Rejectomancy

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Got my R from Dark Faith 2. 88 days. Form, too, I was hoping for at least a personal since they were sending out so many personals. :(

Mine too.

I wouldn't fret, I don't think they are sending out as many personals as DT suggests. I think the style of their form is making people think it is a personal. Their responses seem evenly spread across Rejection, Form Rejection and Personal Rejection. So clearly there is some confusion.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto on the Dark Faith 2 R. Pretty sure mine was a form R: "Didn't grab my attention, I'm afraid." Which is a bummer because I really love this story. At least now I can flesh out the ending like I always wanted to, but was restricted by the wordcount.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Having grown several humans myself, I can say that I never lost any of them in there.

Well, there's a story idea right there.

I can also say I've waited MUCH longer than that at other markets, so it wouldn't have normally bothered me much. But since I'm already feeling low about my writing, it made me sad. :(

Don't get sad, get angry.

Wait, don't get angry, get obstreperous.

Oh, I see you already are.

I have nothing else useful to offer.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Ditto on the Dark Faith 2 R. Pretty sure mine was a form R: "Didn't grab my attention, I'm afraid." Which is a bummer because I really love this story. At least now I can flesh out the ending like I always wanted to, but was restricted by the wordcount.
I got "It's not quite what I'm looking to acquire."

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
That ratchets up my anxiety. I'm at 115 days at Dark Faith 2. Probably got lost :/

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps he's considering yours. Acceptances might be coming last.
Perhaps. The problem I have is the rejection sets are between a specific date. I can't believe it just so happens that everything over 100 days is being considered, you know?

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Analog for "Call-Center". Back to searching for a good market for it. Might go out on a limb and try it at Tin House before they close for the summer. It is a zombie story but a very adult one, yes? ;)

Aggy, all about pushing the envelope

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps. The problem I have is the rejection sets are between a specific date. I can't believe it just so happens that everything over 100 days is being considered, you know?
Well, don't forget, not everyone reports their responses on duotropes. There probably were 100+ day rejections.

There's also the possibility that maybe the stories were rejected before they made it past the 100-day mark.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Here's my Dark Faith 2: "I loved the opening and the structure, but the tale as a whole isn't quite what I'm looking to acquire."

Serves me fine, as I never actually noticed the anthology was concerned with a topic of faith 8-|

Go me.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the possibility that maybe the stories were rejected before they made it past the 100-day mark.
I hope so. In any case, there are about 60 subs left, and probably more than three times as many unreported. I still have a long way to go before I'm anywhere near declaring triumph. :)

44-day R from Shock Totem. That was a long shot, a dark fantasy unlike anything I've ever read in their first four volumes. I think I'll rewrite it before submitting it again. I don't think the first person perspective is working in its favor.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
70 day rejection from Lore. I'm running out of horror markets...:(
Did you notice Midnight Echo? Limited Print and e-publication, open to international subs, and $.03 a word. Their covers are freakin' fantastic, as good as any of the awesome Weird Tales and Shock Totem covers I've seen. 5K max word count though.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
*looks at the possible options of where to send this mystery.

I don't really want to send it to Alfred Hitchcock, because I won't hear back until the end of the summer. But I don't want to send it to Washington Pastime because of their being a false "pro-paying" market.

Wordcount, trying like hell to weigh the pros and cons.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
The silence is deafening here.

I've got a story at Stupefying Stories which has now gone "red" on my duo trope submissions tracker. Wondering if they actually received it now!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
The silence is deafening here.

I've got a story at Stupefying Stories which has now gone "red" on my duo trope submissions tracker. Wondering if they actually received it now!

If in doubt, query. Mr. Bethke is very nice about responding to polite queries regarding submissions that are past the 60 (?) day window.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Did you notice Midnight Echo? Limited Print and e-publication, open to international subs, and $.03 a word. Their covers are freakin' fantastic, as good as any of the awesome Weird Tales and Shock Totem covers I've seen. 5K max word count though.

My story is 4,600 words! Boo-yah! Thanks for the tip :).

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the Rs and crickets, everyone.

Don't get sad, get angry.
Wait, don't get angry, get obstreperous.

Heh. I am *always* obstreperous. :)

The R was personal, though no feedback in it. Usually they're much faster, too. I seem to attract Crickets of Extended Longevity.

Rejection from Analog for "Call-Center". Back to searching for a good market for it. Might go out on a limb and try it at Tin House before they close for the summer. It is a zombie story but a very adult one, yes? ;)

Aggy, all about pushing the envelope

Maybe try Black Static? They took a Naughty Zombie story from me several years back, so certainly it's something they're open to.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Rejection from The Colored Lens for "The Consumption". Very nice personal with some compliments, but I don't know how to take a comment that indicates that the concept is well visualized and clearly articulated, but the plot should be deeper to allow for the gore. Maybe I'll take it as a compliment. :evil

I think I've subbed to all my markets that don't allow sim subs. Off to send this story elsewhere. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Daily Science Fiction this morning, but just now I sent it off to Apex. And the beat goes on...