Former Navy SEAL/author fatally shot at gun-range by the PTSD survivor he was trying to help

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I was only speaking about the fact that the shooter was allowed on a gun range when he was known to be suffering from an emotional issue that is often violent.
PTSD sufferers aren't *often* violent. Specific sufferers are occasionally violent. I've known a lot (far too many) people with PTSD, and none of them were anymore likely to be violent than anyone else. It's a possible symptom, which many people don't have. People shouldn't have their rights taken away simply because they have a mental health diagnosis which can in some cases cause certain behaviors.

But somehow I'm not surprised that this story is being used as a platform for discrimination against the mentally ill.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
But somehow I'm not surprised that this story is being used as a platform for discrimination against the mentally ill.

Me either. If only because it is the only way the story works for NRA corporate. (And no, they aren't the only ones.)

Does it also make sense that, just as we shouldn't use a blanket accusation to discriminate against the mentally ill, we also shouldn't assume that what is true of "some" or "many" is also true of this one individual?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
PTSD sufferers aren't *often* violent. Specific sufferers are occasionally violent. I've known a lot (far too many) people with PTSD, and none of them were anymore likely to be violent than anyone else. It's a possible symptom, which many people don't have. People shouldn't have their rights taken away simply because they have a mental health diagnosis which can in some cases cause certain behaviors.

Yes and people with paranoid delusions may or may not have delusions that make them dangerous, but is it worth giving them guns to find out? No amount of personal anecdotes changes the symptoms of the illness. Anger and aggression in combat veterans with PTSD isn't a stereotype, it's a problem.

And I'm not suggesting their "rights" be taken away. I'm suggesting that someone suffering from an illness that makes them emotionally volatile needs to be treated and cleared by a doctor instead of taken to a gun range for "therapy."

ETA: PTSD aside, the gunman had been in a psychiatric hospital twice in the past two months, meaning he wasn't legally allowed to own a firearm. I'm assuming there's a loop hole that allows him to use one recreationally at a range? If so, that's definitely a problem.