What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the concept and the setting. But I found the main character was wishy-washy and two-dimensional. And the "love triangle" really fell flat for me. Didn't love the book, but I did like it enough to read the other 2 books in the series. 1 and 2 were meh for me, but I enjoyed the third one more.

Gah! another one I put down. I just wasn't blown away. The prose is nice, but there was just something missing for me. Not sure what, but I do want to try it again.

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
I just started Masque of the Red Death, loving it so far - very atmospheric.

My fave Sarah Dessen book is Just Listen.

That's my favorite too! But I've only read Just Listen and Keeping the Moon, so I feel like I should probably read more before I call it.

My fave Sarah Dessen book is SOMEONE LIKE YOU and THIS LULLABY, oh and DREAMLAND. I love Macon and Dexter and hell even Rogerson. Yeah...I'm crazy :tongue

I just finished and loved SOMETHING L!K3 N0RMAL - I posted a freaking love letter/review on my blog

Oh! Thanks for the SD recs. And I just won SLN in a contest, so i'm glad you loved that one.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
That's my favorite too! But I've only read Just Listen and Keeping the Moon, so I feel like I should probably read more before I call it.

Oh! Thanks for the SD recs. And I just won SLN in a contest, so i'm glad you loved that one.

Just Listen is my favourite too. Having said that, I've only read JL, Along for the Ride (gave up because it was boring) and the one with Wes in (so meh that I only remember the LI's name, not even the MC. And that's only because Wes is the name of the comedy-chav LI in DIARY OF A CHAV series by Grace Dent).
Bujt I suspect even if i read all of them, JL would still be my favourite.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Finnickin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. Halfway through now--so far, so good.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So I was pretty middle-ground on SCARLET. Some things I really liked and some things I didn't, and some of those things changed as the book went on. It kept me reading well enough, though.

Reading A WANT SO WICKED now

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin-loved it! Atmospheric without being heavy in worldbuilding, love triangle without "instalove", dark characters without melodrama-can't wait for the next one.

Finnickin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. Halfway through now--so far, so good.

According to my library, this book has been "in transit" for the past month! Grumble..

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through Garth Nix's A CONFUSION OF PRINCES. God, this man's imagination is amazing.

This book may well be one of my favorites of the year...but wait, there's CINDER to consider. Agggh! 2012 has been a wonderful year for YA speculative, gotta say.

CoryG

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ness's "Chaos Walking" series... again ;) Love "The Knife of Never Letting Go" the best...

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I think Matched is overrated.

OMG I feel the exact same way. It was one of the only books I bought this year (I normally use the library) and I hated it. I stopped reading when she started talking about how special his eyes were, RE: casualrungal's comment. Not just because teens don't focus on descriptions of eyes, but also because I can't stand when a romance is set up in such a lazy way. If his eyes aren't an odd color or don't have weird shapes in them, they are NOT special. The only purpose of such an appraisal otherwise is to imply an upcoming romance.

ANYWAY, I'm currently reading Rampant by Diana Peterfreund. It's about unicorn hunters. Not my normal choice, but I got it at Half Price Books for $2 and it has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon w/ 70+ reviews, so I decided to give it a chance. It has my interest, but I'm not impressed yet. I'll see how I feel later (I'm on pg 44 now.)

I can say that it's much better than Matched at this point.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Eighth Grade Bites, by Heather Brewer, which is lower-MG. It was quick, entertaining read. And the cover is great. Not sure if I'll seek out the rest of the books in the series, though.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I started Across the Universe last night. I want to love it. I was primed to love it. But so far I'm...underwhelmed. I'm on page 40 and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put it down or keep going.

You got further than I did, but I'm going to try again and push through because a friend of mine whose opinion I trust said it turns out to be a great read. I just hate when I'm not sucked in right away. Actually, I was by the first chapter and then the 2nd and 3rd lost me :( But, I will def give it another shot. I also hear the sequel is even better, so...

I was the same way and I agree that the sequel is a lot better. ATU is okay, but it's a bit slow and the repetition of the word "always" as a promise bothered me. Every time it came up, I thought about Snape and Peeta. Not ATU. Seemed really unoriginal to me. This wouldn't normally matter, but it's a huge part of the book.

I really like the sequel, A Million Suns, though. The writing is comparatively stronger and the plot is more interesting than in the first book.

milkymoon

Registered
Reaction score
My copy of Hollow Pike just arrived and I'm very excited!

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves. LOVED her debut novel Bleeding Violet, so I'm happy to report that this SoC is just as twisted and beautiful as BV was. Really enjoying it so far.

I've been meaning to check out this author. Her books always sound so unique.

Currently on chapter 4 of The Fault in Our Stars. Moving somewhat slowly. All the usual John Green tropes are there but I'm still enjoying it more than some of his other ones.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I finished EV3 and ADAM, and wrote a really critical (non-spoilery) review. And then Michael Grant (AN1MORPHS, HUNGER, etc) wrote back...saying thank you. o_O

Now reading T1ME B3TW33N U$ (YA time travel). Out in Oct.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I just finished Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Nice series, I think the character is stronger than many female MC's I've read lately.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE DARK WIFE by Sarah Diemer. Good book, though I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think I should have loved it more than I did.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Paper Towns by John Green. I've read L4A, so it'll be interesting to see which one I prefer (based on current thinking in this thread that the first John Green you read is the one you like the most).

Apologue

Pure heart, filthy mind
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE DARK WIFE by Sarah Diemer. Good book, though I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think I should have loved it more than I did.

I read that book not too long ago and was unimpressed. I loved the premise, but I didn't feel like the writing was strong enough to carry it. I wanted more depth in the characters, and the story arc didn't quite work for me either.

Speaking of queer YA, I just finished The Miseducation of Cameron Post. It exceeded my expectations by far. The writing was fantastically descriptive and a flawless representation of the setting. Perhaps it is because I was a teenager around the same time as the MC, but I could very closely identify with everything she was going through. It was painful and beautiful to read it and revisit that part of my life.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
I read that book not too long ago and was unimpressed. I loved the premise, but I didn't feel like the writing was strong enough to carry it. I wanted more depth in the characters, and the story arc didn't quite work for me either.

Speaking of queer YA, I just finished The Miseducation of Cameron Post. It exceeded my expectations by far. The writing was fantastically descriptive and a flawless representation of the setting. Perhaps it is because I was a teenager around the same time as the MC, but I could very closely identify with everything she was going through. It was painful and beautiful to read it and revisit that part of my life.

I'm inclined to agree with you. The premise sounded so promising, but the execution was distinctly lacking in terms of plot and characterization, and I didn't like the climax and the ending at all. It's still hard to put into words what I didn't like because I feel there wasn't much/wasn't enough development of plot and characters.

I've been meaning to pick up THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST for a while now. I've been hearing nothing but good things about this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, thanks for the feedback on Scarlet, I'm going to try and pick it up!
I loved the Knife of Never Letting Go. I've been trying to track down The Ask and the Answer but no bookstores around me have it (but they have the third one?) gah. I'll have to special order it which is fine since I don't have the $ anyways to buy it right now.

I'm trying to get through Jellicoe Road right now. I'm surprised by how hard it is for me to get into this book.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Paper Towns by John Green. I've read L4A, so it'll be interesting to see which one I prefer (based on current thinking in this thread that the first John Green you read is the one you like the most).

I'll agree with that. Looking for Alaska was my first and definitely my favorite of his. I basically skimmed everything after Margo disappears in Paper Towns. I could barely get into Will Grayson, Will Grayson and much preferred David Levithan's chapters. I have stopped reading The Fault in Our Stars at chapter 4. I'll probably go back to it at some point but it's not working for me right now.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'll agree with that. Looking for Alaska was my first and definitely my favorite of his. I basically skimmed everything after Margo disappears in Paper Towns. I could barely get into Will Grayson, Will Grayson and much preferred David Levithan's chapters. I have stopped reading The Fault in Our Stars at chapter 4. I'll probably go back to it at some point but it's not working for me right now.

The Rule of John Green is definitely true. My first was Paper Towns and I adore it. I was 'meh' on Looking for Alaska (I'm probably the only one on earth -- I need to reread it though, I don't really remember it). I couldn't get into An Abundance of Katherines. I preferred David Levithan's chapters in WG, WG (but I was a D-Lev fan for like five years before I ever read JG). But I really, really enjoyed TFIOS. Cancer fascinates me, also the Amsterdam stuff was great. I love books that go to Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.