Angry Robot Round II: Epic Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also in camp-waiting-to-hear. Nice to know others are as well. I sent my sub April 26. I was starting to worry as I know some fulls were requested quite awhile ago and at least a few rejections were sent, but it seems there are a few of us in limbo so I guess I'll just be patient.

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
Just got the rejection...sigh

form letter

BlinkerBot

Displaced New Englander
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the reviewers have kicked it into high gear. Just got a request for full manuscript. Hate saying that after the couple of rejections on the page - condolences, guys...

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I'm sorry JeffRen and GeorgeK.
'Grats to Blinkerbot!

Best of luck to everyone...on this and future subs!

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'll be alright after a few nights of binge drinking lol. Best of luck to the survivors ;)

It was an epic fantasy - my first novel, really, so even I would've rejected it haha. Still, it was worth a try. It's tucked away on a shelf right now, though I shall return.

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
*passes out congratulatory and condolence drinks* Well, my stomach's a little knotted up now that replies are coming back again. Wonder if it'll slow down again once they get to us April 29 peeps...

JosephMorton

Registered
Reaction score
Short time watcher, long time waiter

Hi folks.

I submitted some EF for AR, and I'm starting to get the fear that maybe my inbox is conspiring against me by potentially shunting it off to the junkmail box and then deleting it while I was off cleaning a toilet somewhere.

Just for amusement while we wait - how about sharing strange scenarios you've concocted as to why you haven't received any word back yet?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the reviewers have kicked it into high gear. Just got a request for full manuscript. Hate saying that after the couple of rejections on the page - condolences, guys...

Don't apologize for doing a good job. Congratulations

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Of course there's likely to be a lull for a couple of weeks whilst Amanda (Strange Chemistry) and Lee (Angry Robot) go to Worldcon, leaving poor head honcho Marc to man the fort alone*...

(*at least on the editorial front - which is the important thing for Open Door folks)

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
I heard about that lunch. She mentioned something about squeaking and babbling on about bat monsters.

Wish it was recorded.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks.
Just for amusement while we wait - how about sharing strange scenarios you've concocted as to why you haven't received any word back yet?
*sigh* Sadly, for me, it isn't a mystery. They must have discovered I loathed the new Spiderman movie. I was distressed to find out that they quite enjoyed it. Shocking, I know.

I debated with myself whether I should withdraw my submission. How could I work with that hanging over our heads at every editorial meeting? I decided to leave it in. We can rise above this, right?

Well, it looks like we can't. I'm certain that, at this moment, they are shooting sticky webbing and darts into the first five chapters (no more than 15,000 words) of my submission. They have no doubt routed my synopsis to all their little editor friends with scathing red marks dripping from the pages. They mock me at their private soirees.

Why can't we all just get along?

JosephMorton

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Sadly, for me, it isn't a mystery. They must have discovered I loathed the new Spiderman movie. I was distressed to find out that they quite enjoyed it. Shocking, I know.

Was it that bad? I haven't seen it yet.

I debated with myself whether I should withdraw my submission. How could I work with that hanging over our heads at every editorial meeting? I decided to leave it in. We can rise above this, right?

All humour aside, after reading slushkiller last night, I began to seriously wonder how bad sometimes these submission responses get. I'm actually rather new to the submissions aspect and while I'd heard a few stories here and there, I wasn't actually really ready for the thin-skinned responses on that site.

The way I see it, craft is craft, and if it's not ready, then the editors are basically doing you a favour by not publishing your material before it's at the caliber it should be. Now if you'll all excuse me, I have to frantically refresh my e-mail account for the next hour and yank the rest of my hair out.

Oh, and maybe get some dinner. Sushi, anyone?

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
Was it that bad? I haven't seen it yet.

My answer will depend on how many AR editors read this thread. ;)

All humour aside, after reading slushkiller last night, I began to seriously wonder how bad sometimes these submission responses get. I'm actually rather new to the submissions aspect and while I'd heard a few stories here and there, I wasn't actually really ready for the thin-skinned responses on that site.

That article is a real eye-opener. I was shocked at the level of entitlement some of those responses revealed.
Now...back to refreshing my in-box.

Marniy

Tastes like happy
Registered
Reaction score
My hopes and dreams--dashed! I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for that meddling mutant!

Darn you, Amazing SpiderMan!

Status
Not open for further replies.