Vandalizing signs to fix typos?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Typos bug me, but come on. Going around and "fixing" historic handwritten signs across the US because they have errors isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26351328/?GT1=43001

These two guys kept a diary about signs with errors and how they had "fixed" them. This line had to be the best though.

The misspelled word "emense" — rather than immense — was not fixed, Deck wrote, because "I was reluctant to disfigure the sign any further. ... Still, I think I shall be haunted by that perversity, emense, in my train-whistle-blighted dreams tonight."

:roll: If only we all had such silly things to keep us up at night.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Sixty years old isn't 'historic' in my book. It's recent enough for modern grammar.

I was just quoting the article on the historic part, they didn't say which other signs they've hit, but apparently it's been quite a few.

Bust still, to go as far as to personally fix it? Would you pull that kind of a stunt? And would it give you nightmares? The whole thing is ridiculous.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I thought this was going to be about signs like these:

sidwalk.jpg

SIGN_t220.jpg

misspelledAP0609_468x311.jpg

todd_382456_1%5B671548%5D.jpg

mountian.jpg

In which case I fully support vandalization for correct grammar and spelling. And yeah, 60 years old isn't historic.

This is historic:

elmorro_sig1.JPG

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, I keep harpin' on how we can't expect government to do everything, or to do things right... and I keep harpin' on how we need to get more involved in our communities and make personal efforts to right the wrongs we see.

However, this was not what I had in mind. :D

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Man, I wish I hadn't read this. Now I'm sorely tempted to do it, too.

I'd probably misspell my own corrections, sharpies don't have spellcheck.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I go on a tirade about how this is yet another example how the sense of entitlement we have in this country? I mean, this is a pretty effin arrogant thing for these guys to do. I can think of a few bad names to call them. Typos bother me too, but it isn't appropriate to decide to 'fix' something like that.

[/rant]

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I go on a tirade about how this is yet another example how the sense of entitlement we have in this country? I mean, this is a pretty effin arrogant thing for these guys to do. I can think of a few bad names to call them. Typos bother me too, but it isn't appropriate to decide to 'fix' something like that.

[/rant]

Thanks, Sass. That's my take on it too. And since they did it in MY state, in a national park, I'm doubly angry. Let them go deface signs in their own states.

MM

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
They were sentenced to a year's probation, during which they cannot enter any national park or modify any public signs. They were also ordered to pay $3,035 to repair the watchtower sign.

"Repair"? Isn't that what they had set out to do? And the park wants to "correct" it by messing it up again?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I do this all the time inside stores. I'd never thought to try it with street signs. o.o

Bart, who edits mens' room graffiti.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Typos are were the enemy, during the ten+ years I spent as a proofreader, so I applaud these guys (also there is another individual I've heard about)for trying to correct mis-information caused by typos! In the case of historic markers and municipal signs, crude correction notations are certainly not the type of "fix" I would seek, so "defacing" them seems kinda silly to me, but the signs are already "wrecked" because they are WRON G. But if the "fix" is well-done or involves replacing the sign then I say, "Bravo"!! And to quote the Cat: "Oh very young what will you leave us this time. . ."

Edit: Okay, so they are 28, not so young, but I do love the idealism.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Typos bother me too, but it isn't appropriate to decide to 'fix' something like that.

Sass, I doubt anyone is seriously supporting these guys, but can't you admit just a twinge of desire to do the same thing sometimes?

I get itchy fingers when I get something from my kid's school that really needs work. I don't do it, because my kids might suffer because of it.

I had a friend who moved to Mississippi because he liked the area. He could live pretty much where he wanted. They moved back to Texas because of the schools. He said the final straw was when his child came home with a print out of a turkey to color in (everyone remember those?), which had, in large script over the bird:

Gobel, Gobel.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, but we restrain ourselves. We rec'd a letter at work requesting donations to support a local high school band. It was full of grammar and format errors. And it was from the school staff, not students. Why should I send money to support that? I asked my boss (jokingly) if I could correct it and send it back. She said it wasn't worth our time.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
the best sign that i saw had nothing to do with public service. here it is:

english TUTION lessons

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Repair"? Isn't that what they had set out to do? And the park wants to "correct" it by messing it up again?

Why not? Like said before, 60 years isn't exactly 'historic'.
Because it isn't their place to do it and taking it upon themselves to 'fix it' is graffiti. They are arrogant know-it-alls*. And frankly I don't care if the sign is historic or not, it is defacing property and is wrong. PERIOD.

*that's me being generous, I can think of very bad names to call them.

veinglory said:
I don't have a problem with what they did. Do the authorities not want the sign to be correct?
So you go to them and point it out. It is up to the national park to fix it or not, not these punks.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Because it isn't their place to do it and taking it upon themselves to 'fix it' is graffiti. They are arrogant know-it-alls*. And frankly I don't care if the sign is historic or not, it is defacing property and is wrong. PERIOD.

Eh, I consider them public servants for it. Kudos to the proactive.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Sorry, K, for once you're wrong. Whether you consider 60 years old historic or not, it's a handpainted sign, part of the history of the park.

It's an arrogant, smug, self aggrandizing, obnoxious, and altogether creepy act of juvenile idiocy by two assholes.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's public property after all, right? It's not like there's an issue of property rights, if it were on private property. These guys are just helping their own employees get the job done right! :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, K, for once you're wrong. Whether you consider 60 years old historic or not, it's a handpainted sign, part of the history of the park.

It's an arrogant, smug, self aggrandizing, obnoxious, and altogether creepy act of juvenile idiocy by two assholes.

Oh, it happens time to time. And I don't really doubt the logic of that. They probably should have let the park fix it. I'm just irrationally offended by bad grammar. But then I'm irrationally irritated by many things.

Last edited: