Resurrecting The Dead--the All New Horror Hounds Weekend Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jest pokin' me noggin in to say "Howdy!" to y'all! *waves*

Mistress, I am writing this week, but it's more of a sci-fi offering. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, though, I have to admit. :D Still, 600 words on it so far.

Oh, and I got my rejection on Bad Trip. I sniffled for about thirty seconds and sent it out to another market. Fingers crossed!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sci-fi? that can be horror... in fact, two of my favorite movies are both. :D

Please, tell me one of those is Aliens. *puts on puppy dog eyes*

:D

I hereby cop to having a ginormous crush on Michael Biehn in that and Terminator, so that *may* be a factor.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if I make it three of my favorite films, then yes... cause I prefer the original, though the sequel is admittedly very, very good. (But I'd take any Ridley Scott film over any James "it should go boom" Cameron anyday. :D)

Though, I also confess to admiring Biehn's work. Which he doesn't get enough of, in my opinion.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though as has been demonstrated before, I'm a sucker for pretty eyes, so if you give me that look long enough, I could be tempted to switch Alien for Aliens

:D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I now have a ginormous crush on you, Boston. :D

I completely agree on all counts. Okay, no, I still put Aliens ahead of the original, sorry. Though I liked Tom Skerrit a lot in that one.

ETA: :roll:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what are the other favorites? I need to do research! :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well John Carpenter's The Thing still creeps me out every time I watch it, and it's most definitely sci-fi, too.

A lot of the good dark sci-fi has horror elements to it. I also enjoyed Event Horizon with Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne. It would have been a good B movie without them, but they elevated it to my favorites list.

Another one that comes to mind is Dark City (mainly bcs the soundtrack is playing in my headphones at the moment) which is mostly sci-fi but has some horror-esque moments and themes.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, The Thing! And I've only seen parts of Event Horizon, so I should re-watch that anyhoo. Never heard of Dark City...I'll have to check it out.

Thanks, Boston! You da man!

*hides sledgehammer behind back* :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
there's a slew of them out there, and honestly I may not be the best critic bcs my main objective is that a movie be fun.

For example, Pitch Black is sci-fi/horror, and a fun film but certainly not going to make anyone's top ten list. (Though Riddick makes my top list of favorite movie characters... too bad the film sequel sucked. The animated sequel was pretty good though...)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet, boston, thanks! I *think* I've seen Pitch Black before, but I'm not sure. And I've snoozed my way through a couple of Sci-Fi channel horror movies that were...interesting, to say the least.

Plenty of stuff out there for me to take a look at, now that I think of it.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I've snoozed my way through a couple of Sci-Fi channel horror movies that were...interesting, to say the least.

Ugh. *shudders* Just ugh.

Some of them aren't bad, actually, but others are just... I mean, really, the first Anaconda wasn;t bad enough that we had to make not one, but two sequels AND have David Hasselhoff star??? What sort of pact with the devil was that all about??? :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they're pretty impressively awful, most of 'em. :D

Oh, and I just remembered another one...saw it the other night on encore...The Running Man. Cheesy one liners, but still. LOL

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com

Mistress, I am writing this week, but it's more of a sci-fi offering. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, though, I have to admit. :D Still, 600 words on it so far.

Oh, and I got my rejection on Bad Trip. I sniffled for about thirty seconds and sent it out to another market. Fingers crossed!
WHAT!
My spirit fingers didn't work? Maybe they are broken....here try this **********
(maybe I just didn't wiggle them hard enough for you last time.) :D

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com

Cranky,

My dear it doesn't have to just horror that you use for output. Always good to hear from you.I also write some sci-fi but it's a secret---don't tell anyone;)20 pushups for you:) good luck on your sub.

Hugs and pushups,

Tigress Tyrant

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score

Keep up the good work Cranky!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
boston, I officially love you, too. So few people are into Event Horizon, which I say is one of the best "don't turn around-it's right behind you-run--it's closer-run faster-OMG IT'S HERE!" movies evah. Plus, it has Sam Neill *swoon*.

I loved Biehn in Terminator and The Abyss. IMO he's a great supporting actor but doesn't quite have the chops as a lead. I say this having recognized a long time ago that I have the chops for amateur theater but definitely not for Broadway. Saved myself years of heartache when I admitted that. Transferred the heartache to writing and querying, but, yanno... :D

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
Since we're talking Movies here...has anyone seen The Decent? It's amazing, caves and mutant people praying on the less weak. I have to say it's one of the better 'scare' factor movies out there...One that I truely was gripping the edge of my seat with anticipation...with the dark lighting and the confined quarters I have to say it's on my list of favorites. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
boston, I officially love you, too.

... I'd swoon again, but I'm worried about what you'd do with me once I'd pass out. I've seen how you are with your "affections" for Pike. :D

(still, Cranky and Lily in less than 12 hrs?? this will do wonders for my ego... until DL comes along and literally knocks me down to size again :ROFL:)

So few people are into Event Horizon, which I say is one of the best "don't turn around-it's right behind you-run--it's closer-run faster-OMG IT'S HERE!" movies evah. Plus, it has Sam Neill *swoon*.

I loved Biehn in Terminator and The Abyss. IMO he's a great supporting actor but doesn't quite have the chops as a lead.

Yeah, I'll go with that. He stole - well, almost, cause Kilmer really stole - most of the scenes he was in in Tombstone, but couldn't have carried a lead. Likewise with Aliens and Abyss. I think it speaks volumes that in Terminator the one everyone remembers is Arnie. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're talking Movies here...has anyone seen The Decent?

No, not yet... not sure I'm going to, either. Caving along seems a scary enough concept to me. Climbing rocks, rappelling from cliffs, those I'm fine with. Crawling underground where the possibility for getting stuck, lost, crushed, and/or drowned is enough without the mutant zombies, thankyouverymuch.

Yes, it freaks me out, and I'm not even claustrophobic. :eek:

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I just remembered another one...saw it the other night on encore...The Running Man. Cheesy one liners, but still. LOL

Arnie, right? Ah, I like that one. Not as much as Predator (the first, not the second which was just... ugh... and don't even get me started on AVP. Some things should just not happen. *shudders*)

Of course, the odd thing about Running Man was that it was conceived of in an era before reality tv. Nowadays, aside from the hideous orange and yellow jumpsuits, it all seems scarily plausible.

Kmcelhinny

Registered
Reaction score
No, not yet... not sure I'm going to, either. Caving along seems a scary enough concept to me. Climbing rocks, rappelling from cliffs, those I'm fine with. Crawling underground where the possibility for getting stuck, lost, crushed, and/or drowned is enough without the mutant zombies, thankyouverymuch.

Yes, it freaks me out, and I'm not even claustrophobic. :eek:

Are you kidding me? It was awesome. I had to keep checking behind me for months after I'd watched it. I became Re-afraid of the dark. It was great!:Jump:

I don't get nightmares from many things, but this...did it for me.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay, here's my ranking...

The Thing (1982) & Aliens (tie for #1)
Event Horizon (#2 because of its horrific aspects)
Alien (beaten by EH because they didn;t play the horror up enough in favor of showing Sigourney Weaver undressing)
Abyss (mainly a SF picture, but with some horror and romance thrown in for good measure)

All of the above can be considered haunted house movies set in space or the ocean or the Antarctic. The Thing (1982) has elements in it which can tie it to both Stephen King's The Tommyknockers and HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness. The Abyss has certain similarities to the older Australian movie The Wave, particularly the ending.

Haunted house movies do not have to be ambivalent towards action. There are even a few that have a great deal of intentional humor in them plus a good bit of action (I wish I could remember the name of the movie where some madman built a machine that trapped ghosts inide it and the house then trapped some investigators).

Sorry, but Pitch Black doesn't even rate in my book right now. I'd place movies like Wrong Turn way above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.