• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cascade Literary Agency (Jewelann Cone)

kimberlyFDR

Working On The Publishing Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have information about Cascade Literary Agency (Jewelann Cone)? I queried today, at the suggestion of a friend who had done prior query rounds in the paranormal genre. The agent was listed as having made a sale in the genre on January 26, 2012. My query turned into a full request within 3 hours!

I should have done more extensive research on what publishers the agency sales were to, rather than just basing it on sales in general and the suggestion of a friend, but hindsight and all that. After more thorough research, the author and sales list on the agency's site mostly reflects erotica publishers that don't need an agent (Like Loose ID, but I saw some from TOR Romance, too) and nothing really in the non-erotic market. I'm not sure if she's just getting into the non-erotic market and that's why her client list isn't reflective of the genre or not. Just wondering if anyone knows more about Ms. Cone and Cascade.

The full request doesn't mean it will lead anywhere, but I like to be prepared. I've got emails in to a few of her clients to try and get a feel of the agency and the agent/client relationship, too, but the more information I can gather, the better.

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
Did you ever find out anything about this agency? I received an email for a partial submission and I can't find much on her. On P&E she is neither recommended nor not recommended. I've entered her name on the search on her too, but every link pulls up a list of threads so I'm having trouble finding any information. Thanks.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Hmm. Yeah I'm at a loss. Under their submission guidelines is says the are interested in several genre's including YA and New Adult, not just eroctic romance.
Her about page talks more about jewelry rather than her background in the industry, which only seems to be an editor with a small press.

I'm not sure there is enough to go on here...

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
She sold a time-travel romance series to Crimson Romance, so she doesn't just rep erotic romance. However, Crimson takes unagented subs and doesn't pay advances so you don't need an agent to sub to them.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
To be fair and play Devil's Advocate here: writers can benefit from enlisting an agent, even when an e-pub doesn't pay advances and/or doesn't require agent intervention. I technically didn't need an agent, but I made certain to enlist one. She worked very hard to iron out some contract stuff that I couldn't have handled on my own. Of course, my agent has been around for decades, is a major player in several genre markets, and knows where all the bodies are buried.

Cone has some very good clients and she is a member of many romance writers' organizations. It may be that she's able to push favorable contracts for her writers, unlike some newer romance/e-pub only agents.

I'd still like a little more upfront info about her publishing and agenting background.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Filigree, I agree that an agent has much more worth than just submitting to publishers. :) I still have hopes of landing one eventually!

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they appear to be in the AAR, so... that's good?

For the record, Jewelann Cone is NOT a member of AAR.

Her website states:

"Cascade Literary Agency adheres to the guidelines of the AAR (Association of Authors’ Representatives) and does not charge reading or evaluation fees. Furthermore, the agency collects the standard fees of 15% only upon a sale."

But she is not listed on the AAR website as a member.

AlanaHarbison

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new on Cascade Literary/Jewelann Cole???

I received a full manuscript request from Jewelann at Cascade, so decided to do a little more research on her and the agency. The only info I could find was not recent. Does anyone know anything new about them? Anything about her client list or published work???

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked this thread here?

Mods, port at will. *ties down china and furniture*

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanaHarbison

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have. Unfortunately though, that is the only info I can find on her. Not very conclusive, or helpful for that matter.
Thanks anyway =)

AmberS

Baby author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoramberlin.com
I will post a quick note because she is my agent. Jewelann has repped me on a few contracts now with reputable epubs who do take unagented submissions (Loose Id and Carina Press). We are finally read to submit to the bigger ones, but that "finally" is directed at me because she didn't have anything from me that was right to sub until now (both length and type).

I decided to sign with her because she had verifiable sales with Kensington and Berkley, both of whom are my goal publishers. That information is public but maybe not listed anywhere clearly, so you can ask her if you're talking to her about representation or you can ask me and I'll tell you the ones I know about. She's very small, so I would completely understand if someone chose to pass and wait for someone bigger. But her sales are legit and repeatable so that was good enough for me.

EmilyBethShore

Registered
Reaction score
Request

I have a request for a full book from them. I just recently got out of a really bad contract with a production agency that defined themselves as a literary agent and 2 of my books were epublished which is not the goal I had for them so thanks for all the helpful info. It sounds like this agency is small but is trying to develop themselves a bit more from everything I've seen, but I'm not certain if they would be a right fit for me.

Fanatic_Dreamer

Daydreaming Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Jewelann and I have corresponded, she seems like a nice person.

She's looking at my full currently and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
I just queried Jewelann and recieved this reply:

Thank you for querying Cascade Literary Agency. Unfortunately the agency is closed. I wish you the best of luck in finding a wonderful home for your manuscript. Best, Jewelann Cone

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I just queried Jewelann and recieved this reply:

Thank you for querying Cascade Literary Agency. Unfortunately the agency is closed. I wish you the best of luck in finding a wonderful home for your manuscript. Best, Jewelann Cone

Right you are. I checked their submission page http://cascadeliteraryagency.com/submissions.html, which is still functional, but their home page http://cascadeliteraryagency.com/index.html seems to indicate that Cascade is defunct.