Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Lisa, that's funny. Thanks.

(((Mario))) I hate the idea of internships in general -- making people work for free for a a chance to get paid later. It's very unjust, both to the interns and those who cannot afford to work for free.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
OOps, forgot about you, Mario! FWIW {hugs} but hang in there, you haven't had bad news yet, here's hoping it doesn't come.

LKP I don't get that. She loved your MS enough to publish it in trade paperback but not hard cover? But, isn't love love? I didn't realize there were varying 'degrees of love' like "I hardcover love this book" or "I trade paperback love this book"
*scratches head* that's rough AND makes no sense to me

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Well, I doubt its about degrees of love and more about marketing/editorial board concerns. Because a book that might sell well in trade paperback, is perhaps not the same book that will do well as a hardcover. Different markets, different audiences. For real, there's all kind of weird statistics on who buys which kind of books.

And it's real. Unless it's a friend's book, I don't buy hardcovers. I'm not their market for that.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
{{{To all}}} Another day of an empty inbox.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Gah is this pit worthy news? My f@cebook is down grrrrr!! It says the account's unavailable due to server maintenance....but my friend can get into HER f@cebook! I know this doesn't have anything to do with writing, but it IS shitty /grumble

Last edited:

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I have had no useful feedback at all from any of the rejections for the novel.

Same here. Just got a form rejection today that praised it but passed. Talk about mixed signals.

But, if you want to look at it positively (I'm not entirely sure I do yet...think I'm gonna wallow for a bit first), maybe it's that your novel has no obvious weaknesses. Maybe it's coming down to, "I admire it, but I'm just not in love enough to pour my heart and soul into selling it."

I'm feeling pretty down today. I keep thinking: you know, I could just bow out of this rat race and go with a small press. I know my book is good, and I've got a small press in mind who specializes in the genre and will certainly take it. But the book is commercial enough that I think it'd do well with a big pub, as have a few similar titles recently. And I'm serious about this--I don't just want to see this book in print. I want an agent to help me launch a career.

Okay. Pity party over. I've only been querying two months, I've barely sent two dozen queries--most perilously close to the holidays--and half have yet to respond. I have nothing to complain about, right? It's just hard to look at friends and acquaintances who breezed through the process and not feel a stab of envy. Oh, weak heart.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{To all}}} Another day of an empty inbox.
Me too.

The Pit encompasses all suckitude.
Oh, yes. And many, many levels as well.

((LZ))

People breezed through the process? That seems ... unlikely. Most published folks I know that finally got published struggled in one sense.

There are the St3ph3n!3 M3y3rs of the world. Still, they're few and far between. Feel free to complain here, though. We get it. :)

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Red WTF??? Seeming FRESHER down here? that's it, let's protest! No fresh breeze shall mar our beloved stinky pit!

{leah} you're in the right place. One, we welcome pity parties and complaints and two we also have weak hearts and have watched others squee to the 'finish line' leaving us behind in the dust. Pit question of the day- Is it 'really' because we're weak that we're envious or is it human nature?

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Of course it's human nature. It's hard enough when someone you like succeeds at something you're failing at. When someone you dislike does...ouch.

And you know, even people who've sold a book and done pretty well feel envious of the people who are cashing in on substantial book deals.

It's impossible to feel 100% positive about others' successes in your own field. You have to try to put on a good face, but there's nothing unnatural about feeling totally cheated in the bottom of your heart.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
See, Red, this is why I like you :D I guess it's also human nature to exalt one's accomplishments but sometimes (brutal honestly alert) I just wish those who have attained a measure of success would be more empathetic before they bleat on and on and ON about their great news (or complain about it in some cases) There, I said it!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh envy, thy green eyed monster! I think it is both - envy IS human nature.

And yes, the pit does seem - dare I say it - sunnier??? Throw some mud on that skylight please.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Is this the place where self-doubt, misery, and envy are allowed free rein? If so, maybe I'll hang out here awhile, since I'm experiencing various degrees of all three. I'm agented but unpubbed (on sub for more than 6 months, losing hope every day, and currently out of love with my WIP) and staying out of Hell right now because I don't want to rain on other people's parades. But a part of me is giving the primal scream of "Why can't just one thing I want come quickly, easily, and with a minimum of anxiety,frustration, and stress?":rant:

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
You find it sunny down here, Snappy? *flings poo at skylight* there! Sorry, couldn't find any mud, but hell hound poo is in abundance!

Scribe, if you want a place where you can feel free to express your self-doubt, misery and envy, this is the place. Hello and welcome! Many of us are in the same boat as you and many are also in a crappier boat - unpubbed, unagented or de-agented

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, soul! Everyone says that landing an agent is like getting a foot in the door--a good thing, in other words. But it's easy to forget that when the rest of you is freezing out side the door, and your toe is throbbing, turning black, and swollen to the size of a football trying to keep the door open.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Scribe! Bring your self-doubt, misery, and envy. We appreciate it all.
Thanks, soul! Everyone says that landing an agent is like getting a foot in the door--a good thing, in other words. But it's easy to forget that when the rest of you is freezing out side the door, and your toe is throbbing, turning black, and swollen to the size of a football trying to keep the door open.
And then the agent kicks your foot and slams the door in your face. :rolleyes: (Which I very much hope doesn't happen to you like it did to some of us.)

If it's sunshiny down here, it must be because I haven't popped in since the server change. I'm like Pigpen, but instead of a cloud of dust following me about, it's a storm cloud of gloom.

See, there's more despair around here already.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Soul, Ink, thank you much better. I'll take my gloom and doom. In fact, someone dared to open the shade on my office window this morning and light is coming through! *Gets up to close shade* Ok, better now.

Scribe, welcome! I'm new to the Pit - only a few weeks old, but I can say with certainty that all forms of misery are welcome.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Ink (pigpen) and Snappy (the window shade closer):roll:
As is the norm, I second Ink. Believe it or not, Scribe, you're a step up with having an agent - as crappy as it still is when you get R after R. Many of us got the ole heave ho from ex-agents

But yes, bring your misery, poo and maggots. It's all welcome down here ;)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
PIT!!! My inbox is NOT empty and NOT an R! Got a partial request! Funny part, I complained to my co-writer about getting form Rs on our 13th version query and brandspanking new revised first chapter.

I don't want to get too excited, but THRILLED to see some movement again. Especially, since we've revised the heck out of this MS.

At the risk of hellhound poop -->:hooray:

Status
Not open for further replies.