Politico - Dems Sketch Obama Staff, Cabinet

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
According to Politico.com, sources close to Obama have quite specific ideas about his most likely choices for a wide array of top jobs. A quick review makes it appear the 'Change' mantra may be just that. There are a fair number of Republicans on the list as well.
The list is heavy on campaign heavyweights and Washington insiders, many of them from the administration of President Bill Clinton.
Some of the familiar names on the list:

Sen. Tom Daschle
Al Gore
Sen. Chuck Hagel (Defense Secretary, Rob :D)
Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano
New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson
Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.)
Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.)
Caroline Kennedy
Robert Rubin
Paul Volcker
Howard Dean
Former New Jersey Gov. Tom Kean
Sen. Olympia Snowe
Sen. Gary Hart
William Bratton
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.
Sen. Max Cleland
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
Rep. Richard Gephardt

The article matches the names up with some possible job titles.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a similar list at GOP headquarters; seriously, you'd hope these people have thought about those appointments by this stage of the game.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a similar list at GOP headquarters; seriously, you'd hope these people have thought about those appointments by this stage of the game.

I agree with you, except that John McCain sure doesn't seem to have done this with his VP nominee.

I recall Obama indicating a while back that he might keep Robert Gates on as Defense Secretary, but haven't heard anything like that for a while. Colin Powell would certainly seem on that short list, unless he's indicated he wouldn't accept.

caw

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
One I thought was interesting....

She went to Pa or Ohio and did some work for O on the topc of the budget. The funny thing is that Arizona is in bad shape and things are being slashed as there is no money for them. Seems kind of funny that she could not keep things in order here and is out telling how others should. Sigh....

IMHO it makes one shake their head.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The aspect of "change" anticipated has at least as much to do with an alteration in the way decision-making is approached and legislation proposed and actions taken as it does with the simple matter of names to be considered for office. One absolutely striking thing about that list is that nowhere on it do you see the likes of Alberto Gonzales and Harriet Miers and Paul Wolfowitz and other likewise incompetent inner circle friends and cronies, which formed the core of the outgoing Administriation when it came in.

caw

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wait... Arnie? The Governator as Secretary of Energy?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
One I thought was interesting....

She went to Pa or Ohio and did some work for O on the topc of the budget. The funny thing is that Arizona is in bad shape and things are being slashed as there is no money for them. Seems kind of funny that she could not keep things in order here and is out telling how others should. Sigh....

IMHO it makes one shake their head.
I would have been a lot happier to see Judge Andrew Napolitano on the list. (He wrote The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land (one of the few books praised by both Hannity and Colmes)and A Nation of Sheep)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I'm surprised in that he's a republican, but I was under the impression he was doing a surprisingly good job as governor. Anybody familiar with CA politics got an opinion on this?

He's POd a lot of people in the Republican Party by cuddling up bigtime to the Democratic-led legislature, and he's most certainly not very far to the right on many things, including social issues like gay rights and abortion. Plus, his wife is a nationally prominent Democrat (Maria Shriver).

caw