, and they only buy one or two of them.

Adding: Just this morning, Gravity posted a link to an excellent blog post by his agent, which explains why it can take months for an acquisitions team to make a decision on a manuscript.

Thank you! :D I had hoped she would just drop me a line when I sent one of the followup emails, but I guess when I'm at work and a vendor asks for info and I don't have anything to give them, I do tend to stay silent too, waiting for when I get word from my bosses (I have 3 of them, aren't I lucky, eh? :hooray:). I'm not going to get my hopes up but I'll definitely check out those links. Thanks!

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And they're signing fantasy. Not S/F. S/F is in a slump.

Gordon van Gelder, editor of Fantasy and Science Fiction
GVG: I want a variety of fiction. We never get enough SF and always get more fantasy than we need. It has been true since 1950.

Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Editor of Tor Books:
This is also true for books. We get way more fantasy than SF.

Carina Press:
Carina is actively seeking science fiction romance (including steampunk!)

At this point pitching to agents with the same novel is ridiculous. They're going to remember me from last year.
Kristen Nelson, a major agent who actively represents SF, noted that she received approximately 36,000 queries in 2011 (from which she signed 7 new authors). I sincerely doubt she remembers each author she rejects.

You can go ahead and think that since you seem bent on attacking me (seriously...chill. This is like my 6th post. I'm a newbie. Cut me some slack...maybe?)
No one's attacking you. We're being realistic about manuscripts in general and queries in general and the odds in general. 99.9% of manuscripts get rejected. That's just the way it is. Most queries aren't attention-grabbers. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if you'd read my original post you'd see that Ms X is with Ace/ Roc. You know, that big imprint of Penguin? Totally a vanity press, you got me.

I stand corrected. I did read the original post, I just did not associate the name. I need to pay closer attention...

I also know that silence is a rejection, and I count those. Also, what you're not taking into account, and what I have, is that many of the agents I've queried do more than fantasy and S/F, sometimes tons of other genres. And they're signing fantasy typically. Not S/F. S/F is in a slump. Agents aren't interested in it the same way they are fantasy and urban fantasy and vampires and the like. Unless you already have a track record, which I don't, it's very hard to get in. They're not willing to take a risk with S/F, even if it is good, because of the market. I'm not saying mine is the best, but I don't think it's terrible. You can go ahead and think that since you seem bent on attacking me (seriously...chill. This is like my 6th post. I'm a newbie. Cut me some slack...maybe?)

I have been hearing the same crap about SF and/or Fantasy being dead for going on 20+ years. I have heard the same excuses about why SF or Fantasy is a hard sale and that is why agents are so selective. No, agents in any genre are selective to what they can sell, not just SF/F.

If the work is fresh and new and is written above average, any agent would have to be an idiot to pass on a manuscript just because its SF. Please excuse me, but don't look for excuses where none exist. I do not mean to say that to be mean but because its true.

Also, even though you like imagining me as believing I can't see any fault with my work, I did mention that many of the rejections were subjective. That means they didn't like it. I've rewritten, reworked, and redone one of the novels 3 times and then tried again with new agents. They're just not interested. I have a Master's degree in English Writing, so my professors thought I could write (not that that counts for much...)

Congrats on the degree, but you are right, until you make a sale, all it means is you can read with an above average knowledge of writing tropes and style.

I never assumed that you can't see any fault in your work. I was only responding to the fact that you think submitting to agent is a waste of time and you do not see any use. There has to be a reason you are not getting responses and blaming the fact that SF does not sell is an easy out. Think on that...

And as for SWFA I read that somewhere, possibly the Guide to Agents book or the Writer's Market. They recommended joining them (they said agents would take you more seriously) and I went to investigate and learned it cost money and you had to have sales.

Yes to join SWFA, you have to have a minimum amount of sales, which means you are no longer a debut author. Trust me, agents are not going to hold it against you if you are not SWFA any more than a agent is going to hold it against a writer of Romance if they are not members of the RWA, or mystery writers are not members of MWA. If the writing is good, they'll grab it...

Anyway, I'm sorry my being frustrated so deeply offended and upset you. I'd thought maybe you and others would understand considering I'm surrounded by other writers here. Instead I get attitude and run down like rejection only happens because my work isn't perfect...? And I suppose all your rejections are because your work was imperfect, too, right? You never had one that you were confident in and certain you'd picked a good match and still got rejected? C'mon...

You have not upset me, though I think I have unintentionally upset you. Let me share a little story...

I submitted to Donald Maass three times between 2002 and 2005. 1st rejection was a does not fit agency needs. 2nd rejection was by his assistant, interesting but does not fit agency needs at this time. In the 3rd rejection, Donald hand wrote on my query, "You're getting closer."

What the hell does getting closer mean? Was it my query which quoted parts of his book, or was my sample chapters better than the previous two? Who knows since he did not explain. But his hand written comment did lift my spirits for a few weeks until the next rejections came in.

But this novel doesn't have a future with agents because they've already seen it. If you can think of some way to change that, I'm all ears. Typically it's my understanding that agents don't want to see a book that's been edited and resubmitted to them without their requesting that specifically, so basically that's not an option.

If you are querying the same agent 3, 6, or 9 months apart with the same manuscript, but revised, then you are not letting them forget. Most suggestions I have read is to wait at least a year, if not more, before submitting to the same agents. You can see in my previous example with Mr Maass that in three years time I did submit to him 3 different times and I would say he did remember by his hand written note.

I also had an agent, Irene Krass who did take a second look at a resubmit after I spent 9 months reworking the manuscript. She saw enough potential to offer representation if I would edit again, based on her suggestions. They were great suggestions by the way. I did, and she took me on as a client. Still, she could not sell the manuscript because I had too many grammar problems. Got lots of nice feedback and suggestions though from 5 of the biggest SF/F publishers in the business.
so just Chill... :flag: If it's not OK for me to express my frustration with the process than I'm sorry I did.

Sorry if you think I am jumping on you. I tend to be a little more direct at my refined age. Consider it tough love...

I do wish you much success, but remember, its not the speed of journey that matters so much as the final destination...

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Not S/F. S/F is in a slump. Agents aren't interested in it the same way they are fantasy and urban fantasy and vampires and the like. Unless you already have a track record, which I don't, it's very hard to get in. They're not willing to take a risk with S/F, even if it is good, because of the market.

I'm not sure what age group you write for, but at least in YA, S/F is a hot genre, with agents and editors snapping it up left and right to the point they're already talking near saturation.

Vampires haven't been viable in the mainstream for at least two years, and the end of that trend took Urban Fantasy down with it.

Fantasy-wise, Game of Thrones has created an upswing in the demand for high fantasy.

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Gordon van Gelder, editor of Fantasy and Science Fiction

Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Editor of Tor Books:

Carina Press:

No one's attacking you. We're being realistic about manuscripts in general and queries in general and the odds in general. 99.9% of manuscripts get rejected. That's just the way it is. Most queries aren't attention-grabbers. That's just the way it is.

If he wasn't attacking, then he was certainly coming on a bit strong. Skunk strong. I overreacted before but he was so eager to jump down my throat that he didn't bother reading the original post. Ace/Roc as a vanity press...LOL.

You're right though, I've definitely had some dud query letters. But I've also had success (compared to attempts with agents) the minute I check out publishers rather than agents. Samhain looked at the novel Ace/Roc has right now and praised it, but couldn't take it because it didn't have enough romance. So I'm just perplexed that publishers show interest with my queries, but an agent never has. I must be doing something right to get that. Not doing that something right all the time, of course, but I can't be shooting blanks every time.

They all say they want SF, but they don't seem to be willing to take it. They've gotta be sick of hearing from me and my two sf novels, that's for sure. I got a third one to pitch at them before too long, just to make 'em nauseous!

Time to switch to fantasy horror and erotica! :ROFL:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If he wasn't attacking, then he was certainly coming on a bit strong. Skunk strong. I overreacted before but he was so eager to jump down my throat that he didn't bother reading the original post. Ace/Roc as a vanity press...LOL.

Thothguard posted an apology and a clarification before you posted the above, Luzoni. I suggest you take note.

They all say they want SF, but they don't seem to be willing to take it. They've gotta be sick of hearing from me and my two sf novels, that's for sure. I got a third one to pitch at them before too long, just to make 'em nauseous!

There are lots of agents and publishers who do want SF but it has to be good SF, well-queried.

Judging by the numbers you've given in this thread, I strongly suspect you've not submitted your work to the right agents, in the right way, with a good enough query; or it could be that your work isn't quite good enough to make the grade; or that you've been extremely unlucky with your timing, and that the people you've submitted to had recently signed something similar to yours when they received your submission.

I know it's frustrating and upsetting, but hang on in there. All I can suggest is that you take a cold look at your query letter and your writing (Share Your Work might help here), and have another go at finding an agent once you've done that.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Old Hack that you may want to stick around and shop your query in QLH. I had no idea my query sucked so bad until I stumbled upon AW forums and found QLH. By that time it was too late as I had ended my submissions process, but if I have a query to submit in the future, I will definitely go to QLH.

Also, submitting to 30 agents isn't wide enough...I got lucky on my 47th try and know of other who got lucky on their 60-something try. But hold off on querying until you hit 50 posts here and can share your work.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Your novel is good enough to attract interest from an editor at a major publishing house.
You received no interest from the 30 or so agents you queried.
This suggests very strongly to me that your query is not doing its job.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
You don't need sales or SFWA membership to attract people's interest. It might make them pay a little more attention, but your novel will succeed or fail on its own merits.

Never offer an exclusive nobody asked for. If they cared about exclusives, they'd be the one to ask for it, and it's not going to make them read any faster.

People will be happy to cut you slack because you're a newbie, but that's not something you should demand--and newbie or not, if you're making wildly inaccurate statements (like SF agents turning you down because you write SF, or because you're not a SFWA member) people will call you on it.

Ranting is fine, but there's a separate board for that. In addition, many people here like agents. Some people here are agents. There won't be many people happy to nod and smile while you basically bash them, especially without knowing you or your work.

So... relax. Ask your questions, share your work, and try not to assume the worst of people. FWIW, I think sci-fi is badass, and if you have multiple editors willing to take a look at your work, I agree that you're undoubtedly doing something right. I think someone else in the thread already suggested running your query by the good folk of the Share Your Work people once you're up to fifty posts, and I'll strongly second that suggestion. A so-so query can kill an awesome novel before its time, which would be a huge shame.

I personally don't support the idea of requerying agents unless you've significantly revised your novel and/or your query. You're right, they'll probably remember you, and if it's pretty much the same thing they may get annoyed.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I wanna say is, be careful about using an editor's name in forum posts bemoaning how long they're taking to get back to you (and all the Rs you've had so far). It might go against you if she or someone she knows does a search on her name (trust me, it happens) then puts two and two together.... always best to be as discreet as poss when discussing specific editors online.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an announcement from one of our members who submitted to 281 agents before she found the one who helped her to a three-book deal with Tor.

30 submissions is nothing.

That's what I was going to post! :D

I also think, based on the thread in SF/F, that you (the OP) might be too narrowly focusing your query, and possibly overemphasizing certain parts of the story that are not as important as you think. ;)

I also suggest Query Letter Hell, but know that it is called Hell for a reason. :evil It would be best if you read around first and got involved with other queries before posting your own.

All I wanna say is, be careful about using an editor's name in forum posts bemoaning how long they're taking to get back to you (and all the Rs you've had so far). It might go against you if she or someone she knows does a search on her name (trust me, it happens) then puts two and two together.... always best to be as discreet as poss when discussing specific editors online.

There are actually a number of editors, agents, interns, published authors, and other professionals on this site. Many do not post under their real names or advertise their positions.