South Africa, 2010

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Man, it sucks to have to sit here and think, "The officiating was rigged" but I can't see any other reason for the US not to have won 3-2. Seriously.

Still, it was a hell of a comeback and not even a ridiculously bad ref can take THAT away from us. Would have rather had the points, though.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yeah the officiating is a bit...well, any time Terry goes near the Algerian striker, the Algerian falls over (at least once when Terry never even touched him) and they get a free kick.

Terry and Algerian go for the ball. Well, Terry does, Algerian goes for Terry's leg. Yet the ref gives it to Algeria....

ETA: Of course it would help if we could , you know, play.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Of course it would help if we could , you know, play.

Well don't you just want everything:D

ETA: at least we know William and Harry are at the game. How many times are they going to tell us?

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
So we drew again. 0-0 against Algeria. Still...at least I can say we played well. No...wait....oh that's right...we didn't! :rant:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Algeria played well, but still. . .

Considering the talent England has, the game they played was incomprehensible to me. Sloppy passing, not many ideas, and a step behind on almost every play.

If they don't pick up their game they could actually lose to Slovenia.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
That was just awful.
England have rarely played as badly

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
That was just awful.
Liechtenstein have rarely played that badly.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Latest I heard on the news this morning, FIFA will all probability remove the official who cost the US their victory from any future 2010 WC matches.

That's fine but his blown call had better not cost the US a chance to advance to next round

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, living in an Anglo-American household, I'm hoping they both go through, too. The US deserves it. England? Put it this way--my brother texted me during the game to say 'I want to put out my eyes'.

I love England, I always get behind England, but...

I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present! I don't care if they lose as long as they give it their all--like the US did. I couldn't care less if they make up the team from players from Accrington Stanley to Crewe Alex as long as they're excited to be there, want to be there, and give it everything they've got for England.

But (sigh)... fingers crossed for Wednesday.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, living in an Anglo-American household, I'm hoping they both go through, too. The US deserves it. England? Put it this way--my brother texted me during the game to say 'I want to put out my eyes'.

I love England, I always get behind England, but...

I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present! I don't care if they lose as long as they give it their all--like the US did. I couldn't care less if they make up the team from players from Accrington Stanley to Crewe Alex as long as they're excited to be there, want to be there, and give it everything they've got for England.

But (sigh)... fingers crossed for Wednesday.

You said it all. I have no clue why they were so poor. Still as you say we have one more game. But I think if Capello picks the same team and they start off as bad I'll switch over to watch the US. At least the Americans play with pride and passion and want to win. I think the England Algeria game was the worst match so far.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present!
One of the ESPN commentators said he thought it wasn't a case of not caring, but a lack of confidence that caused that.

From my own experience, if you lack confidence, you tend to hang back, to try and make the safe play and keep your shape rather than go after the ball. It invades your mindset and it's hard to change that in the middle of a game.

Why they lacked confidence is another question -- it's not like they were playing Brazil or Spain.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I support North Korea for this endeavour. The determination and ambition they showed with Brazil was more than evoking. It took Maicon's lucky goal to break the deadlock.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Why they lacked confidence is another question -- it's not like they were playing Brazil or Spain.

Papers report this morning the Fabio is the main cause - things like not saying who the team will be till 2 hours before the match, not sure of his tactics, a very aloof managing style (what manager wouldn't at least say 'hi' when he passes a player in the hotel?), being forced to rest for 5 hours a day in their rooms making them stir crazy with boredom etc.

*sigh* There's always some excuse...but if that's true - this is the English press we're talking about - it goes a way to explain the lacklustre performances

ETA: Upon further reading, it appears Rooney being a prima donna isn't helping, she said tactfully.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
ETA: Upon further reading, it appears Rooney being a prima donna isn't helping, she said tactfully.
Meanwhile, the French, who have been playing even worse, sent Anelka packing for obscene comments made during an argument with the French coach.

Ah, the majesty of sport.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Papers report this morning the Fabio is the main cause - things like not saying who the team will be till 2 hours before the match, not sure of his tactics, a very aloof managing style (what manager wouldn't at least say 'hi' when he passes a player in the hotel?), being forced to rest for 5 hours a day in their rooms making them stir crazy with boredom etc.

2006: it's all Sven's fault
2008: it's all McLaren's fault
2010: it's all Fabio's fault

I'm beginning to detect a pattern...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not that the Italians are doing much better

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Good game Ivory Coast - Brazil.

But Keita is a better actor than many Hollywood stars combined. Something of a Materazzi 2010. Sending off Kaka for not even touching the guy and allowing a handballed goal?

Maradona, Henry, Luis Fabiano...Who's next?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Zidane landed a pretty good headbutt on Materazzi, so it's not comparable. But the king of fabrications is Rivaldo, and he's Brazilian.