Super score in simple robbery

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Apparently some thieves managed to get their hands on €50 million worth of precious stones like diamonds by cutting a hole in a fence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21504112
Armed robbers have made off with a "gigantic" haul of diamonds after a rapid raid at Brussels Airport.

Disguised as police, they broke through a fence on Monday evening and broke into the cargo of a Swiss-bound plane to take the gems, estimated to be worth $50m (£32m; 37m euros).

They escaped back through the same hole. Police later found a burned-out vehicle close to the airport.

Police are looking for eight men, a prosecutors' spokeswoman said.

Caroline De Wolf, of the Antwerp World Diamond Centre, estimated the haul at $50m, saying: "What we are talking about is obviously a gigantic sum."

I guess there are always weak points in a security arrangement, and if you can block a plane from leaving it's just a matter of forcing the plane personel to hand over valuables.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't the MST3Ked movie San Francisco International have the same plotline?

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Two fences. One with a lock which they forced, the other one they cut through.

I heard they use armored cars to get the diamonds from downtown Antwerp to the airport but then rely on regular flights departing from regular gates to get them to their destination. Someone know anything about this? Sounds like asking for trouble.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly a professional job - the timing, the tip off, the ease of entry.

Makes the opening scenes of Snatch look downright convoluted.