picture book rules question?

dreams in words

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, for anyone that has done the whole picture book process. I could use your knowledge. I know that it is kinda a NO No to submit artwork with your book, However I am not sure how your art suggestions should be organized. Do you outline your artwork suggestions seperate from the story, Or per page with the story. I have had 2 rejections on one of my picture books and I was wondering if it's because of the way I submitted the art suggestion. described it per page. Of couse, it might be because it is a very detailed poetry format of way over standard of 800 to 1500 words. That might be it....

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, for anyone that has done the whole picture book process.
I'm querying - no takers yet.

I could use your knowledge.
I've been doing a lot of research.

I know that it is kinda a NO No to submit artwork with your book,
Yup.

However I am not sure how your art suggestions should be organized. Do you outline your artwork suggestions seperate from the story, Or per page with the story. I have had 2 rejections on one of my picture books and I was wondering if it's because of the way I submitted the art suggestion. described it per page.
From my research it seems that the publisher (if you're lucky enough to get one) will make the decisions about the artwork. You might get some input, but all your suggestions are very premature at this point. First you have to sell the story.

Of couse, it might be because it is a very detailed poetry format of way over standard of 800 to 1500 words.
Is it a poem? Or a rhyming story? Either way you're looking at a tough market.

That might be it....
Have you had your story/poem critiqued? Are you sure it's as good as you can possibly get it? Is your query letter as good as you can possibly get it? Are you researching the market, and making sure you're targetting the agents/publishers that are most likely to fall in love with your work?

Good luck, Dreams in Words. Hope I've been helpful.

dreams in words

Registered
Reaction score
awe, thanks dolores,

I think that I will take out the artwork as detailed per page and do it seperately. If they like the story they will check on the artwork suggestions!? That makes sense. Thanks a ton!

Yes it has been revised many times over and critiqued. It is a rhyming story in strong poetry form. No, I am not claiming to be the next Dr. Seuss! But that is the style in which it is done.

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
Also unpublished, but my information is that if a particular illustration suggestion is quite important to the story you can include it like this [illus:ultra-brief description] in the body of the text. Such things should be kept to a minimum though--just when it impacts the story.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
I have published one picture book (and submitted MANY more) but as far as I understand it, you shouldn't include illustration ideas UNLESS they are invaluable to the understanding of the story. So say, for example, that your text reads 'Mary did exactly as she was told and went to bed' but you want the picture to convey the opposite message, you might add [illus: Mary swinging from the chandelier].

However, any illustration instructions should be kept to an absolute minimum. The publisher will have their own ideas about illustrations (and so will the illustrator!) so don't try to impose your own too early on. What matters is your story - that's what they'll accept or reject. Don't cloud the issue ;)