question about editing quotes from a source

jazziz1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassiehartwriter.com
Hi all. It's been a very long time since I've checked in here...I'm happy to see the forums are still around!

I have a question about editing quoted material from an interview source. If an interviewee's comments could be changed ever-so-slightly to make a little more sense, is it ok/ethical to do so? I'm working on an advertorial (my first project of this nature, actually) in a Q & A format, and while most of the subject's answers are presented clearly--the interview was done via email--a few spots could use a little clean up. A more concrete example:

Original quote: As a person and community member, giving to these organizations is important to help those less fortunate or who need a helping hand to get back on their feet.

How I'd like to revise it: Giving to these organizations is an important way to help those who are less fortunate, or who need a helping hand...

I know I should technically place [is], [an], and [who are] like so, but that makes the text appear messy. Thoughts/advice? Thanks in advance!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only editing I ever do to a direct quote is remove an 'er", an "um", etc.

How a person says something is part of who they are.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. You don't edit quotes, because if you do they're not quotes any more.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part I agree, but sometimes you encounter the quotes that make no sense without some heavy editing, e.g. when the language you need to quote in isn't the speaker's native language.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But then you're not quoting them: you're providing a translation of the quote, and you have to make that clear.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't "clean up" quotes. If it's really hard to understand, you can paraphrase parts of it, but the paraphrase does not go into quotation marks. You can also put extra words in brackets, to help clarify what is in quotes:

So-and so said it's important to give to those organizations, "to help those less fortunate or [those] who need a helping hand to get back on their feet."

That really is a clunky quote, though.