zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
WTG with the words, Antonin and Junely! Also, belated welcome, Rawiya.

Finally let myself ditch a short story that was just sinking ever more slowly into the tar pit of total stupidity, and immediately got whacked with a new idea out of the blue. That seems to have both the momentum and potential that the other one lacked, so just going with it for now. :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm started prewriting work on my new project that I'll be starting in April for CampNaNo. I've actually gotten a lot of good character development done, so I'm pretty excited to get writing.

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
Completed first draft of novel at 155,000 words. Hoping to have revisions done over the next 3 months.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'm started prewriting work on my new project that I'll be starting in April for CampNaNo. I've actually gotten a lot of good character development done, so I'm pretty excited to get writing.
Good luck! I'm debating doing Camp Nano, but it feels a little overwhelming :(

Completed first draft of novel at 155,000 words. Hoping to have revisions done over the next 3 months.
*Cheers!*

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Congrats! That's a lot of words. :)

Thank you! The sad thing is it takes me just about exactly halfway through my original outline, but I found an intermediate climax and terminus to turn it into a duology :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm debating doing Camp Nano, but it feels a little overwhelming :(

*Cheers!*

Well the beauty of Camp is that you don't have to do 50,000 words for a novel if you don't want to. You set your own goals and can work on anything. 25,000 words, or 10 short stories or whatever.

Join us! :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Story that has been bouncing around in my head is almost complete. Had some good ideas from the beta readers and I made a bit more adjustments. Another pass through and I'll be ready to submit it. Now as for story #4 that I want to submit this month...

Oh and congratulations on everyone's word counts!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Telergic - congrats on finishing! I couldn't write that long of a work if I tried.

While I haven't been very good on working on the MS, I DID rewrite a query for my last one...

RSwordsman

Registered
Reaction score
Slow going for me, but quicker going than I'm used to. Things are actually happening! lol. I'm at about 33k+ words into the novel in my sig (my first one at that! :O), with a ton still to do. So my length is looking good.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
33k is awesome progress, RSwordsman! Keep on going! :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I've cut about 10,000 words from my epic fantasy, and I'm roughly 1/7th of the way through the book. I don't think I'll cut that many the whole way, as I felt like my writing got a lot tighter in the second half of the novel.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Well the beauty of Camp is that you don't have to do 50,000 words for a novel if you don't want to. You set your own goals and can work on anything. 25,000 words, or 10 short stories or whatever.

Join us! :D
You talked me into it :)

ION, I've gotten through basically all the rough parts of my current wip. The MC and her friends need to finish their current fight and escape the city in ways I already have planned out. With my word count reaching 85k yesterday, I think concluding the story will probably drop me in around the 91k to 92k mark, likely before April comes and Camp starts!

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Just passed 50K words and close to the half way point in my epic/werewolf novel revision, and I'm getting excited about this one again.

What that tells me is that the beginning third will need even more of a revamp next draft.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Yea keep the words going!

Sent in my submission for the Women Destroy Fantasy issue. Story was 6300 words.
Started a new story last night about 300 in and the muse decided I needed a metal smith and a UF noir feel. Will see how this goes as I need to have this one done by the 31. Possibly 5K or so I hope?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Doing note taking for my scifi novel adaption of romeo and juliet. Half way through act 1 scene three. Four more acts to go, once this is done I can go back to my universe building.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Achieved my new year's resolution much earlier than expected, and now have a (terrible but) complete fantasy novel first draft at 91.6k words.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I got around 5000 words over the weekend, in a rather stop-and-go fashion (busy weekend). But I take word count where I can find it. I"m not all that happy with what I have so far; the characters are not breathing yet, and I have made some decisions about world building that necessitate some backing and filling on what I have so far. But it's going okay so far.

Today I'm going to try to get a thousand before going to town for doctor's appointment, grocery shopping, etc. Before my day gets busy, in other words.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the wordage no matter what kind it is.

Just submitted my 4th story for the month. I'm going to try to build it up to 10 but only going to submit 2 new ones for April.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
"Mourning Becomes Me" was a story I originally wrote last January, for the SFF Solstice Swap. That story, which I'd call dark fantasy/slipstream, came in at 9300 words and was, I came to realise, far too underwritten and underdeveloped. Later in the year, I reused a major character in the story (the protag's mother) as a teenage girl in 1979 Melbourne in my story "Spinning Fast" (not SFF at all, and accepted for the punk-themed anthology I wrote it for), so there was material from that story that I could use to redevelop "Mourning" as well.

So, I started a from-scratch beginning-to-end redraft of "Mourning" and I'm now up to 14,000 words. I knew this was a novella in the making, but given that I'm 28% in to the story (as per my Kindle copy of the original version) that looks like it's taking me beyond novella into short-novel length. Oh well, let's get it written, see what I have, edit it later.

I'm now at a point in the story which at least one person who critted the short version found distasteful - something I'd left as hints from a not-entirely-reliable narrator. It's something I don't think I can back away from, however overt I make this particular element, but if there will be a point where readers throw the story at the wall, this will be it.

el el piper

Registered
Reaction score
I am at 100K on my YA SF, which I understand is an acceptable length for the genre. I feel like I could cut out 5k-10k on this pre-query edit though. I have a separate file for deleted segments so that I don't feel like I am discarding forever, and that helps.
Happy counting, all! :)

Physsica

Planning a return trip to earth.
Registered
Reaction score
I am at 100K on my YA SF, which I understand is an acceptable length for the genre. I feel like I could cut out 5k-10k on this pre-query edit though. I have a separate file for deleted segments so that I don't feel like I am discarding forever, and that helps.
Happy counting, all! :)

Way to go! That's a lot of words. And yes. Never ever delete your old stuff. I've regretted that so many times.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote words yesterday. A good amount of them. (Like 3k). Hopefully I can ignore this small cold and write more.

Camp NaNo has been a big help.

I got 45k total, and think the entire work might end up with 55k or 60k AT MOST after editing. Why did I feel the need to write outside of my comfort zone? lol