Women in Horror Month, Feb. 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone interested in participating in Women in Horror Month? Last year a bunch of us posted on our blogs on a variety of topics related to women in horror. I'm keen to do it again and wondered who else would be interested.
Guys are welcome to join in the fun, posting on their fave female horror writers, books, short stories, films, characters, reviews, etc. Just needs to have a 'woman in horror' focus. If you'd like to participate, but don't have a blog, I'd bet we could hook you up as a guest blogger with one of the participants

I'd like to start with a list of people who'd like to contribute, so leave a comment indicating your interest. Once I've got a good list we can discuss more what exactly we want to do.

The List:

dolores haze
Rhoda Nightingale
Foinah
BigWords
Seun
Shara
Jcomp
soapdish
meowzbark
crunchyblanket
phineas12gauge
AbielleRose
SelmaW
BriMaresh

The posts:

Women in Horror Month: The Official Blurb - dolores haze
Feed Me. Please. (Women in Horror, I mean You!) - soapdish
The Call of the Grotesque - Rhoda Nightingale
Women in Horror: Introduction - Shara
The Art of the Cover - dolores haze
Redefining the Horror Heroine: Buffy - Shara
Book review: Anna Dressed in Blood - soapdish
Women in Horror Month: Kate Lockley - SelmaW
Female Characters in Horror Film and Fiction: Victims or Survivors? - seun/dolores haze
The Walking Dead's Andrea, and Discrepancies in Portrayal - crunchyblanket
Women in Horror Month: Links of Love #1 - dolores haze
The All-Female Horror Cast, Part 1: 'Susperia' and 'The Craft.' - Rhoda Nightingale
13 Important Female Characters in Horror - BriMaresh
Kick-Ass Horror Heroines: Alice of Resident Evil - Shara
Love and Horror: Thoughts on the Gothic Romance Novel - dolores haze
Book Review: Feed by Mira Grant - soapdish
Horror for Middle Graders - BriMaresh
The Long Reach of Mary Shelley: A Guest Post by Dale Long - Dale Long/dolores haze
An Interesting Mistake - BriMaresh
Judge it By Its Cover - soapdish
Women in Horror #3: Ripley - Shara
Celebrating Women in Horror: Links of Love #2 - dolores haze
Stacey Graham: The Lighter Side of Horror - Stacey Graham/dolores haze
Celebrating Women in Horror: Short Fiction - dolores haze
Women in Horror #4: Sarah Connor - Shara
The All Female Horror cast, Part 2 - Rhoda Nightingale
Book Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff - soapdish

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! :)

Wanna get my reading list ready early this year, so I can be better prepared than I was last time.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to participate, too. I did so last year, and did a series of blog posts paying homage to various female horror writers.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... it's been a year. I'm in.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
Added ye, soaps.

We are now eight. Should we top the list at ten so it doesn't get too unwieldy? Or twelve? Last year I did a blog post linking to everyone elses. It took a bit of work to collect them all.

Thoughts?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If we get more people, maybe some people could team up. :Shrug: Post on ONE person's blog, but someone(s) would essentially be a guest? If the "guest" had a blog, their post could say "I'm guest blogging at XYZ blog" with a link. They could (if they wanted to) decide on a theme/discussion point to hit--get multiple discussions of the same thing in one post. Easier to link to. But still inclusive of many people?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question. I do remember that list and how awesome it was, and YOU are, dolores, for putting it together.

What about getting a headcount of who all actually has their own blog? Because I know you said some folks might be guest-blogging. To see how many actual links you'd need.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I think everyone so far has a blog, Rhoda. Also, check your reps, girl.

Yeah, soaps, I think we could double up the way you suggest.

I think, once signup is complete, I'll start a new thread in which all the links will be collected, so it's easy for me and others to do a link round-up as well as find and access all the posts.

Once again, if you want to participate, but you don't have a blog - we'll be able to work it out.

Also, new horror peeps? You are totally invited to join us. Don't be shy, now. *grin*

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
We've got a good list now. Anyone want to start discussing ideas?

I've got a few things planned:

1. Interview with a female writer. Her current book isn't being marketed as horror, but the horror elements are definitely there. She's an AW'er, too. Bonus!

2. I'm gonna do a first ever read and my reactions to The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Strange that I've never read it, 'cos feminist horror is very much my thing.

3. My husband is an afficianado of international horror, and he is going to contribute a list of his favorite international horror actresses. The specific topic is 'outstanding performances by women in extremely challenging roles.' Compiling the list was fascinating, and we discovered there were a few more lists that we could work on in the future. My catholic boy hubby seems to have a thing for nun horror, lol.

Another list was rape revenge films. I had a nightmare the other night in which I was executing rapists with a bullet to the backs of their heads. There's been so many horrific rape stories in the news recently that I'm feeling ragey and powerless. I don't think I'm going to tackle this one this month. I have a hard time watching these films, personally, and I'm feeling a little too vengeful for comfort. If anyone wants to run with this topic, go for it.

4. If I have time I'm going to review a horror novel written by a female horror writer.

5. Other posts will be link round-ups of your posts.

What are y'all thinking about? Maybe nattering a bit could spur some ideas for us all.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
2. I'm gonna do a first ever read and my reactions to The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Strange that I've never read it, 'cos feminist horror is very much my thing.
Our friendship is hanging by a thread until you do this. You realize that, right?

What are y'all thinking about? Maybe nattering a bit could spur some ideas for us all.
I don't think I can weigh in on the rape thing. I always trip on my words.

I was thinking that I'd do something on the Deep Cuts anthology. But it doesn't even come out until February. There's as least one AWer in it. And it's a HE. :D I may go chat him up and see what he has to say about the antho.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
2. I was just talking about "The Yellow Wallpaper" with one of my workshoppers this week. She hasn't read it yet either. Honestly, I didn't even know it was considered a "feminist" story until she mentioned that--for me, it was always a cool little spiraling-into-insanity story, with a female lead, by a female author. Very curious to see your take on it.

3. Yeah, I'm not gonna weigh in on the rape thing either, although I looooove revenge stories in general. Since you're talking about movies though, the one thing on my list so far is a side-by-side comparison of director Mary Harron's two biggest (only?) films: American Psycho and The Moth Diaries. One features a man doing very bad things and possibly losing his grip on reality. The other features a teenage girl witnessing very bad things and possibly losing her grip on reality. My plan is to talk about themes and the role that gender plays in horror.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
1) On the non-fiction side, I've always loved books that showcase women serial killers.

2) Women villains in books/movies.

I've never heard of The Yellow Wallpaper. Need to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.