The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
*signs up*
I'm hoping to start querying the darn novel by the end of/ possibly mid-March. Hopefully, the rough draft will be done by the beginning of Feb and we'll see how long editing and beta-reading takes... you just don't know how long it'll be, huh? :) Hopefully, the first query will go out early April or even before that.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, MysteryRiter! Welcome along, and good plan, too. :hooray:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Okay, I need to get my act together. Maybe this will help.

I have a rough draft of my novel done. I aim to rewrite and revise it in 2012 and then start querying.

Otherwise it will just sit forever. This is my challenge. :e2writer:

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to join this also.

I have two WIPs, but the main one I'm focused on right now is the "Man's Inner Beast" murder mystery novel (see sig).

I spent the last 5 or so months not writing for one reason or another. Then I got the writing bug back out of the blue a few days ago. Now, this is all I want to do ... forget work, forget housework, I just wanna write! LOL

So, I am tentatively doing a timeline of:

a) Have the first draft written by January 31, 2012

b) Find a beta/editor/whoever to help me edit the draft for that final polish to be ready for submission by April 30, 2012.

c) May 2012 - write query and synopsis so they are ready at a moment's notice to send out to agents.

d) May - June 2012 - query agents!

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I had really, really meant to only write shorts for awhile

But apparently the story I was writing had other ideas. I should have known better than to try to write a short with chars that I already had a longer idea for.

Sooo ~signs up~

Mission 1: Get the first draft done! (hopefully by Feb/Mar)

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
Sooooo..... just outta curiosity (and perhaps as a goal) ... how does one get one of those spiffy Novel Challenge signature logos/badgy thingies? :Sun:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I would love to join this also.

I have two WIPs, but the main one I'm focused on right now is the "Man's Inner Beast" murder mystery novel (see sig).

I spent the last 5 or so months not writing for one reason or another. Then I got the writing bug back out of the blue a few days ago. Now, this is all I want to do ... forget work, forget housework, I just wanna write! LOL

So, I am tentatively doing a timeline of:

a) Have the first draft written by January 31, 2012

b) Find a beta/editor/whoever to help me edit the draft for that final polish to be ready for submission by April 30, 2012.

c) May 2012 - write query and synopsis so they are ready at a moment's notice to send out to agents.

d) May - June 2012 - query agents!
Welcome along, Barbara! It's great to have you :hi:

Okay, I had really, really meant to only write shorts for awhile

But apparently the story I was writing had other ideas. I should have known better than to try to write a short with chars that I already had a longer idea for.

Sooo ~signs up~

Mission 1: Get the first draft done! (hopefully by Feb/Mar)
Yay, KitCat! :hooray: Welcome to the Challenge!

Sooooo..... just outta curiosity (and perhaps as a goal) ... how does one get one of those spiffy Novel Challenge signature logos/badgy thingies? :Sun:
Here's the post where we unveiled the badge (thanks to Lillie, our official badge wrangler :D): http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6703112&postcount=110.

Probably the easiest way to insert the badge is to quote that post, copy the link, including the [ img ] tags before and after (just copy the second instance of the image link; that should be all you need). Then go to your User CP, choose edit signature and paste the link with [ img ] tags and you should be away.

If you want to make the image smaller, you can either copy/save one of the smaller images in someone else's signature, or you can save the bigger one to your harddrive and resize in an app like Paint.

If you have any trouble, flick me a PM and I'll help out as much as i can. :)

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! I didn't know if you had to be officially awarded it somehow.

I know how to swipe images, but didn't want to do that unofficially - ya know?

TY TY! I'm off to take care of that right now ...

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, this sounds like a good idea... I'm querying my memoir right now, but I want to get serious about my new novel project while the other one's making the rounds. Sooo I'll sign up for this! :D

Um, basic timeline I'm aiming for:

First draft by March 7th (I'm going to Italy then, so I want to have it out of the way and be able to take a breather before revisions!)

Rewrites done by June-ish

Query-ready by August, hopefully... :D

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Can't wait to dive back into my novel-length projects. Already trying to wrap up one that's been neglected all year, glaring at me from the corner of the room...

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
You might check out Sid Field's books about screenwriting. Or Save The Cat by Blake Snyder. The key ingredient with a novel (for me, at least) is the structure and I most of what I learned about structure came from screenplays. (This may be because of their shorter length and the fact you can watch the final result in two hours. It's easier to see the practical application of the method.)

James MacDonald's advice/how-to on outlining with index cards is pretty spiffy as well.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hill

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
You might check out Sid Field's books about screenwriting. Or Save The Cat by Blake Snyder. The key ingredient with a novel (for me, at least) is the structure and I most of what I learned about structure came from screenplays. (This may be because of their shorter length and the fact you can watch the final result in two hours. It's easier to see the practical application of the method.)

James MacDonald's advice/how-to on outlining with index cards is pretty spiffy as well.

Just a thought.

Awesome stuff, peeps! :TheWave:

Alex, my advice is: Read lots, write lots.

I've never been one for how-to-novel books, myself. Though, if i were to recommend anything, i'd recommend the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim threads in the Novels subforum. The first one is stickied, plus there's an index stickied as well. The second one is here. Uncle Jim does recommend some books to read, also.

I quite agree. How-to books aren't for everyone. And without a doubt, the reader will always find one or two truths as well as one or two untruths in every how-to book they read. With that said, however, even if you're not a "how-to" lover, these books still serve as great inspiration to get working! I'd suggest: The Writer's Journey by Vogler as a more philosophical take-what-you-want approach to how-to books.

Hill

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in!

As I tried (for a whole two days before my family got the flu) NaNoWriMo this year and failed (two weeks suddenly became a month and then it was over), I think this sounds much more realistic. However much I love the idea of 30 days and nights of literary abandon, as a new mom, I'm not in the position to partake.

Therefore, 2012 will be the year to complete my novel. Here's some preliminary goals for myself: 9 months to complete draft one (roughly, September) and another 4 to complete round one of editing (roughly, January of 2013).

Wish me luck!

Hill

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
I would like to sign up for 2012! :D I have a couple of projects in the works and would like to finish them. (A romance, a mystery.) I'd also like to start and finish a new novel. (We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!) :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Anybody up for a W1S1 blog chain? Our topic this month is 'Interview a Character.' More details here. :)

sheribomb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'd like to sign up!

My goals:
Write one novel (my light SF/time travel WIP) and query one novel (an almost-ready urban fantasy ms) this year. My timeline is a little weird, as I'm expecting a baby in early March. So, my plan is to write a good chunk of my WIP this month in a sort of JaNoWriMo style and get my ms ready to query in February. When I'm able to get back to writing after having the baby, hopefully I can continue to work on the goal by finishing up my WIP and getting on track with querying by the end of 2012. Maybe this is overly ambitious -- it's gonna be a big year for me. We'll see!

Good luck to everyone! :)