Thread Newbie

mjHangge

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking around long enough to know what a great forum and group of people you've got here.

I'm an active-duty aviator in the US Army, a novelist, husband of 23 years, and father of 3 lovely daughters. I've self-published 2 novels, Penalty of Pride and Shreds of Humanity, and am working on getting my third novel published now. While in Afghanistan last month, I lost both my agent and publishing contract, so I decided that I needed to post my comments on an agent who I feel is very shady and unprofessional . I wouldn't normally do this because I feel a bit unprofessional myself as I prepare to share my notes on this agent, but don't wish others to waste their time or talents with this agent without knowing how they conduct business.

I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning more about this crazy art from the many experts on this site.

Mike

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Hi, Mike!

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with your agent. At least it gives us another name and face to be wary of; so something good comes out of it.

Thank you for protecting our nation, and welcome aboard!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Mike! :welcome:

Yay for de-lurking! You're right, AW is a great place (best online writing resource and community out there, imo), and is so because of the peeps who hang out here. Dive right in, you won't regret it!

Have you checked our Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks area to see if there's already a thread started on the agent in question? The best way to search is using the Google Custom Search bar at the bottom left of every page. If there's no thread, feel free to start one :)

See you around the boards!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing wrong about sharing your frustrations with your agent. Just stick with the facts. That's the best way to be professional about it. Don't editorialize on it. Just say what the agent did or didn't do for you.

Panthisia

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and thank you for your service for our country.

I look forward to seeing you around the boards (though I admit I'm still a bit shy here).

mjHangge

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Have you checked our Bewares, Recommendations & Background Checks area to see if there's already a thread started on the agent in question? The best way to search is using the Google Custom Search bar at the bottom left of every page.

Yeah, I had found her in there before I went with her, but the information was old and somewhat outdated. I experienced the same issues that were mentioned and want to update it with my own experiences.

Thanks for the google search recommendation, I didn't even notice that before and it makes a world of difference.

MjH

mjHangge

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing wrong about sharing your frustrations with your agent. Just stick with the facts. That's the best way to be professional about it. Don't editorialize on it. Just say what the agent did or didn't do for you.

I absolutely agree.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Cwright

Mmm... Mexican Food
Registered
Reaction score
That's too bad to hear about your endeavors with said agent. In either case, good luck moving forward! This is a great place to be. I am glad to have you along as well, and thanks for all your hard work out there!

mjHangge

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the welcomes, I'm enjoying the wisdom so prevalent here.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While in Afghanistan last month, I lost both my agent and publishing contract. . . .

I'm sorry for your loss. Were they taken out by snipers or IEDs? :Welcome: from an ex-army guy. Hangge in there, Mike. :D

Oops, I misread. You were praising wisdom, not wise-ass. :Shrug:

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

For those interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule. Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs. Wondering what those interesting acronyms used around the forum mean? Find out in the Absolute Write Dictionary.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)