• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Canaan-Star Publishing

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone come across Canaan-Star Publishing? They recently contacted the leader of my local writers' group, saying they were seeking new manuscripts.

Looking at their website, it seems this 'publisher' appears to offer no editing (not even so much as a content check), no typesetting, no proofreading, no marketing/promotion - in fact, essentially they just organise an ISBN and a poor-quality cover, and fire off people's raw MSS to online book retailers in exchange for 50% of the author's profits forever.

(I passed on the above to my group, in case any of them were likely to consider CSP.)

I could have this wrong, but thought I should post about CSP here, in case other people are coming across them or being contacted by them. Hope it's of use!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
What I don't understand is why they'll be charging to set up your book as an eBook, but not as a print book. Wouldn't it make more sense if it was the other way around?

On the plus side, they seem pretty open and upfront about what they offer and what they don't offer. They seem more like a "help with self publishing" service than a publisher to me. I do think they could come in handy for people who want to self-service but don't want to go through the trouble of formatting, uploading their eBook, etc. or people who don't have the know-how. Essentially, there are no costs for this (besides the $20 they apparently charge for uploading and distributing the eBook) and you get 50% royalties.

Not saying this will be good for everyone, but I am glad they're being up front about what they will and won't do.

Publishing, Print-on-Demand and Distribution Package

Includes:

• ISBN & Barcode, mandatory for your book to be sold by retailers.
  • Interior formatting of your book, with correct margins and file conversion to make it print, publish and retail ready.
  • Free personalised book cover design
  • Printing of your book to high international standards
  • Ebook distribution of your book (FREE till 31st October 2012)
  • Registration with British Library Book Depository as required by law.
  • Full distribution with your book available on Ingram, Baker & Taylor, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Gardeners and book wholesalers and retailers within and outside the UK
  • Free advice on book pricing
What I find odd is that they don't appear to charge to print your book (although I suspect they'll tell you how much they charge per copy once you contact them).

But they're up front about what you get, and yes, it may not be much, but in my book, that doesn't make them bad. They don't trick people in believing they get something what they won't, as as far as self-publishing services go, they don't charge much either.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the plus side, they seem pretty open and upfront about what they offer and what they don't offer. They seem more like a "help with self publishing" service than a publisher to me.

That is true. I think it just got to me a bit because if - I mean when! :) - anyone in my writing group reaches the point of publication, I would want them to find the best possible home for their book.

After all, bearing in mind how long it takes to write and polish one's novel, it would be a great shame for that to be followed by a complete lack of external editorial, design and marketing input.

Just my 1.2 pence (hurrah for currency conversion websites).

comfort

Registered
Reaction score
CANAAN-STAR PUBLISHING

I bought a book recently published by someone I know. It was published by Canaan-Star publishing and the book cover rivaled anything you can find in most major bookshops. It's titled Tartarus. I don't know if she paid anything for the publishing but I think that most self publishing companies don't do editing or proofreading for you unless you pay for that service. So canaan-star doesn't appear to be any different except they don't charge to publish you. my advice is to research many companies before recommending any to your group