Status
Not open for further replies.

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
Got a request for a partial, I am excited, but not holding my breath. How is everyone else?

Congrats and good luck.

I'm realy going to have "virtual" alcohol from now on. Hubby and I are finally having our fourth child. Great news for us, but it also means 6 months of nausea and little ambition to write. It's all I can do to get through a day with my rambuncious toddler.

Congrats. New babies are great. (Most of the time) :)

I'm just poking my head in -- new here, still finding my bearings. But I love dark chocolate, limoncello, and writing, so it seemed like I'd be in good company in this thread! ;)

In general, I write, draw, and paint fantasy, and I'd like to do everything from picture books to adult fiction. Right now I'm busy editing my first finished manuscript (YA horror), starting studies for a picture book (an alphabet bestiary of fairy tale creatures) and plotting towards this year's NaNoWriMo project (middle-grade fantasy).

So, how about you? Who comes around here often? What do you like to write? I'm looking forward to being involved on the threads, as opposed to the past year of lurker status. :)

:welcome: Kelkelen. I write fantasy, both adult and YA. My first novel came out last month and I have three more set to come out next year. Right now, I'm working on two adult novels and three YA.

Last edited:

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:to all the new members. I haven't made it here in several days, so I'm a little behind!

Got a request for a partial, I am excited, but not holding my breath. How is everyone else?

:hooray:Good luck!!!

Hey Pubbers,

I'm realy going to have "virtual" alcohol from now on. Hubby and I are finally having our fourth child. Great news for us, but it also means 6 months of nausea and little ambition to write. It's all I can do to get through a day with my rambuncious toddler.

Congratulations to all of you meeting your writing goals. That's fantastic. Toddler will be a t preschool tomorrow, so maybe I can crack open the computer for something besides checking baby's development on babycenter.com!

Ohmygosh that's so cool!!:Hug2::snoopy:

jtrylch13, that is *great* news! Congratulations to you and your (growing) family!

I'm just poking my head in -- new here, still finding my bearings. But I love dark chocolate, limoncello, and writing, so it seemed like I'd be in good company in this thread! ;)

In general, I write, draw, and paint fantasy, and I'd like to do everything from picture books to adult fiction. Right now I'm busy editing my first finished manuscript (YA horror), starting studies for a picture book (an alphabet bestiary of fairy tale creatures) and plotting towards this year's NaNoWriMo project (middle-grade fantasy).

So, how about you? Who comes around here often? What do you like to write? I'm looking forward to being involved on the threads, as opposed to the past year of lurker status. :)

Hi Kelkelen! Nice to meet you. I write middle grade, mostly, and I lurk a lot more than I post :D

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
I'd love to hear more about you, people fascinate me. (Did that sound creepy?)

*Sets down a plate of raspberry scones*

Nah, not creepy -- writerly. I think we're all a little bit fascinated by observing people and finding out what makes them tick!

Scones = WIN. My dad makes an amazing raspberry scone... right now, we're on opposite sides of the ocean, so I'm missing him (and his cooking!) quite a bit! I'm teaching English in Spain at present. Always wanted to see the world, U.S. hit an economic crisis, I lost my job, so... ta da! Worked a temp job for a year to save up, came to Madrid, did a TEFL certificate program, and now live and work here about 10 1/2 months of the year. Not sure how long I'll keep it up, but at least until the end of July.

Spiral, KyraDune, D.M.Drake, thanks for the welcome. :) And KyraDune, congrats on your published and soon-to-be-published books! That's very exciting.

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
DM~
Congrats!! That's so awesome! :snoopy:

jtrylch13~
Very cool! Congratulations to you as well! :snoopy:

Kelkelen~
You like dark chocolate? I KNEW you looked cool! :) :)

Like Spiral, I haven't been on in a few days. I keep forgetting how busy I get this time of year, between work and my son and his school stuff. I managed to spend a few hours editing my WIP this weekend, but hope to do more tonight. Time!!! I need more time!!! Oh, and coffee and chocolate. Need more of those as well. :) :)

Hi to anyone and everyone new, and to those I haven't seen recently!!

-JoAnne

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Welcome (belatedly) Kelkelen!

I used to come around here often, but life's been kicking my butt lately. I write mostly science fiction with the occasional fantasy, all of which started as a way to procrastinate from art. Now I figure I'm gonna have to take up a musical instrument to procrastinate from both.

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
So... uh... I have learned I have to take a break from projects... I am getting bored if I plan them out. It is almost as if losing the chance to make the story kills it for me. I mean if I make a detailed outline I follow it... and am bored. Anyone else have issues like this?

*Pours a glass of Sangria*

Sorry for my inability to articulate, I am confused as to what the problem really is. I mean, I can write the words are there... I just get bored. Any ideas?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I mean if I make a detailed outline I follow it... and am bored. Anyone else have issues like this?

Me. [Raises hand.]

I pretty much wing the first draft of anything from beginning to end. I might have little bits and pieces, a character or two, but often I'll just make it up whole cloth as I go. If I'm working on a novel or a really complicated shorter piece, I then make a running outline as I revise it into a second draft, then refer to that outline as I get it into shape as a final draft.

Writing and revising are very different experiences for me, though, with first drafts being a big-picture stream-of-consciousness spontaneous creativity kind of thing, and revising being a fine-grained, puzzle-solving, thinking-it-through thing.

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Me. [Raises hand.]

I pretty much wing the first draft of anything from beginning to end. I might have little bits and pieces, a character or two, but often I'll just make it up whole cloth as I go. If I'm working on a novel or a really complicated shorter piece, I then make a running outline as I revise it into a second draft, then refer to that outline as I get it into shape as a final draft.

Writing and revising are very different experiences for me, though, with first drafts being a big-picture stream-of-consciousness spontaneous creativity kind of thing, and revising being a fine-grained, puzzle-solving, thinking-it-through thing.

Ok, so maybe I am going about it wrong... thank you!

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
So... uh... I have learned I have to take a break from projects... I am getting bored if I plan them out. It is almost as if losing the chance to make the story kills it for me. I mean if I make a detailed outline I follow it... and am bored. Anyone else have issues like this?

*Pours a glass of Sangria*

Sorry for my inability to articulate, I am confused as to what the problem really is. I mean, I can write the words are there... I just get bored. Any ideas?

I'm still working out my own method. However, I don't think a detailed outline is my cup of tea. I've almost never outlined in the past, but what I'm learning helps me is just to have a brief list of upcoming events, chronologically. It's there if I happen to get lost, and gives me some idea of what the end will (ahem, *might*) be. I'm not a slave to it, though; I definitely end up writing things that aren't on the list, or deviating from it entirely. I think that might be the key to not getting bored or suffering from "too much planning." Know that the story is still allowed to hijack you. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so maybe I am going about it wrong... thank you!

No no no, don't take my way of doing things as being any sort of example of a way someone "should" do things. I'm just sayin', find your own process that works and go with it; other people's processes are interesting because it opens up new things we might want to try, but ultimately, each of us finds out own way to write.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what zanzjan and kelkeln said. I outline extensively and have the entire story imagined in my head before I write a word. I like it that way. But others do a loose outline and just write, while others wing-it. There are as many different ways to write as there are writers. Maybe a loose, less restrictive outline would help you. It might allow you to have something to keep you on track, while giving you the freedom to write creatively. Good luck!

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm still working out my own method. However, I don't think a detailed outline is my cup of tea. I've almost never outlined in the past, but what I'm learning helps me is just to have a brief list of upcoming events, chronologically. It's there if I happen to get lost, and gives me some idea of what the end will (ahem, *might*) be. I'm not a slave to it, though; I definitely end up writing things that aren't on the list, or deviating from it entirely. I think that might be the key to not getting bored or suffering from "too much planning." Know that the story is still allowed to hijack you. :)

Agree, thank you!

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No no no, don't take my way of doing things as being any sort of example of a way someone "should" do things. I'm just sayin', find your own process that works and go with it; other people's processes are interesting because it opens up new things we might want to try, but ultimately, each of us finds out own way to write.

Honestly I thought the over planning was the problem, and it saps the creative side of the story. I started a new one with three events (beginning, climax, end) in mind and threw out 5k words in four hours. And am loving it. So your advice was sound :) It reminded me I love to write for the thrill of not really knowing what is going to happen.

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
Honestly I thought the over planning was the problem, and it saps the creative side of the story. I started a new one with three events (beginning, climax, end) in mind and threw out 5k words in four hours. And am loving it. So your advice was sound :) It reminded me I love to write for the thrill of not really knowing what is going to happen.

I love how the very nature of writing is self-discovery. You learn *so* much about yourself: the themes that hook you and why, that some methods work and others don't, the type of personalities that it's easy or difficult for you to imagine or fully understand, which aspects of yourself go into your characters and which need to come from outside your own experience...

I really wonder, sometimes, just how well any person can truly know themselves if they never write.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
The large wooden door creaked opened. I peered around the heavy door to spy a jack-o-lantern lit on the far end of the counter. I tip toed into the pub not to disturb the three mice sleeping with their poker cards spewed about on their table. Set a keg of hot cider and a fresh batch of pumpkin sugar cookies on the bar, before sneaking out of the pub again. I hope everyone is having a productive Friday and the weekend is filled with laughter and joy.

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
imgres

Made some of this! Hope every ones having a wonderful day!

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
*Sneaks into Pub*
Hm. Those cookies sure look good.
*Snitches one*
Mmm. Pumpkiny. Now where can I get a Ramos Gin Fizz around here...

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
Oh, what I wouldn't give for some pumpkin cookies! (They're not really a thing in Madrid...) Maybe I can bake some for Halloween, if I can find pumpkin puree in a foreign food store. Hm. *plots*

Have a great weekend, all! :)

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
I mean if I make a detailed outline I follow it... and am bored. Anyone else have issues like this?

I can't write from an outline, I tried but it doesn't work for me. Not even a partial. I have to just sit down and write, or else nothing comes out. It's funny how everybody has to go about it in different ways.

The large wooden door creaked opened. I peered around the heavy door to spy a jack-o-lantern lit on the far end of the counter. I tip toed into the pub not to disturb the three mice sleeping with their poker cards spewed about on their table. Set a keg of hot cider and a fresh batch of pumpkin sugar cookies on the bar, before sneaking out of the pub again. I hope everyone is having a productive Friday and the weekend is filled with laughter and joy.

*fills a glass with cider, snatches a few cookies, and settles down in front of the fireplace* I'm having a great week. I finished the second draft of one novel on Thursday and the first draft of another on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.