Jed's Super-Dooper Baileys Pub for Newbies, Dragons, Saints & Sinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
Morning PK today is going to be awesome..... i think today i love being alive.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
It's a beautiful day here too. Freezing by Texas standards, but not bad for us. :D

I said at the job interview I can't start on Monday and I don't think they were very happy. :(

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Would love to visit your part of the world some day. (Must remember to pack a jacket.)

Hope they weren't as unhappy about it as you think, Fran.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Morning/afternoon/evening pubbers :)

Glad you're all enjoying some nice weather. We've got a day of possible severe thunderstorms ahead again, but at least when they happen it will cool down. It's hot and humid!

I am trying to finish my new first chapter today. I've almost got the first (very rough) draft done. Yesterday I wrote 1200 words, which was amazing and really the first thing I have written in ages.:snoopy:

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score

Glad you're all enjoying some nice weather. We've got a day of possible severe thunderstorms ahead again, but at least when they happen it will cool down. It's hot and humid!

I am trying to finish my new first chapter today. I've almost got the first (very rough) draft done. Yesterday I wrote 1200 words, which was amazing and really the first thing I have written in ages.:snoopy:

Yuck about the weather.

But :snoopy::hooray: for getting some good work done!!!

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I looooooooooove thunderstorms! We don't get them here very often, and they're usually weaklings. :D

Yay for 1200 words, Spiral. :e2cheer:

You'd be more than welcome, Z. But yes pack a jacket. And a cardigan, and a big jumper, and another jacket. :D

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I've just printed it out. I'm going to sit outside and try to edit it into a real first chapter.

I've also got Scotland (and England, and Ireland) on my list of "want to visit" someday. I'm re-reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon right now too, so that's making me think about it even more. :D My dad's side of the family is English--they came over to Canada when he was 11.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
If you are going to visit, I recommend May or September. It'll start bucketing on the 1st of June and won't stop till August.

I don't know Edinburgh very well. I'd make you both go round Paisley Abbey, and go and see the Dali, but otherwise you could do what you wanted. :D

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
If you are going to visit, I recommend May or September. It'll start bucketing on the 1st of June and won't stop till August.

Good tip.

(Hey - any possibility you could ship some of that water to Texas about July or August? That's our dry season - and it gets real dry!)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'll put out some buckets and then post them to you. :D

What's the best time of year for a milk-bottle white Celtic viking to visit Texas? :tongue

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
What's the best time of year for a milk-bottle white Celtic viking to visit Texas? :tongue

NOT Summer! (Unless you want to look like a lobster.)

It depends a little on which part of Texas. There are several different sections that have different weather. For this area, I'd recommend Spring (March-May) or Fall (October/November). Those wouldn't be as hot, would still have plenty of nice days, but would also give you a chance of enjoying some of those thunderstorms you love. Personally, I'd say late March or early-mid April for the spring wildflowers. You know how heather can make a hillside look purple? Well, bluebonnets do that for us only in blue. (For a taste, check out the Charlie thread where I posted a few bluebonnet pix. FYI - that thread has a lot of nice pictures and is well worth the time it takes to go though the entire thread to see them!)

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score

congrats sometimes you just have to write...

I looooooooooove thunderstorms! We don't get them here very often, and they're usually weaklings. :D

lol our storms make other nations tremble with fear :)

Yuck about the weather.

But :snoopy::hooray: for getting some good work done!!!

add my at-a-boys to the pile :)

Thanks guys!! I've just printed it out. I'm going to sit outside and try to edit it into a real first chapter.

I've also got Scotland (and England, and Ireland) on my list of "want to visit" someday. I'm re-reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon right now too, so that's making me think about it even more. :D My dad's side of the family is English--they came over to Canada when he was 11.

i have a long list of places to go and may actually do that one day. best o luck on the edit. we are rooting for you.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
NOT Summer! (Unless you want to look like a lobster.)

It depends a little on which part of Texas. There are several different sections that have different weather. For this area, I'd recommend Spring (March-May) or Fall (October/November). Those wouldn't be as hot, would still have plenty of nice days, but would also give you a chance of enjoying some of those thunderstorms you love. Personally, I'd say late March or early-mid April for the spring wildflowers. You know how heather can make a hillside look purple? Well, bluebonnets do that for us only in blue. (For a taste, check out the Charlie thread where I posted a few bluebonnet pix. FYI - that thread has a lot of nice pictures and is well worth the time it takes to go though the entire thread to see them!)

Oooooh. Bluebonnets are beeyootahfil. And Silver King's photo of the egret! That was gorgeous.

I keep forgetting how big Texas is. The whole of the UK is one-third its size. I think being from a tiny country I just can't get my head around it. :D

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I just got lost in that thread myself. Amazing, amazing pictures in there!!

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
"The sun is riz, the sun is set, and we aint out of Texas yet"

The above is not an exageration - just an easy way to explain how big Texas really is.

Glad you liked the bluebonnets. And FYI: it reallly wasn't a good year for them. You shold see it when they really put on a show!

(I love SK's photos! He lives in Florida somewhere that he can get some awesome wildlife shots.)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I want to get a photo of a kingfisher. They're really elusive. Most of the time they're just a flash of bright blue, but they've got to land sometime. :tongue

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Tips for pix of kingfishers (or any bird/wildlife):

1) Take your camera to where they live when they are likely to be out and about

2) Take some test shots to get settings for the lighting conditions

3) Be patient

4) Be more patient

5) When they finally appear, snap the shutter button like a mad man/woman hoping to catch 1 decent shot

Seriously, I swear SK must have the patience of a saint to get some of the shots he gets. But he and I do have one thing in common - we take tons of shots and only share a few.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to wait until I can afford a new camera. :e2bummed:

This is my favourite photie of Paisley Abbey. I took it just over a year ago. I miss not seeing it every day, but I won't be out here in the sticks much longer. :D

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
i had to quit using my camera when they stopped making Kodak film. sigh i am the old school guy with 2 SLR 35mm zoom film using cameras. nothing digital in my folder at all.

i miss Kodachrome film.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Can't use other brands of film or just don't want to, Rock?

Film vs. digital: Film has a quality that is missing with digital - most folks won't notice, but there's just something different. But I'm enjoying digital for most of my stuff. It's immediate - I can take a shot, look at it, change settings to improve things and (usually) take another one. I can also take lots of shots hoping I get a really awesome one, as long as I know ahead of time a bunch will be trash - without having to worry about how much it will cost me to develop them. I'm also more willing to play - experiment with things I probably wouldn't with film. (And I've surprised myself with a couple fantastic shots when evertyhing was "wrong".) It's good for learning and improving my photography.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
yea i can use other brands o film. and the cost is a pain. one of the last set of film experiments was to shoot only BW film for 30 days. i got some spectacular shots. its funny how when you shoot BW you get different shades of lighting to make a huge difference.

once i get past the current financial commitments i think i may go and shot a few rolls just for fun.

as to a digital i would have to break down and go buy one. i really love the feel of the SLR so getting a digital that felt the same gave me the same kinds of control will prob cost a mint. oh well i can start shopping now and pick one up next season.

s

Status
Not open for further replies.