"absolutewrite.com is not responding due to a long running script"

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
AW keeps freezing up on me, and then I get this message at the bottom of the page; "absolutewrite.com is not responding due to a long running script". It can take a few minutes for this message to pop up, and in the meantime the page is frozen (though I can do other things on my computer). The message gives me the option to "stop script", and if I click on that the page responds straight away.

Anyone know what this is and what it means - and how to stop it happening? It only seems to happen on AW and has just started in the last few days.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
If you haven't restarted your browser yet, try that. That message is often associated with a plugin run amok, at least on the Mac.

GL. :)

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I did close my internet browser and re-open it again, but it just keeps doing it.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Still not sure if you're on Windows or Mac. My advice for Windows is worthless, so please keep that in mind.

But, in your shoes I would try rebooting my machine entire. In my experience, a runaway script is almost always about a plugin on the user's end, rather than the server's. It *can* be a poorly written Flash ad or some other thing that is, indeed, on the server side, but I've never encountered that here.

If rebooting doesn't help, try deactivating your Flash plugin. Other problems could be a poorly written browser extension, or one that is simply out of date.

GL!

Sedjet

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I should have said I'm on Windows. I have shut down my computer in between cases of this happening, so I guess that hasn't fixed it.
I'll try deactivating my Flash plugin, thanks again.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Have you tried reading these forums with a different browser? That's long been my go-to solution in this situation.

But, I am still convinced it's something on your end—not that you're doing something wrong, but rather something in your system has gone wonky.

I forget how Safe Mode works in Windows, but you could try booting into Safe Mode and visiting the site. If you get no errors, you can know for sure that it's something that's loading up on your end.

If that's the case, definitely look at any browser extensions you've installed. Deactivate anything you don't rely on and see what happens.

Perhaps someone with Windows experience can step in with better advice than mine!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
This is a pretty well known Windows issue with add-ons. Try removing any toolbars you don't use or have added recently. Then clear your cache, close your browser, and bring it back up. If that doesn't help, you might want to check with microsoft support for any newer issues.

hth

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
AW keeps freezing up on me, and then I get this message at the bottom of the page; "absolutewrite.com is not responding due to a long running script". It can take a few minutes for this message to pop up, and in the meantime the page is frozen (though I can do other things on my computer). The message gives me the option to "stop script", and if I click on that the page responds straight away.

Anyone know what this is and what it means - and how to stop it happening? It only seems to happen on AW and has just started in the last few days.

It's due to ill-mannered javascript. Javascript is basically a series of commands that a website sends to your browser. It actually runs on your system, like a mini-program within the webpage.

This very issue is why I started using NoScript in the first place -- to block scripts that took forever to run and for practical purposes locked up my browser.

Here on AW the culprit is probably the script from GoogleAnalytics.com, which has always run like a pig, and possibly the one from GoogleSyndication.com, which is also frequently a slug. Google may have tweaked 'em recently which would make them suddenly be more of a problem. (They never make things better. Well, except for Google.) Viglink.com has also had the issue. If you install NoScript you can control them individually.

[I also have them blocked in HOSTS for the same reason, but that doesn't always stop the scripts.]

Last edited: