New here!

ncochrane3

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Nikki and I blog at www.onetinystarfish.blogspot.com I have loved writing all my life but have never been able to finish a novel. I always give up part way through. That said, I am committed to finishing and need some inspiration.

I am passionate about international development and working with the special needs population (as you can see from my blog). The story I am working on is about a family whose youngest daughter suffers a brain injury in a near drowning accident at age 2. The story follows the tragedy, how it breaks them apart, the struggles in raising a child with significant special needs, and how they overcome it.

I came here because I am a bit stuck and need some advice. I am wondering if there is an appropriate place to post the first few chapers of what I have so far to get feedback? I am at about 20,000 words currently, but would love to get feedback on the first 3-4 chapters to see if I'm going in the right direction.

thanks,
Nikki

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Great to have you, Nikki.
I think, being that we are a group of writers, we can all relate with the "in need of help" thing.
I think you found the right place!
EDIT: There is a place you can upload them. However, you have to have a certain amount of posts to do so. I believe the magic number is fifty.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
Welcome aboard, Nikki! This is definitely the right place to seek inspiration, help, and encouragement. This is a great group of writers here.

The appropriate place to post work for critiques and suggestions is the Share Your Work forum. However, all members need at least 50 posts before they can post there. This ensures that members will be active participants in the community, and that they will give as well as receive helpful feedback and critique. Plus, that will give you time to become familiar with the group and make some friends in the meantime!

Again, welcome!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

ncochrane3

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome! Great to know... I will get to reading some of the other threads :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

ncochrane3

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! I fear I don't have anything of value to contibute, as I really am very beginner, but I will certainly give it a shot!

Nina_20

C.J. Eller
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck Nikki. I joined up for the same reason. Hopefully we will both get the help we need.

xoxo
Nina