Policy on warning people off PA?

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Could someone clarify exactly what the policy is if you come across someone's website and they've got a book out with PA?

Apologies if the policy is actually written out in so many words somewhere - I did read the index but couldn't find it.

Is it OK to say, e.g. 'you might want to consider a different publisher for your next book', and point them to some stuff about PA, or is it not acceptable to comment on the publisher at all? I don't want to be banned as a guestbook slimer, but it worries me when I see someone praising PA on their website - I know they're probably a honeymooner but other people reading their website might be drawn in. So could someone specify what the policy is, please? And does it just apply to PA authors' own websites, or also to questions/comments about PA on other messageboards etc?

Thanks.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AW doesn't have a specific "policy", but flames and nasty messages in guest books are strongly discouraged under threat of bannination. You can send a polite email noting what you've heard, but it usually doesn't do any good.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't think it's anyone's business to make first contact. If the author spams you, or otherwise approaches you first to invite you to their page, then, yes, a "um, you may want to look a little closer at your publisher..." could be warranted. But to out-of-the-blue comment on a person's private page is beyond rude, IMO, no matter how politely you do it.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Frankly, I don't think it's anyone's business to make first contact. If the author spams you, or otherwise approaches you first to invite you to their page, then, yes, a "um, you may want to look a little closer at your publisher..." could be warranted. But to out-of-the-blue comment on a person's private page is beyond rude, IMO, no matter how politely you do it.

I agree 100%. For one thing, there's nothing to be done--the person has already signed the contract. For another, it's needlessly hurtful. Why not let the person have their dream? They'll wake up soon enough--or not. For yet another, people don't welcome it when you punch holes in their dreams, and are likely to get angry or retreat even farther into denial.

If someone is about to sign up with PA...by all means, point them toward the truth. If someone asks a direct question about PA's reputation, definitely answer honestly. But I just don't think that any of us have any business first-contacting PA authors in an attempt to open their eyes. And I think that goes not just for guestbooks, but for emails, too (such as sending unsolicited responses to questions or comments on the PAMB).

- Victoria

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
I agree 100%. For one thing, there's nothing to be done--the person has already signed the contract. For another, it's needlessly hurtful. Why not let the person have their dream? They'll wake up soon enough--or not. For yet another, people don't welcome it when you punch holes in their dreams, and are likely to get angry or retreat even farther into denial.

If someone is about to sign up with PA...by all means, point them toward the truth. If someone asks a direct question about PA's reputation, definitely answer honestly. But I just don't think that any of us have any business first-contacting PA authors in an attempt to open their eyes. And I think that goes not just for guestbooks, but for emails, too (such as sending unsolicited responses to questions or comments on the PAMB).

- Victoria
On the one hand I totally agree with this--you never know how your unsolicited advice or warnings will be taking--but on the other hand, if it was me, I'd want someone to tell me whether I was just about to sign or the ink was already dry. Granted, I'd have researched the information and would have known all about PA but on the off chance that I hadn't...I would welcome someone coming in and shattering my dreams! Maybe not welcome-lol-but I'd sure like to know.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
The Key Thing

The key to this is privacy. None of us here would like to be corrected, however politely, in front of the world. A guest book is open to the public to view. It is a place to say "Congratulations!" and "I hope you do well." It is not a place to air out dirty laundry.

I would NEVER suggest mentioning such things on a Guest Book. Remember, their friends and family are the most likely people to read their guest book. Calling attention to what will most likely be a mistake in front of the people they interact with most would be disheartening.

If you have to say something to someone, do it in private, like email or over coffee.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
I'm on a panel at the Southern California Writers Conference in two weeks, and if given even half a chance I intend to warn an entire audience of writers. And I shall keep on at the welcome reception afterward. I shall do the same when my book tour starts in a month, should any writers ask me for advice.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It doesn't do any good unless they're questioning Should I sign with PA. Otherwise, they'll dig their heels in deeper and get their backs up about it. But I think the only people on PAMB are those who've signed the contract already.

And if they are questioning PA, all they have to do is a search on which AW is listed quite prominently in the results, which will bring them here for their answers.

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score

- Victoria

Well stated!

Ron

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
When I see PA authors asking questions and being given the runaround on the PA boards, questions such as "why can't I get my bookstore to put my PA book on the shelf?" I have been known to drop that person a private email giving them the link to this board and suggesting they read it. I've also explained why bookstores are so reluctant to carry their book.

This has gotten me into hot water once on the PA boards (you all remember that writer) but most of the time I get either no reply, or a courteous reply telling me thanks for frankly answering the question.

And when I get no reply at the time, half the time I get a response from the PA author a year later, saying, "You were right. How do I get out of my PublishAmerica contract?"

So far I guess I've helped about 20 PA authors, with the one guy who screamed blue murder on the PA message board as the exception. I figure that's a pretty good average.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin

Last edited:

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
That's the classiest way to handle it. No one gets embarrassed.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Thanks everyone, that clarifies things. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel like an idiot - I'll just be careful where/how I point people to information about PA.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I emailed a PA author who had asked about the auction, not to warn her off PA but to let her know that she wasn't alone in being skeptical about it. She replied graciously and said she didn't want to cause problems on the PAMB, but she was indeed concerned. I don't ever want someone who's unsure or questioning to feel that everyone else is gung-ho positive and therefore they should go along with the prevailing opinion even if they have doubts.

I've emailed a few authors before when they asked questions on the PAMB that others answered inaccurately - like an author who asked about literary agents, only to get the Pipe's standard scare-tactic speech on how querying reputable agents can lead to attracting predators.

Last edited:

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Every PA apologist eventually gets treated like crap. Isn't that odd?

My theory is that the author gets too close tot he employees and the employees have a hard time NOT telling the author the truth.

It is hard to be friends with PA employees because the officers don't want that. People have a tendency of telling their friends what is going on.

Once an author gets too close, they are gone. Maybe that can be our new way of getting releases. simply have the author get engaged to one of the employees.

just a thought...

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I found the post below on our local Craigslist and it made me cringe. Someone like this is ripe for being exploited by the likes of PA. I'm sure she really believes that her child has a special talent which makes her so ripe for predators. Is it even worthwhile to email her and try to warn her against scams and perhaps point her here? I almost did that but hesitated because I suspected she might take it in the vein that I don't understand just how talented her child really is.

8 year old wrote over 50 stories for kids, need publisher

My son writes stories since kindergarten and also draws his own pictures. I need assistance because he really creates good stories for kids.
Please, give me advice to where to go to have his stories published.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I found the post below on our local Craigslist and it made me cringe. Someone like this is ripe for being exploited by the likes of PA. I'm sure she really believes that her child has a special talent which makes her so ripe for predators. Is it even worthwhile to email her and try to warn her against scams and perhaps point her here? I almost did that but hesitated because I suspected she might take it in the vein that I don't understand just how talented her child really is.

My son writes stories since kindergarten and also draws his own pictures. I need assistance because he really creates good stories for kids.

Whether the child is a good little actor, good little singer, good little dancer, or a good little writer his parents need to be very cautious when they start looking for outlets for his talent.

There are sharks in the waters just waiting to take a bite out of their bank account regardless of which field of the arts they are trying to enter. Unfortunately, it is much easier to be scammed by a publishing company, IMO, because everything can be done online.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score

What state is she in? I know Craigslist, I'll set her straight. Feelings be damned. She has to be warned. About PA and others.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
What state is she in? I know Craigslist, I'll set her straight. Feelings be damned. She has to be warned. About PA and others.

A kid who loves to write like that should get all the encouragement and help he can get. If she and her son get sucked into a scam, it could destroy any love he has for writing. That would be a real shame.

Shadowman

Owner of the night
Registered
Reaction score
A kid who loves to write like that should get all the encouragement and help he can get. If she and her son get sucked into a scam, it could destroy any love he has for writing. That would be a real shame.

That's what I'm saying. I just wouldn't come out and say don't even try, everybody in the publishing world are scammer's. I mostly tell her to do her homework on any publisher she might want to contact and then check them out on the ripoff report. Then gve her a list of publisher's that she should stay away from. Simple as that.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. I just wouldn't come out and say don't even try, everybody in the publishing world are scammer's. I mostly tell her to do her homework on any publisher she might want to contact and then check them out on the ripoff report. Then gve her a list of publisher's that she should stay away from. Simple as that.

Exactly. :) Point her in the right direction.