Should I use satirical websites to build a platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesA

Registered
Reaction score
While trying to think of how to build a platform for my WIP, I remembered that a few years ago I wrote some short pieces for two satirical news sites, just for fun, not taking it nearly as seriously as I've taken the short stories I've written or the novel I'm working on now. One of those sites has a way to track the number of views a piece gets, which was over a thousand for the two that I posted there combined. That's a tiny number, and I don't know whether anyone read all the way through either of them, but if I wrote these things once or twice a week, could that help me get positive attention for my WIP? Both sites let me include an author bio that links to my own site, and some of the other contributors' author bios mention well-known literary journals, poetry chapbooks, and television production, which surprised me, and also made them seem like good company to be in, even though the sites also include some bad writing.

I haven't put as much effort into this satirical writing as I have into my literary fiction, and I'm not as proud of it, but I can crank one of these satires out in a few hours, while writing a short story takes me months.

Even though these sites have a different kind of writing than my WIP, people in my writing group said my WIP is funny, too, in ways I hadn't thought of, so maybe people who read the satirical pieces could be interested in my WIP if I ever publish it.

Or would writing satire just take time away from my "serious" writing? (I've actually been repressing my urge to write it.)

Also, should I worry about offending any celebrities or politicians? Could that affect my chances of getting published?

I hope this could be a partial alternative to Twitter, which I don't entirely understand.

Thanks for any advice.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Both sites let me include an author bio that links to my own site, and some of the other contributors' author bios mention well-known literary journals, poetry chapbooks, and television production, which surprised me, and also made them seem like good company to be in, even though the sites also include some bad writing.

If possible, I think you'd be better building your platform in the literary genre because that's what you're writing. Do you have the option to submit work to these literary journals?

If you were getting a sufficient gain from the satire posts I'd say go for it regardless of what genre you write, but a thousand combined hits over a few years is quite low when each post takes a few hours.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the good literary journals that I know of only accept short stories from unknown writers: they won't consider novel excerpts unless they come from established authors.

CharlesA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Old Hack. I would have to modify them so they would stand alone as short stories. Should I wait to tell the editors they are excerpts until after they have been accepted?

My friend got some excerpts published, and she's unknown as a writer (though well known as an organizer in a few writers' organizations, and through her blog, an example I will try to follow). Although she's been in at least one paying journal that I know of, I'm not sure if that's where her excerpts appeared.

Thanks EMaree. My satire posts got almost all their hits in their first week, and were about current events, so the idea was that if I wrote one every week, I would continue getting hits, but they would probably not be from repeat readers, so the readers would probably not go to my site, so I guess it wouldn't be a good use of time.

I'm also planning some blog posts about subjects related to my WIP.

Thanks again.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Old Hack. I would have to modify them so they would stand alone as short stories. Should I wait to tell the editors they are excerpts until after they have been accepted?

There's a huge difference between a novel excerpt and a short story, especially in literary fiction. You can't just "modify" the former to turn it into the latter: I think it would be easier and more successful to just write a new story.

And no, you shouldn't wait. You need to be upfront about stuff.

My friend got some excerpts published, and she's unknown as a writer (though well known as an organizer in a few writers' organizations, and through her blog, an example I will try to follow). Although she's been in at least one paying journal that I know of, I'm not sure if that's where her excerpts appeared.

Excellent! Perhaps you should ask her for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.