Highlights for Children: jumbo merged thread of all things Highlights Magazine

Jimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmjanik.homestead.com
Moonslice,

Short fiction speaks for itself. The cover letter in such cases merely introduces you and provides a return address for future communications. Don't spend a lot of time on it. Since Highlights knows me, my cover letter reads something like, "Here's my next one. What do you think?" (Honestly!) If you're pitching a non fiction article, the cover letter takes on greater importance. Keep it short and sweet for 800 word fiction though.

Best,
Jimmer

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Keep in mind that Highlights usually buys all rights.

True but unlike some all-rights magazines **cough**Carus**cough** they pay on publication, pay promptly, and send you a check if they resell the piece. I know Playhouse Disney did one of their short in-between show stories from one of the Highlights contest winners one year and the author got a very tidy check from Highlights.

And although a cover letter really can be virtually nothing -- it's always nice place to see if you really can make your story sound fun and purposeful in two sentences or less. I know with my students, if they cannot do that -- the reason is almost always pointing toward an issue with the story that needs revision before sending. So it's a great little diagnostic tool and I still always recommend doing that in your cover and I always will :D

And the editors I've talked to say Cover letters make subs seem a little friendlier and less "ugh--here, buy piece now!" I know editors who say they never read cover letters at all, but still feel a little put out when a sub comes in without one. Of course, if you're a huge regular at a magazine you can even do cover letters on sticky notes (I know folks who do).

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Update. Whats going on with you Highlight submitters? I still haven't heard anything from my first 2 submissions and I put them in almost 2 months ago. Should I call? LOL I also sent in another one 25 days ago and haven't heard anything either. How is everyone else doing?

I sent in two, one was returned with a very nice note written in and saying they were holding onto number two for bit. They've had it since June 15th so far so I'm biding my time a few more months! :D

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I usually hear back in 4-5 weeks but lostgirl's right, the longer the better!

Update: week nine and counting after a note on a rejection slip for another article saying they were still considering it. :D Moonslice, this is only the second time I've submitted to Highlights so don't give up!

Last edited:

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
thanks. this is my first submission to them, so my hopes aren't too high. i'm just curious what they will say. so, november then.... another reason to wish away the summer heat.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
moonslice.. it can be much quicker depending on how they like it. I've mostly made it past the first round of editors and sent back on the second or so... It just depends.. but from what I've heard and seen they get back quicker by far than anyone else.. :D

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
I mailed my submission on 7-31 and got an answer today. They said they already have something similar on hand but thanked me for thinking of them. I didn't get any other comments written on the story.

In looking through Writer's Market I'm having trouble finding another appropriate market to send it to. Does anyone know of some good children's pubs that aren't in WM? I'll re-check the stickies above too.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Highlights for Children Fiction Contest

Hi all, this was in my emailbox this morning and thought I'd pass it on. Highlights editors are wonderful, and the magazine is a noteworthy credit...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]​
Three $1,000 Prizes to Be Awarded in Fiction Contest[/FONT]​
Highlights for Children will accept submissions to the publication's 29th annual fiction contest during the month of January 2008. The contest is open to anyone interested in writing for children and three winners will receive $1,000 each.[/FONT]​
For this year's contest, Highlights seeks stories set in the future.[/FONT]​
Under contest rules, any unpublished story is eligible, whether submitted by a professional or a new author. Previous winners have included both published and first-time authors.[/FONT]​
"Kids deserve the best, and we've long been committed to doing all we can to help raise the quality of writing for children," said editor in chief Christine French Clark. "Encouraging children's writers is what we do every day, but this annual contest allows us to recognize them in a special way. It's especially gratifying when we discover new talent."[/FONT]​
Contest guidelines state that all entries must be postmarked between January 1 and January 31, 2008. The stories should not exceed 800 words, and they may be considerably shorter for younger children. Stories glorifying war or crime or containing violence or derogatory humor are not acceptable.[/FONT]​
Manuscripts or envelopes should be clearly marked "Fiction Contest." Those not marked in this manner will be considered as regular submissions to the publication. There is no entry form or fee. Authors who wish their work to be returned should enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with each submission.[/FONT]​
The three contest winners will be announced on Highlights.com in June 2008. Winning manuscripts become the property of Highlights and will appear in the periodical at a later date. All other contest submissions will be considered for purchase at regular rates and terms. A list of winners will be sent by mail if a self-addressed stamped envelope is included with submissions.[/FONT]​
Highlights also accepts the submission of articles, stories, and fillers throughout the year.[/FONT]​
For guidelines or additional information, write to
Fiction Contest, HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN, 803 Church Street, Honesdale, PA 18431.
[/FONT]​

momto7

I love writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
providentmama.blogspot.com
Highlights rejection...now what?

My Halloween story just got a nice handwritten rejection from Highlights.(great story but it doesn't fit our needs...) Does anyone know what other children's magazine I could send it to? It's hard to tell in my Writer's Market book which magazines would accept a Halloween story.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Cricket?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
www.duotrope.com lists a number of magazines aimed at children/YA if you use their search engine.

(I'm saying that because Pat already took my suggestion!)

MM

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It would also be a good idea to research how far in advance they plan their issues. Do they buy halloween stories in July? February?

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
On the subject of Highlights, I live in the UK and my children are slightly older now so I'm been avoiding going the bankers' draft route to subscribe for a year to the magazine. Would anyone - ANYONE - have a spare copy or two that they'd be willing to post to me? I've got a bundle of US $1 stamps here and you're welcome to all of them to cover postage (and whatever else). It'd be much appreciated and would save me a full subscription.

Please let me know via PM. Thank you very much,

Symphony

Jimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmjanik.homestead.com
Symphony,

Don't you have a library nearby?

Whenever I choose to sub to a new market I go to the library and read the past year's issues cover to cover. It's amazing how many patterns you can see this way.

Every magazine has a certain style. You need to be familiar with that particular style to have a chance at publication with them.

Jimmer

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the suggestions, Jimmy, but I live in the UK and can't get access to the US magazines. I know quite a few 'foreigners' submit to Highlights, though - it still seems like a great market to crack, but difficult when, as you say, I'm not familiar with the style. That's why I was hoping for a couple of possibly well-read copies or otherwise - just to have a peak.

That's the trouble with submitting outside your own country, but the UK is crap, crap, crap for children's magazines.

Symphony

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
question regarding Highlights Mag.

I've been reading the thread mentioning the Highlights Magazine, and had a quick question.

On their website, Highlights states that they buy all rights, including copyright. So my question is, wouldn't that mean you can never have that particular work published elsewhere?

That just concerns me a bit, considering they may run it one time at a fairly low cost to them, and then the author never receives anything else for their work.

Maybe that's how all magazines work, but I wasn't aware of that. Sorry if I'm being ignorant.