What if the mood isn't 100% sci fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has basically a sci-fi or possibly horror plot, but when I workshopped the first chapter, some of the readers were a little confused that the sci-fi theme didn't really hit them right away. The first scene makes it seem like the novel is more a love story or a redemption story. About 3,000 words in, I first introduce the idea of something a bit otherworldly (which was what seemed jarring to my readers), and the real sci-fi plot doesn't really take off until probably 30,000 words in. (Up to that point, the character is basically opening up the Pandora's box that is the sci-fi part).

Do you think that the theme of sci-fi or horror needs to be more obvious from the get-go? I mean, if you're writing about contemporary characters living in the world as we know it, who are maybe just scientists or interested in technology in some way, is this sufficient background that a reader won't be shocked when otherworldly events start happening?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The first scene makes it seem like the novel is more a love story or a redemption story.
Um, so why does that mean it can't be a sci fi redemption story?

Do you think that the theme of sci-fi or horror needs to be more obvious from the get-go? I mean, if you're writing about contemporary characters living in the world as we know it, who are maybe just scientists or interested in technology in some way, is this sufficient background that a reader won't be shocked when otherworldly events start happening?

Hmm that does seem a little late. I'd prefer it if there were at least a few clues. It depends on how easily you could slide in some sci fi stuff earlier. Of course a) it all depends on how it's written and b) won't the reader have a clue it's sci fi from the shelf it's on in the shop?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I say go for it.

How many minutes into The Wizard of Oz was it before they unwrapped the Technicolor movie camera and the audience went "WTF?!"

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a courtesy to let your readers know up front what the genre is, at least hint towards it. I'd suggest trying to find a way to work your theme in within the first few pages, so if it's a horror -- maybe one of the MCs has a collection of old horror movie posters or some such. Just an idea. :)

Nicole

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Why not just have a Sci-fi cover. there, done. The reader will have to see the cover before he reads the book, he'll know there's something scifi about it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has basically a sci-fi or possibly horror plot, but when I workshopped the first chapter, some of the readers were a little confused that the sci-fi theme didn't really hit them right away. The first scene makes it seem like the novel is more a love story or a redemption story. About 3,000 words in, I first introduce the idea of something a bit otherworldly (which was what seemed jarring to my readers), and the real sci-fi plot doesn't really take off until probably 30,000 words in.
That 30,000 word point might be the part where I want to start reading! :)
(Up to that point, the character is basically opening up the Pandora's box that is the sci-fi part).

I think the characters being scientists or "interested in technology" would likely clue me in enough, but it's hard to say. If I were reading I'd expect/hope for a "hard SF" story, but I guess I'd be in the minority of your readers.

While this doesn't apply to your story since its in the present time and all, I recall a "Heinlenism," - slip an idea in that tips off the reader that the story is SF - Heinlein's example: "The door dilated." Googling that phrase (in quotes) brings up many interesting webpages. Where was I ...

But I think if you have your characters get into a really geeky argument or two, such as the applicability of Maxwell's equations to a single electron (thus throwing a heavy dose of quantum mechanics into the mix), that should certainly tip off the read that it's gonna be SF.
Since Pandora's box is a story from Greek mythology, wouldn't that make it the fantasy part?
I took the phrase Pandora's Box less literally, to mean a bunch of 'odd' things show up that weren't there before, not explained in the story where they show up. It would be whether these things have a reasonable explanation ("scientific") or not (Who knows? This way-out crap happened!) that would determine whether it's SF or fantasy.

Perhaps the same writing up to and including that point could go either way, and be interpreted by different readers differently, and the real "SF or Fantasy?" question doesn't get resolved until later - perhaps either some prankster genius has invented some good hi-def live-motion holograms, or some prankster magician is casting lots of spells some ghost/soul is stuck on Earh and making these things happen for some reason (it has something to say, and these odd happenings are the only way it has to communicate with living people?).

Hmm, maybe for NaNo I should shoot for a 50,000 word OUTLINE of a book.

Danthia

The book will be shelved in whatever section the genre is, so if it's sci fi, then sci fi readers will know that going in.

However...

If the sci fi element is jarring your betas, that's a good indication that you have a problem. How you fix that if up to you. You don't want agents/editors thinking "why is this sci fi?" as they read it, or getting equally jarred.

I think if you introduced an otherworldly element in the first chapter you're on your way to clueing in the reader. Is it possible your workshop readers aren't sci fi folks? The non-SFF folks in my workshops are always having a tough time with stuff that a regular SFF reader takes in stride.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
"Heinlenism," - slip an idea in that tips off the reader that the story is SF - Heinlein's example: "The door dilated.

Always a good way to to if you can : incluing

Just state what has happened and ( as King and Browne say ) Resist Urge to Explain

He palmed the door
He switched off the voice that nagged in his ear implant
The shooter took him up three hundred levels
He tranked into the nullpoint. The dead places where stars could have been.
He disengaged from the overmind

Whatever. just slide it in without mention ( or very little) of what it is, or how it works ( ofc the exception might be hard SF, but even so only explain what you must for the story.)

Status
Not open for further replies.