Malleable May - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And then I'll have a story to tell when people come by AW and ask "How do I get permissions to use a quote?"

I'm new to fiction writing. In the academic world, we use quotes of other scientists and just cite them. When I started a novel last year (still unfinished), I described playing my favorite CD in the car, give the name of the band, and ended with the line, "If I'd shot you when I wanted to, I'd be out of jail by now." I happen to know the artist, and told him about it the next time I saw him. He laughed and thought it was great. I never considered there might be a problem. I'll be mindful in the future. Thanks.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm new to fiction writing. In the academic world, we use quotes of other scientists and just cite them. When I started a novel last year (still unfinished), I described playing my favorite CD in the car, give the name of the band, and ended with the line, "If I'd shot you when I wanted to, I'd be out of jail by now." I happen to know the artist, and told him about it the next time I saw him. He laughed and thought it was great. I never considered there might be a problem. I'll be mindful in the future. Thanks.

Do verify with your publisher (if you publish this work), but AFAIK if your friend owns the copyright to the lyric, he can give you permission to use it (and you'd cite it in the front matter of your book). You'd want permission from him in writing. But I know music copyrights can get fragmented in different ways - song vs. performance of song, frex - and I don't know how it works with lyrics, so you'd want to verify that you're getting the rights from the proper source.

IANAL, but I believe academic papers are a whole different thing than commercial work, and I think that's part of what trips people up. I see people argue all the time (even here on AW!) that because they cited the author, or added a disclaimer saying it wasn't their work, that they're good. No, they're not - they're laying themselves open to a lawsuit. Some folks think they can skate by because they're small, or self-published, or writing in a niche, but "the little guy" gets sued out of business all the time.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done on all the words, guys.:Clap:

I had a good weekend. Edited 5 scenes and fleshed out 3 more. I also made my very first website.:Jaw:

For a total computer dunce, I'm actually quite proud of it. It's still only a first draft so if anyone wants to have a look and give me some pointers, I'd be eternally grateful.:Hug2:

You can find it here.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
muse - I really like it!!!

Not much here. I got another freelance job, so that's what I'll be working on this week. Maybe in between that I can nail down what I'm doing next. I still don't know. :(

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
924 words added to the horror WIP this morning.

Edits on the amateur sleuth novel finished over weekend and sent back to my editor. But these are only 'pre-edits' and I am still at the stage of thinking the MS is a steaming pile of turds, even though it's been accepted for publication, so I am expecting a lot more work to do on the edits.

Every writer I've ever known goes through stages of thinking everything they've written is rubbish, at some stage. Why do we do this to ourselves?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
muse - I really like it!!!

Not much here. I got another freelance job, so that's what I'll be working on this week. Maybe in between that I can nail down what I'm doing next. I still don't know. :(

Thanks for checking out my website, Saoirse. :Hug2: I still have a lot of work to do to it, but it's getting there - I think.

Shara, congrats on the word count and finishing your pre-edits.

No words to report so far. Will put BIC later and get at least one scene finished.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
Every writer I've ever known goes through stages of thinking everything they've written is rubbish, at some stage. Why do we do this to ourselves?

I think that it's a pretty natural response to the circumstances. Writing, a book especially, is a large undertaking, one which requires honesty and vulnerabilities. Anything that asks these things of a person is bound to evoke some feelings of apprehension towards the results.

While I do sometimes feels that what I've written is trash, I also experience moments in which I'm elated by what I've written, moments that make me think, "oh right, I'm pretty freakin good at this." Somewhere along that spectrum sits the everyday grind of writing a book. Add enough anxiety to keep oneself grounded and enough confidence to keep one going, and the everyday grind, the hard work to see it through, and you've got a winning combo.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Managed another 620 words this morning. Trying to write through the insecurity.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
WIP #1 is almost ready to go. Well, it may be completely ready to go. I have edited the first 15K as much as I can, I think (I'm just sniping single words now), and the synopsis is pretty close as well.

So the question is: do I procrastinate further by submitting the synopsis to SYW, which was quite helpful with my first chapter? Or do I bite the bullet and throw the thing to the wolves?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
liz - I think it depends what you're looking for. If you want feedback on whether the synopsis is readable, probably just a couple of your normal readers would suffice. If you put it in SYW you'll get a certain amount of feedback on the plot itself along with the other stuff.

I am very slowly writing a fast-paced action scene. I literally have no idea if it works or not. I still need to up my pace to get anywhere near target.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be doing well with their targets.

I, alas, am not. I've been working on my website, trying to fix a couple of glitches, and haven't had a chance to get to my MS.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
702 words this morning, though I am still short of my weekly 3000 words goal. Must try and find time over the weekend to write.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A grand total of 28 words today added. 4 scenes edited and many words deleted. At this point, I'm not sure if I'm winning or losing. :greenie

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3,322. If I can keep up the pace (which I probably can't), I'll have a first draft in another month.

Wow, Liz you're steaming ahead. :Clap:

800 this morning. (There's something satisfying about writing an even number like that)

Oooh, I do like even numbers. :greenie.

434 words added today. I have 4 problem scenes that I need to work on over the weekend. Wish me luck.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing the editing, Saorise.

I worked on my 4 problem scenes all weekend. I now have them fleshed out, which is huge for me.:hooray: (I put them off for so long that I had a mental block on them.)

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
729 words this morning. Progress has been slow for the last couple of weeks. But I guess every word counts.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Shara - Awesome. And yes, every word counts.

muse - Nice work! So glad you were able to crush that block!

I have another possible editing job. :) I'd like to start writing again today if I can. I have short story due to my editor on June 1st. :hides: