• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Need help with sense of smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if this is where the theory of auras came from.

I think it must do. How old were you before you found out that synesthesia is not common?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I think it must do. How old were you before you found out that synesthesia is not common?
I don't remember for sure, but I was probably in my mid-teens. I remember talking with a friend (when I was sixteen) about how words and letters, etc., had colors. She got excited and said it was the same for her. I was intrigued that someone else saw things the same way, so I must have figured out it was rare sometime earlier. I didn't learn it had a name until I was in my early twenties, when I read a magazine article about synesthesia.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Wolf and Iron by Gordon R. Dickson. It's a post-apocalyptic novel about a man who walk across the country, trying to find his brother's ranch in Montana. He encounters and befriends a lone wolf and the author clearly did a TON of research to support the wolf's actions and interactions with humans.

Sounds like it was based on... ah, hell, now I can't find the article I want, but there was a 'problem wolf' in eastern Montana in the late 1800s that behaved very much like a dog, but with personal space issues (that wants to be social but shies from being touched). This otherwise-loner wolf kept two 'pet' coyotes as lookouts. He followed the bounty hunter around for months before finally being caught. It's real easy to see, from the the descriptions written at the time, how easily animals like this one could become domesticated.

And I "see" music. Different notes are different colors, and different instruments produce different patterns.

Oh, kinda like the 'visualizations' some music players do, only more specific. Neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.