• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Hatala Geroproducts

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any background about or experience with this publisher? I'm going to send them a query because the characters in my novel are middle age and older and I think the story would appear to an older audience. Here's their web site:

www.geroproducts.com

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
The information is mighty sparse on their "Submissions" page.

But their books are available at Amazon, and you can do a 'search inside'.

Go ahead & write them. See if you can find out about their distribution.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
They appear to have produced three titles since their opening in 2002. One title isn't available through Ingram. That title is 240 pages and has a retail price of $19.95. The other two are listed with Ingram and come up as nonreturnable. They also have very high retail prices. One title is 208 pages and clocks in at $19.95, and the other title, at 216 pages, boasts the same retail price.

My guess is that they're a POD. The fact that they use Lightning Source tells me that's how they're getting into the online stores. LSI charges a hefty premium for POD services, and it translates over to the high retail price. Other hints that they're POD is that the books don't have a return policy, have those high retail prices, and Amazon doesn't discount their books. Might want to think about querying a company who can get your book into the stores on a competitive level.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria,

Thank you for the comeback. I heard you speak at the 2005 Maryland Writers' Conference. A colleague and I spread the word about "Writers Beware" when we returned to our writers' group.

I thought I'd give Hatala a try because Writers' Market updated their entry for Hatala in 7 Feb 2008. According to them, Hatala is looking for Erotica and Romance (for the 60+ crowd). Since I'm knocking on the door marked 60, I can tell you that the boomers still have some fire in us! My novel is more along the lines of 60+ Women's Lit than romance, but what the hey. Since I'm licking a recent rejection letter wound, I know the best way to get over it is to send out queries again. I won't know if my novel has a snowball's chance until I try. All I lose is the postage, ink and paper.

Onward and upward!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Victoria,

Thank you for the comeback. I heard you speak at the 2005 Maryland Writers' Conference. A colleague and I spread the word about "Writers Beware" when we returned to our writers' group.
That must have been my colleague, Ann Crispin--but thanks!
I thought I'd give Hatala a try because Writers' Market updated their entry for Hatala in 7 Feb 2008. According to them, Hatala is looking for Erotica and Romance (for the 60+ crowd).
You want not just a publisher that's interested in the kind of book you've written, but a publisher with a track record of publishing, marketing, and distributing such books. Erotica and romance for the 60+ crowd is a really interesting idea--but a niche nonfiction publisher with just 3 books pubbed since 2002 may not have a clue about how to make an entry into those markets.

If they show interest in your book, you will need to ask some very specific questions about their publishing, marketing, and distribution plans, as well as their expertise.

- Victoria

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Also bear in mind that general romance publishers are often interested in just this kind of content. Romance readers skew older anyway and many, myself included, prefer older to much older characters which are in short supply.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's advice about this. During the time I've been writing, I've dealt directly with one agent and one magazine editor. The editor has published several of my articles. The agent was interested in my novel, but to make a *very* long story short, he said that he wouldn't be able to represent me. Before working with him, I had a folder stuffed with rejection letters from literary agents.

As a change of direction, I've decided to bypass the agent route and look for a small publisher. Does anyone know where I can find a source of publishers who have a track record in Women's Lit?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have read romance with older characters at Avon, who don't require agents as far as I recall. Many 'not small' romance publishers accept queries direct from the author.

PurpleLady

Registered
Reaction score
I have read romance with older characters at Avon, who don't require agents as far as I recall. Many 'not small' romance publishers accept queries direct from the author.

My novel isn't a romance. There's an element of romance to it, but it follows a heroine's journey over a long span of time. It's really Women's Lit.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding anything published after '09.